Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Too tall to drive taxi?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:09 pm 

Hi,

Feeling down about this and could do with any solutions if out there.

I drive a Black Tx2 and have recently greatly increased my hours. However, it's causing me really bad knee pains because of the cramped drivers space. Been to the physio, tried various other cabs (m8 just the same and e7 horrendous for space). I'm 6ft 2 so yeah tall but not massive and I wonder what other tall drivers do in this situation? I've been tempted to remove the back rest and possibly have the pedals lowered, anything.

If this new metrocab has more drivers space I don't care about performance, I'm getting one!

Any suggestions, stories, advice greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:12 pm 

jwthomson81 wrote:
Hi,

Feeling down about this and could do with any solutions if out there.

I drive a Black Tx2 and have recently greatly increased my hours. However, it's causing me really bad knee pains because of the cramped drivers space. Been to the physio, tried various other cabs (m8 just the same and e7 horrendous for space). I'm 6ft 2 so yeah tall but not massive and I wonder what other tall drivers do in this situation? I've been tempted to remove the back rest and possibly have the pedals lowered, anything.

If this new metrocab has more drivers space I don't care about performance, I'm getting one!

Any suggestions, stories, advice greatly appreciated.

Would some large cushions help, or would that leave you bumping your head? :?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:40 pm 

You have my sympathy, I am 6ft 4inches. All LTI or LTC or whatever they are called this week are built for ex Jockeys to drive, there just is not room for a fully grown adult to be in the front.

When I started I drove a Metrocab, a smaller seat and smaller steering wheel helped a bit, but I was going to give the job up due to the same problems you outline. We are 100% WAV in Plymouth and we used to follow the PCO conditions, so I was snookered. Then they let in the bread van, I tried one, still too small for me and I was leaving the yard. The Salesman stopped me and suggested I try their old demonstrator, it was the old shape. That was better and moving the seat rails back sorted it out for me.

Now I am snookered again - I need a new Cab and they are all too damn small in the front - I am praying that the new Metrocab has accommodation for a full sized chap to be comfortable.

If you find a WAV that fits, let me know. If I do, I will of course do the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:22 am 

I dont understand why you have a sore knee?

i am 6.2 and i find its ok.. its a squeeze with the steering wheel getting in and out but once in its ok! stretch my legs now and then help with peoples shopping keeps legs moving. Is it a manual?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:27 am 

Have you tried the merc vito, driver here 6-10 and about 20 stone drives it NP, even a VW caravel has more room

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:59 am 

A quart will NOT go into a pint pot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:50 am 

matty86 wrote:

i am 6.2 and i find its ok.. its a squeeze with the steering wheel getting in and out but once in its ok! stretch my legs now and then help with peoples shopping keeps legs moving. Is it a manual?

I do what you do re getting out, but in the old metro I suffered both knees aching like hell and lower back pain, all of this was constant. Two days off and things would be getting better, four hours back in the Taxi and it was bad again.

In the replacement vehicle I can't say I have never had a problem, but it is much less, to the point of almost being insignificant.

One driver in Plymouth is taller than me, he seems able to drive anything with no real problem. It turns out that my leg and arm lengths are longer than his, his trunk is much longer than mine.

I would love to sit in the new metrocab, just to see if it fits. As Plymouth is all on hills, unlike London which is flat as a dish, I wonder how the Electric power train will cope, but, how I will cope is actually more important.

Why are vehicle producers so "Size limited" when it comes to the driver?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:22 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:
matty86 wrote:

I do what you do re getting out, but in the old metro I suffered both knees aching like hell and lower back pain, all of this was constant. Two days off and things would be getting better, four hours back in the Taxi and it was bad again.

In the replacement vehicle I can't say I have never had a problem, but it is much less, to the point of almost being insignificant.

One driver in Plymouth is taller than me, he seems able to drive anything with no real problem. It turns out that my leg and arm lengths are longer than his, his trunk is much longer than mine.

I would love to sit in the new metrocab, just to see if it fits. As Plymouth is all on hills, unlike London which is flat as a dish, I wonder how the Electric power train will cope, but, how I will cope is actually more important.

Why are vehicle producers so "Size limited" when it comes to the driver?

I know someone in Carlisle, his arms are short so he cannot reach his pockets :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:09 am 

Cheers Chris it's nice to hear someone else has had problems with this. I'm exactly the same, had a week off on holiday and knees went back to feeling great. Few hours back in the taxi and then the pain and discomfort started. This replacement vehicle that you mentioned, is it the merc vito?

Skippy I hadn't considered the merc vito, just assumed the dimensions were exactly the same as the m8, will look into this. Thank god there's more choice out there for black cabs these days, gives me a bit hope that I'm not saddled with lti's cramped contraptions forever.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:58 am 

jwthomson81 wrote:
Cheers Chris it's nice to hear someone else has had problems with this. I'm exactly the same, had a week off on holiday and knees went back to feeling great. Few hours back in the taxi and then the pain and discomfort started. This replacement vehicle that you mentioned, is it the merc vito?

Skippy I hadn't considered the merc vito, just assumed the dimensions were exactly the same as the m8, will look into this. Thank god there's more choice out there for black cabs these days, gives me a bit hope that I'm not saddled with lti's cramped contraptions forever.

You'll never get a decent sized TX or a converted van for the driver. I'm 6ft 3ins and have the same problem, they're just aren't big enough for the driver who's over 5ft 9ins.

The partition screen needs coming back a good foot IMO.

Short of getting a LWB vehicle and making the driver area more spacious the companies aren't going to do that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:31 pm 

Nidge2 wrote:
jwthomson81 wrote:

You'll never get a decent sized TX or a converted van for the driver. I'm 6ft 3ins and have the same problem, they're just aren't big enough for the driver who's over 5ft 9ins.

Short of getting a LWB vehicle and making the driver area more spacious the companies aren't going to do that.

the E7 things come in std and LWB form dont they?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:48 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
Nidge2 wrote:
jwthomson81 wrote:

the E7 things come in std and LWB form dont they?

I think they now do an auto one now as well

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:39 pm 

I'm over six foot and have drove the fx4/fairway shape for over 20 years,never really had a problem.I guess it helps if you have a good seat,the best I've found is the Recaro but it'd be down to personal preference.Also helps getting out and stretching your legs whenever you can.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:07 pm 

Why is your knee getting sore though? is it because its nocking on something or because its a manual? or is it just because your leg isn't positioned right?

I would have thought it would be your back that hurts if there's not enough room.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:28 pm 

jwthomson81 wrote:

No it is not the Merc, it is the Old, and I mean Old, Fiat Scudo. They took out the fire extinguisher which was behind the drivers seat, removed the seat, removed the rails the seat goes forward/backward on, moved the rails back and re-secured them.
Now I have to replace the vehicle due to "Emissions", the vehicle age by the back door scam that LA's like so much. What I will get, I don't know.
Problem with the LWB versions seems to be that the Driver position/space is unchanged, the room generated is just in the passenger compartment.
If you find something WAV that fits an adult driver PLEASE let me know.