Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:15 am
Posts: 132
Location: Colon
A passenger who's a former/retired cabbie asked me this question today. I could not answer @$^$£^£%&

Can someone who is not a licensed Operator or PH Driver own and make available for hire licensed PHVs?

Clarification:
The phv owner only owns and licenses the vehicles. The driver(s) and/or Operator are different entities duly licensed.

_________________
LiLo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:22 pm
Posts: 14142
Location: On the move
theCrab wrote:
A passenger who's a former/retired cabbie asked me this question today. I could not answer @$^$£^£%&

Can someone who is not a licensed Operator or PH Driver own and make available for hire licensed PHVs?

Clarification:
The phv owner only owns and licenses the vehicles. The driver(s) and/or Operator are different entities duly licensed.


Yes

_________________
Note to self: Just because it pops into my head does NOT mean it should come out of my mouth!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 43356
Location: 1066 Country
theCrab wrote:
Can someone who is not a licensed Operator or PH Driver own and make available for hire licensed PHVs?

He would be a licensed proprietor, and need to be 'fit and proper' to own, but he wouldn't need his own PH ops license.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 pm
Posts: 17787
Sussex wrote:
theCrab wrote:
Can someone who is not a licensed Operator or PH Driver own and make available for hire licensed PHVs?

He would be a licensed proprietor, and need to be 'fit and proper' to own, but he wouldn't need his own PH ops license.

I have never heard of a proprietors license? where would someone get one of those? Our council issue Operators licenses, drivers licenses and vehicle licenses.

_________________
Grandad,
old fart with no heart


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:25 pm
Posts: 338
Location: Glasgow
depends where he is


our council only issue base licences, Driver and Vehicle but no ops licence (base is only required if you run over 3 cars)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:31 pm
Posts: 12045
Location: Aberdeen
Foxtrot26 wrote:
depends where he is


our council only issue base licences, Driver and Vehicle but no ops licence (base is only required if you run over 3 cars)


Scottish law is different.

_________________
Image
http://wingsoverscotland.com/ http://www.newsnetscotland.com/
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 22097
Location: A City near Birmingham
theCrab wrote:
The phv owner only owns and licenses the vehicles. The driver(s) and/or Operator are different entities duly licensed.


I have a niggling doubt about the whole car renting thing, HC and PH, if our base rents out a car isnt that self-drive hire?

ALSO, are the car renters properly self employed as per HMRC rules as im sure 1 stipulation is that they must have made an investment in the business (their own business), which they clearly havent

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 22097
Location: A City near Birmingham
Car renters..


Sole traders and partners are classed as self-employed by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

You’re probably self-employed if you:

run your business for yourself and take responsibility for its success or failure..........MAYBE
have several customers at the same time............................................................MAYBE
can decide how, where and when you do your work..............................................YES
can hire other people at your own expense to help you or to do the work for you......NO


provide the main items of equipment to do your work...........................................NO


are responsible for finishing any unsatisfactory work in your own time....................MAYBE
charge an agreed fixed price for your work..........................................................YES
sell goods or services to make a profit.................................................................YES

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group