Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:43 pm 

A passenger who's a former/retired cabbie asked me this question today. I could not answer @$^$£^£%&

Can someone who is not a licensed Operator or PH Driver own and make available for hire licensed PHVs?

Clarification:
The phv owner only owns and licenses the vehicles. The driver(s) and/or Operator are different entities duly licensed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:56 pm 

theCrab wrote:
A passenger who's a former/retired cabbie asked me this question today. I could not answer @$^$£^£%&

Can someone who is not a licensed Operator or PH Driver own and make available for hire licensed PHVs?

Clarification:
The phv owner only owns and licenses the vehicles. The driver(s) and/or Operator are different entities duly licensed.

Yes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:28 pm 

theCrab wrote:

He would be a licensed proprietor, and need to be 'fit and proper' to own, but he wouldn't need his own PH ops license.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:34 pm 

Sussex wrote:
theCrab wrote:

He would be a licensed proprietor, and need to be 'fit and proper' to own, but he wouldn't need his own PH ops license.

I have never heard of a proprietors license? where would someone get one of those? Our council issue Operators licenses, drivers licenses and vehicle licenses.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:08 pm 

depends where he is

our council only issue base licences, Driver and Vehicle but no ops licence (base is only required if you run over 3 cars)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:34 pm 

Foxtrot26 wrote:
depends where he is

our council only issue base licences, Driver and Vehicle but no ops licence (base is only required if you run over 3 cars)

Scottish law is different.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:01 pm 

theCrab wrote:

I have a niggling doubt about the whole car renting thing, HC and PH, if our base rents out a car isnt that self-drive hire?

ALSO, are the car renters properly self employed as per HMRC rules as im sure 1 stipulation is that they must have made an investment in the business (their own business), which they clearly havent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:04 pm 

Car renters..

Sole traders and partners are classed as self-employed by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

You’re probably self-employed if you:

run your business for yourself and take responsibility for its success or failure..........MAYBE
have several customers at the same time............................................................MAYBE
can decide how, where and when you do your work..............................................YES
can hire other people at your own expense to help you or to do the work for you......NO

provide the main items of equipment to do your work...........................................NO

are responsible for finishing any unsatisfactory work in your own time....................MAYBE
charge an agreed fixed price for your work..........................................................YES
sell goods or services to make a profit.................................................................YES