Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: TAXMAN TAKING CAB?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:13 pm 

If you owe the taxman money. cn he take your HAckney cab or is t classed as "tools of your trade"?
regards
mark

Post subject: Re: TAXMAN TAKING CAB?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:01 pm 

mavernon wrote:
If you owe the taxman money. cn he take your HAckney cab or is t classed as "tools of your trade"?
regards
mark

the IR would normally persue you through the courts via the CCJ system, this is when you can state your case and agree a repayment scheme with the judge, you can even go as low as £1 a month token payments if you can prove your hard up. if you make no attempt to defend yourself or ignore the CCJ and if the amount owed is over £750 then they might apply for bankruptcy. they are one of the few who actually carry out that threat.

if it gets to that stage, then it depends on what the cab is worth at auction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:01 pm 

He cannot take the cab if it's in your wife's name or your mum or dad, sell it to them and declare yourself bankrupt, and went you are asked what you did with the money from the cab, just tell them you lived off it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:17 pm 

MR T wrote:
He cannot take the cab if it's in your wife's name or your mum or dad, sell it to them and declare yourself bankrupt, and went you are asked what you did with the money from the cab, just tell them you lived off it :wink:

that could be seen as a delibarate attempt to keep an asset away from the offical reciever and you could end up getting a restriction order (longer bankruptcy) for doing it.

if it goes as far as bankruptcy then i doubt they will be interested in the cab unless it is worth a lot of money. they would be more likely to let you keep it so you can work and then give you a 3 year IPA (income payment agreement). this would be 40-60% of your excess money after everything is paid for. plus for the first tax year, any tax that you would have paid to the IR you pay to them instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:36 pm 

steveo wrote:
MR T wrote:

that could be seen as a delibarate attempt to keep an asset away from the offical reciever and you could end up getting a restriction order (longer bankruptcy) for doing it.

if it goes as far as bankruptcy then i doubt they will be interested in the cab unless it is worth a lot of money. they would be more likely to let you keep it so you can work and then give you a 3 year IPA (income payment agreement). this would be 40-60% of your excess money after everything is paid for. plus for the first tax year, any tax that you would have paid to the IR you pay to them instead.

Yes I know what you mean, if the cabs on Finance's then it belongs to the finance company anyway, so they can't take that, bankruptcies at the moment are usually beening dealt with in a six to eight-month period, one person I know down here, made himself bankrupt in January and was discharged in July , sold his cab to his father and declared that he was renting the vehicle from him.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:52 pm 

Thanks a lot guys. i owe ir about 6k. i have been paying 80 -100 pounds a week but have had to miss a few weeks. i want to pay them. i am not trying to get out of paying. they sent me a a computerised standard letter threatening "Distraint". fortunately i rent my house and my landlord happens to br my best mate so...... no mortgage, no assets on paper.
i have written to them asking if i can pay 50 pounds a week into my local ir office but have had no reply yet.my love of my life tx1 silver is worth about 9k, but worked too hard to pay for it to lose it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:25 pm 

mavernon wrote:
Thanks a lot guys. i owe ir about 6k. i have been paying 80 -100 pounds a week but have had to miss a few weeks. i want to pay them. i am not trying to get out of paying. they sent me a a computerised standard letter threatening "Distraint". fortunately i rent my house and my landlord happens to br my best mate so...... no mortgage, no assets on paper

So they haven't issued a CCJ yet?

if that is the case then you should be OK, as long as you keep paying them regualr.

if they do take you to court the first thing you do is apply to have the case heard at you local court so you can then go along in person to pled your case. the fact that you have already been paying installments is in your favour.

they may try and do you for the full whack, but you can then apply for a variation order where you give the judge a copy of you income and outgoings and he the sets an affordable firgure for you to pay. but ffs make you you keep up the payments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:01 pm 

you might learn what balliffs can and cant do tonight on BBC1 9pm.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5377488.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:39 am 
Go to your local Citizen Advice Debt Centre and tell them the problems you have had repaying the amount. Ask them to do a review of your finances - incomings (bearing in mind the time of year), outgoings etc and work out an amount that you can afford to pay each week / month regardless of the time of year. Ask them to send a letter on your behalf (they do this free) asking the IR to accept payment at £X per week /month.

This is a major benefit on your behalf for two reasons:-

1. the letter comes from an "appropriate" body and that gives it some weight in your favour; and more importantly
2. if this does get to a County Court hearing / application for Judgement the CAB are a very good line of defence and will provide free legal representation for you.

Another way to secure your cab springs to mind but I'll PM you that one :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:42 am 

I think you will find that if you sell it to your wife they can still take it, because you are married half of your wifes stuff is yours and vice versa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:28 am 

Sell his wife? That's going a bit far. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:33 am 

Location: Grim North, Carrot Crunchers and Codhead Country, North of Watford Gap
rambo wrote:
I think you will find that if you sell it to your wife they can still take it, because you are married half of your wifes stuff is yours and vice versa.

no, your debt's are not your wife's debt's unless they are secured debt's, things have changed over the years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:18 pm 

[url]www.debtquestions.co.uk/debt_forum

All your questions can be answered on there mate[/url]