Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Drivers Pay
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:06 pm 

eusasmiles.zip Well guys here is a major shock for all you owners,did you know that by law you must pay any driver working for you the minumum wage, no matter how much they bring in,You can give them more not less Thats if the car does not belong to the driver or any of the equipment and is only named on the insurance doc,
And you as the owner is responcible for the drivers tax and national insurance,
You cannot claim the driver is self employed when going by the above, if the driver even agrees to a split bag he is still an employee and again you are responceble for his tax and ni
You can all check this out by calling the inland revenue who will gladly tell you the same thing as above or even the DTI
Aparently the taxman has writen to all councils in the uk asking for a full list of operators and drivers and will be getting in touch with us all very shortly. the only people not afected are the operator drivers eusasmiles.zip eusasmiles.zip

Post subject: Re: Drivers Pay
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:05 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
eusasmiles.zip Well guys here is a major shock for all you owners,did you know that by law you must pay any driver working for you the minumum wage, no matter how much they bring in

And quite right too.

Post subject: Re: Drivers Pay
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:14 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
eusasmiles.zip Well guys here is a major shock for all you owners,did you know that by law you must pay any driver working for you the minumum wage, no matter how much they bring in,You can give them more not less Thats if the car does not belong to the driver or any of the equipment and is only named on the insurance doc,
And you as the owner is responcible for the drivers tax and national insurance,
You cannot claim the driver is self employed when going by the above, if the driver even agrees to a split bag he is still an employee and again you are responceble for his tax and ni
You can all check this out by calling the inland revenue who will gladly tell you the same thing as above or even the DTI
Aparently the taxman has writen to all councils in the uk asking for a full list of operators and drivers and will be getting in touch with us all very shortly. the only people not afected are the operator drivers eusasmiles.zip eusasmiles.zip

Interesting stuff Skippy, I've always thougth that the self-employed status of jockies was decidedly dodgy in a lot of cases, and that the IR had turned a blind eye to the issue re the minimum wage, which the IR enforces.

If you are correct it will turn the trade upside down in many areas, and will make major inroads into the black economy, but I'm not holding my breath, given the amount of drivers breaking the law by working 'on the side''.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:26 am 

Have you a link to a site on this skippy or is is hearsay?

regards

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:13 am 

I do not have a link but I do have the phone number of the ilr and that is 08456000678 ask for sentral information unit
And the e mail address of the person at the dti and that is
mpst.sutcliffe@dti.gsi.gov.uk
Then light the blue touch paper and run :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:35 pm 

i think i've posted before on here (or the old forum) about this.

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/pdfs/ir148.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:52 am 

we have allways paid our drivers by commision and employed them paying all thier tax and nat ins and paying them holiday pay but very few other companies in our area do likewise it makes it a lot harder for us to recruit staff as so many drivers seem to like to work on the side drifting from one company to another as i have said on another thread o for a level playing fieild