Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:16 pm 

Hi everybody,looking for some guidance here I've searched but can't quite find anything that applies specifically to us. We have been left to run a small business which owns and runs 3 fully expensed hackney cars. My question is how do the drivers stay within the parameters of self employment. At the moment we split the take,they dictate what hours they work and even take the bookings directly between them. We do not charge for the cars. We are on a fairly steep learning curve here and any help would be appreciated. Our accountant is uncomfortable with the current set up and thinks we should lease the cars back to create some element of "risk" for the drivers. Sorry a bit long winded but really could use the advice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:30 pm 

smolds wrote:
Hi everybody,looking for some guidance here I've searched but can't quite find anything that applies specifically to us. We have been left to run a small business which owns and runs 3 fully expensed hackney cars. My question is how do the drivers stay within the parameters of self employment. At the moment we split the take,they dictate what hours they work and even take the bookings directly between them. We do not charge for the cars. We are on a fairly steep learning curve here and any help would be appreciated. Our accountant is uncomfortable with the current set up and thinks we should lease the cars back to create some element of "risk" for the drivers. Sorry a bit long winded but really could use the advice

You could contact the revenue.....or check out some of the threads on here.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:01 pm 

I'd rent the buggers out and be damned :lol: You maintain the vehicles and they drive it keeping what they earn. Run 2 12 hour shifts per vehicle at a set rent. Make sure the rent is enough to maintain the vehicles to a good standard. You are of course in danger of becoming a 'taxi baron' and to hell you will go, but, wtf :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:28 pm 

toots wrote:
I'd rent the buggers out and be damned :lol: You maintain the vehicles and they drive it keeping what they earn. Run 2 12 hour shifts per vehicle at a set rent. Make sure the rent is enough to maintain the vehicles to a good standard. You are of course in danger of becoming a 'taxi baron' and to hell you will go, but, wtf :D

Thats exactly what I do only day on day off. Everyone is happy :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:57 pm 

Thanks for the comments. Toots what is the norm regarding fuel we pay or the drivers. What about account work presumably you would knock it off the rentals. With 2 shifts are you still only charging one weekly rate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:18 pm 

If the only work they get is off you i.e. via a radio/phone, then they are employed by you IMO, as you pay for everything and you income is dependant on what they take.

If however they take loads of work of the rank/streets, then they could be viewed as self-employed. But I would suggest a rental deal to make sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:31 am 

smolds wrote:
Thanks for the comments. Toots what is the norm regarding fuel we pay or the drivers. What about account work presumably you would knock it off the rentals. With 2 shifts are you still only charging one weekly rate?

The fuel would be their bill athough if it is rented out to on 2 shifts the drivers would have to come to some arrangement as to how much is left in the tank at change over. The account work would be knocked off the rental charge. With the 2 shift system the drivers can rent either for 12 hours or 24 hours perhaps with a little discount if they rented for 24 hours. The rates for rental vary in each area but supposing you charged £150 for a 12 hour 7 days shift or £250 for 24 hour 7 days shift. Obviously the rate is entirely upto you. Good luck anyway and save a seat for me when you get to hell O:) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:28 pm 

Thanks for all your help guys.some good pointers and very much appreciated.toots we are already going to hell just hope this gives us access to the vip lounge :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:49 pm 

http://weeklyconsumertips.co.uk/Online- ... t202kw=cpx