Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Switching insurance
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:26 pm 

The supplier I'm getting my new car from says I have to provide fully comprehensive cover for the vehicle before they let me have it.

Problem is my current cab has the insurance. I was going to wait until I got the new one, take the old one for equipment removal, then swap the insurance to the new one and take that to get the equipment fitted.

I was thinking of getting one of those short term 1 day insurances (about £30) but the supplier says insurance companies deal with this all the time and they'll sort something out. How does that work ? Do they add the new vehicle to the existing policy or issue temporary cover for a couple of days and would there be anything to pay ?

Post subject: Re: Switching insurance
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:04 pm 

You get cover for a normal car, it's totally separate from your taxi insurance, they usually give cover for 7 days, but you will have to make sure you have transferred your taxi cover as soon as it's passed its taxi test, because it will be a taxi and not a normal car anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:47 pm 

Just telephone your broker/insurer. when I changed a vehicle a few years ago they added my new cab onto my existing policy for seven days and charged me a £50 admin fee which would have been payable even if it was a straight swap over.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:09 pm 

x-ray wrote:
Just telephone your broker/insurer. when I changed a vehicle a few years ago they added my new cab onto my existing policy for seven days and charged me a £50 admin fee which would have been payable even if it was a straight swap over.

X-Ray you and the law are not destined, you can't add an unlicensed vehicle to a taxi policy, it's not a taxi until the plate,badge ect has been issued.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:53 pm 

mancityfan wrote:
x-ray wrote:

X-Ray you and the law are not destined, you can't add an unlicensed vehicle to a taxi policy, it's not a taxi until the plate,badge ect has been issued.

My fleet policy covers private hire vehicles, hackney carriage vehicles, pcv vehicles and private cars.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:45 am 

mancityfan wrote:
x-ray wrote:

Rubbish !
If we believe your logic, how do you get insurance on a new Taxi before you license it ?
My vehicle is a vito taxi and states so on the log book, If I try to insure it anywhere the reg no will tell them its a taxi, so do I then tell them it isn't ???

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:16 am 

Quote:
My vehicle is a vito taxi and states so on the log book, If I try to insure it anywhere the reg no will tell them its a taxi, so do I then tell them it isn't ???

Theres a lot of old Black Cabs that are on the Road as private vehicles, they can get insured for Social, Domestic and Pleasure use but have bugger all to do with Taxiing, matters not what your V5c says but what you use it for...I used to own a Ford Galaxy but I never Insured it or used it for inter Galactic Space travel just because it hard the word Galaxy on the V5c.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:30 am 

bloodnock wrote:
I used to own a Ford Galaxy but I never Insured it or used it for inter Galactic Space travel just because it hard the word Galaxy on the V5c.

I should think not with the fuel consumption figures on them things.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:57 pm 

Thanks. I'll have a chat with the broker and see what they can do.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:20 pm 

When i bought a van a couple of years ago! nothing to do with taxi or anything.. i needed insurance for the new car i was buying.. my insurance said on the day i bought the car both vehicles will be insured to drive as i was part ex my old one, there was no charge but if you ask them they may charge you little extra to keep it insured for a couple of weeks.