Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:41 pm 

I have a restricted PCV licence that at the moment I do not use. I want to put this licence on a car to do some work. Can anyone recomend an insurance company who will cover the car for hire and reward, at a reasonable price? Any comments welcome. Regards John. :P

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:33 pm 

why not just plate hackney?........... (BOT is easy int it?)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:03 pm 

JOHNBREWER wrote:
I have a restricted PCV licence that at the moment I do not use. I want to put this licence on a car to do some work. Can anyone recomend an insurance company who will cover the car for hire and reward, at a reasonable price? Any comments welcome. Regards John. :P

Might find some in here.

http://www.thechauffeur.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:29 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:

The vehicle is probably outside the age range for first plate.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:12 am 

grandad wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

The vehicle is probably outside the age range for first plate.

well I hate to be a b1tch but.....we all play by the rules........im sure John will too............

If he WANTS a cab he will have to GET a cab....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:46 pm 

JOHNBREWER wrote:
If you get caught by VOSA with a restricted PSV disc on a vehicle with under 9 passenger seats, you will be hauled up on a Public Inquiry and almost certainly lose the restricted licence and your professional repute.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:18 am 

roythebus wrote:
JOHNBREWER wrote:
If you get caught by VOSA with a restricted PSV disc on a vehicle with under 9 passenger seats, you will be hauled up on a Public Inquiry and almost certainly lose the restricted licence and your professional repute.

That is very interesting because there is a post on here about a lady with a restricted psv who was prosecuted and lost her operators license because she was only licensed to carry 8 passengers. I also know many people who have a restricted ops license who can only carry up to 8 passengers as a condition of that license.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:54 pm 

It depends on the conditions of the restricted licence granted by the Traffic Commissioner. There is "loophole" in the PSV licencing regime that allows a PSV operator to use up to 10% of his licence allocation on vehicles with fewer than 9 passenger seats. My company uses 1 disc on such a vehicle and has a letter from the TC's office permitting it to do so.

This exemption was to allow companies such as Wallace Arnold, who used to run coach tours, to run under 8 seat minibuses as feeders to their main tours. These minibuses could be used anywhere in the country and offered flexibility that would not be possible under the LGA regime.

However, it is my understanding that since the advent of the stretch limo and novelty vehicle market, a substantial number of those operators have tried to licence all sorts of vehciles under either the LGA or PSV regs. The Traffic Commissioners in their wisdom when granting new licences, now put the rider on the licence that a proper PSV operator shall not use any vehicles with under 9 passenger seats on that licence, and any such vehciles under 9 seats in posession shall be licenced as private hire with the local authority. That also applies to restricted licences, which are designed for a taxi/ph business that needs the use of up to 2 16 seaters but not as part of their main business, without the strictness of the PSV licencing regime.

Luckily my company's PSV licence was issued before the rules changed and has no limitationsas to the use of 1 vehicle with under 9 seats. :D