Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: which union ?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:35 pm
Posts: 1810
Several drivers have told me they are considering joining a union as they are fed up with the way their companies are treating them, but which is best for the self-employed p/h driver ?

Seems to be three choices;
Unison : More of a local government/public sector union, not sure if self employed can join.
Unite : Open to everyone, looks like they are supportive and campaigning of the whole sham self employment issue.
GMB : General union, looks like anyone can join, have backed self employment cases at court.

Out of the three I'm leaning towards Unite, but the GMB were the ones backing the claim against Pimlico plumbers which could be handy in the future.
The problem with all three is they won't provide assistance for an employment issue that occurs before joining, so if you get sacked then join a union they wont help you. You have to have already been a member (14 days with unite).

Concerns have been raised with a local MP about the whole self employed/employee/worker under direction issue and taxi drivers round my way and it might help in the future to have some help with costs and advice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: which union ?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:56 pm
Posts: 1686
sasha wrote:
Several drivers have told me they are considering joining a union as they are fed up with the way their companies are treating them, but which is best for the self-employed p/h driver ?

Seems to be three choices;
Unison : More of a local government/public sector union, not sure if self employed can join.
Unite : Open to everyone, looks like they are supportive and campaigning of the whole sham self employment issue.
GMB : General union, looks like anyone can join, have backed self employment cases at court.

Out of the three I'm leaning towards Unite, but the GMB were the ones backing the claim against Pimlico plumbers which could be handy in the future.
The problem with all three is they won't provide assistance for an employment issue that occurs before joining, so if you get sacked then join a union they wont help you. You have to have already been a member (14 days with unite).

Concerns have been raised with a local MP about the whole self employed/employee/worker under direction issue and taxi drivers round my way and it might help in the future to have some help with costs and advice.



Are you sure your wanting to join for the right reasons or is it just to get financial assistance from funds that existing members have accrued.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: which union ?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:35 pm
Posts: 1810
With the way things are potentially heading, in regards to the uber case, it's something that could affect all drivers on a company.
However it looks like each case would be judged individually, meaning each driver would have to raise a case with a tribunal. The more drivers there are in a union there is the possibility that rather than being heard as seperate cases groups of drivers within one company could be heard as one case.

Each case costs £1,200 to take to tribunal, on top of any legal fees. A union won't back anyone who's not a member and would be less likely to back individuals - but a group of 10-20 drivers ?
Yes there's the financial cost, but it's more about having the expertise and advice, and a higher chance of success and backing for a group of drivers than an individual. Once a case is heard and a judgement made it then sets a precedent that others can follow. Someone has to take the first step though.

I paid into Unison for 20 years and never needed them, but this is about drivers all over the country and what their rights and entitlements are(if any). Even if just to clarify what control companies have over drivers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: which union ?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:56 pm
Posts: 1686
sasha wrote:
With the way things are potentially heading, in regards to the uber case, it's something that could affect all drivers on a company.
However it looks like each case would be judged individually, meaning each driver would have to raise a case with a tribunal. The more drivers there are in a union there is the possibility that rather than being heard as seperate cases groups of drivers within one company could be heard as one case.

Each case costs £1,200 to take to tribunal, on top of any legal fees. A union won't back anyone who's not a member and would be less likely to back individuals - but a group of 10-20 drivers ?
Yes there's the financial cost, but it's more about having the expertise and advice, and a higher chance of success and backing for a group of drivers than an individual. Once a case is heard and a judgement made it then sets a precedent that others can follow. Someone has to take the first step though.

I paid into Unison for 20 years and never needed them, but this is about drivers all over the country and what their rights and entitlements are(if any). Even if just to clarify what control companies have over drivers.



Why did you stop paying to Unison? Again it raises its head " I have a problem,better join some organisation to solve it"
Cannot understand why everyone is not in one of the trade organisations,it only costs a few quid a year to be a member and accrue a fighting fund from day one,Uber is not the only problem,every private hire operator will do their utmost to not pay holiday or sick pay or have a pension scheme for all employees to participate in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: which union ?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:45 am
Posts: 9782
Location: Clandestine, soon to be Russia.
sasha wrote:
Several drivers have told me they are considering joining a union as they are fed up with the way their companies are treating them, but which is best for the self-employed p/h driver ?

Seems to be three choices;
Unison : More of a local government/public sector union, not sure if self employed can join.
Unite : Open to everyone, looks like they are supportive and campaigning of the whole sham self employment issue.
GMB : General union, looks like anyone can join, have backed self employment cases at court.

Out of the three I'm leaning towards Unite, but the GMB were the ones backing the claim against Pimlico plumbers which could be handy in the future.
The problem with all three is they won't provide assistance for an employment issue that occurs before joining, so if you get sacked then join a union they wont help you. You have to have already been a member (14 days with unite).

Concerns have been raised with a local MP about the whole self employed/employee/worker under direction issue and taxi drivers round my way and it might help in the future to have some help with costs and advice.



You can't join a union and expect thousands of pounds in legal fees off the bat. They'll see through it like a glass eye.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: which union ?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:35 pm
Posts: 1810
Nidge2 wrote:
You can't join a union and expect thousands of pounds in legal fees off the bat. They'll see through it like a glass eye.
I wouldn't expect it as an individual. But for a nationwide issue such as clarifying employment status that could affect thousands of drivers ? And not just those in the taxi trade but anyone called self-employed but actually being treated as an employee but not given any of the benefits.

Strange that when you actually talk about union stuff Trotsky doesn't comment, all bluff. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: which union ?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 22060
Location: A City near Birmingham
sasha wrote:
Nidge2 wrote:
You can't join a union and expect thousands of pounds in legal fees off the bat. They'll see through it like a glass eye.
I wouldn't expect it as an individual. But for a nationwide issue such as clarifying employment status that could affect thousands of drivers ? And not just those in the taxi trade but anyone called self-employed but actually being treated as an employee but not given any of the benefits.

Strange that when you actually talk about union stuff Trotsky doesn't comment, all bluff. :roll:



Be fair, his meds have kicked in


who really thinks a jockey is employed?

and if he dont like it he can leave

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group