Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Taxis and the Internet
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:59 pm 

Hi All

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm one of the directors at taxicode.com and wanted to offer my assistance. We've got a massive insight in how the internet is affecting the taxi industry and how the growth of smart phones is having a big impact on where businesses should advertise their services. We've seen online booking growth of well over 100% this year and we expect it to continue. I'm interested to know what the industry thinks of the internet and how it is helping or hindering their business.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:05 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I hope you,ve got a bomb proof bunker and your tin hat on we get loads of companies offering internet booking services on here and they usually get fired on from all angles !

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:11 pm 
Honestly Jonathan, the mobile phone has been the biggest killer so far, but the net I guess eventually will also have it's hammer out as well,

Could eventually mean the death of the PH office (which wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen) eventually it could become workable to be a one man office with no overheads to pay, who simply selects the custom he requires, at least this way someone who gives good service would do ok, and a tom tom addict would fail.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:40 pm 

Doom wrote:
Honestly Jonathan, the mobile phone has been the biggest killer so far, but the net I guess eventually will also have it's hammer out as well.

If you think that's bad, just wait 'til 'Beam me up Scotty' becomes a reality!!

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:16 pm 
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Doom wrote:
Honestly Jonathan, the mobile phone has been the biggest killer so far, but the net I guess eventually will also have it's hammer out as well.

If you think that's bad, just wait 'til 'Beam me up Scotty' becomes a reality!!

Yeah, I don't think it's gonna happen in out lifetime Brum, but eventually it will come, that's if we aren't all just brains sitting in a clear plastic bowl by then having a proper out of body experience.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:16 pm 

Doom wrote:
Honestly Jonathan, the mobile phone has been the biggest killer so far, but the net I guess eventually will also have it's hammer out as well,

Quote:
Could eventually mean the death of the PH office (which wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen) eventually it could become workable to be a one man office with no overheads to pay, who simply selects the custom he requires, at least this way someone who gives good service would do ok, and a tom tom addict would fail.

Have you still got your 2 tin cans and a bit of string doom, I have been working like that since the first mobile car phones where introduced, about 24 years ago, I get calls emails and BBM for a cab on my Blackberry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:50 pm 

JonathanK wrote:
I'm interested to know what the industry thinks of the internet and how it is helping or hindering their business.

Don't think it's hindering anyone, just isn't helping that many.

The internet is no good for the vast amount of work we do, as grannies in shops and pi**heads in pubs ain't going to surf the web for a cab.

The small part of the market where the internet does work is for longer distance/airport work, or maybe chauffeur work. However the more sites that advertise this work the lower the price the drivers receive.

So maybe these sites should be advertised to punters, cos they do us no favours.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:10 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:17 pm 

JonathanK wrote:
Hi All

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm one of the directors at taxicode.com and wanted to offer my assistance. We've got a massive insight in how the internet is affecting the taxi industry and how the growth of smart phones is having a big impact on where businesses should advertise their services. We've seen online booking growth of well over 100% this year and we expect it to continue. I'm interested to know what the industry thinks of the internet and how it is helping or hindering their business.

Incoming Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:57 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Ni Ni Ni Ni Ni NI

Your tanks shall not pass until you build a shwubbewy

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:44 am 

e-com sites for taxi trade are going to have difficulties being seen from a SEO point of view. It isn't the trade per se, but the demands of algorythyms which are demanding more targeted and rich content, which is difficult for the owner on a service based industry. In order to find company 'a' you would have to search for them - in which case they will call them anyway.

Apps have been done over and over - you can download apps to order a taxi using geo-location and these are widely available - but are they commonly used outside cities?

M-com will improve matters, and will take over as they are designed for goods and services - but it will be far more individual and cannot be managed by one company. It won't kill the office, as payment notification if paying via the phone would go to the account holder and not the driver so this would mean having someone there to confirm payment received - so it could be argued that it would be more time consuming than just an app to order a taxi and paying for it the old fashioned way - it does has a place for the ones that have no cash on them though!