Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:25 pm 

The Aircon is.........

.....FIXED! =D> =D> =D> =D>

It was a broken pressure switch.

Ran it for about 15 minutes, then turned it off because I was bloody freezing!

So now all is marvellous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:10 pm 

If anyone is interested, still marvellous.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:37 am 

Cool man ..Cool..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:06 pm 

The transit seems to be the vehicle of choice now here in Chester. I think out of the last 10 cabs plated ( some new plates some replacements) about 8 of them have been transits with 1 Merc and 1 E7. Biggest mileage is about 40,000 and no problems with them yet.
For me, I'll stick with my Penso built vito. I'm 6'3" and there's plenty of room.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:53 pm 

x-ray wrote:
The transit seems to be the vehicle of choice now here in Chester. I think out of the last 10 cabs plated ( some new plates some replacements) about 8 of them have been transits with 1 Merc and 1 E7. Biggest mileage is about 40,000 and no problems with them yet.
For me, I'll stick with my Penso built vito. I'm 6'3" and there's plenty of room.

You can't beat a Transit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:44 pm 

There was a bit of a 'coming together ' of two taxis on the rank here today. The driver of a 6 month old transit was pulling out of a parking space in the car park we use as a waiting area before joining the feeder rank when a vito driver opened his door, it knocked into the transit and was bumped along it until finding the gap between the rear sliding door and rear Quarter panel of the transit and lodged itself there. The resulting damage is over £4000 to the transit. The vito was in the garage for 10mins having the door re-aligned. There's not even a scratch on the door itself though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:23 am 

x-ray wrote:
There was a bit of a 'coming together ' of two taxis on the rank here today. The driver of a 6 month old transit was pulling out of a parking space in the car park we use as a waiting area before joining the feeder rank when a vito driver opened his door, it knocked into the transit and was bumped along it until finding the gap between the rear sliding door and rear Quarter panel of the transit and lodged itself there. The resulting damage is over £4000 to the transit. The vito was in the garage for 10mins having the door re-aligned. There's not even a scratch on the door itself though.

I bet £3000 of that is labour charges?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:34 am 

I think so, there's a lot of work involved replacing the panel.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:13 am 

Well my bespoke LWB Tourneo has been excellent - some minor warranty problems, all sorted with no quibbles.

Seems to have impressed all my many wheelchair passengers too.

One was so impressed that when LARGE amounts of money came their way unexpectedly, they decided to get me a new one as I had always been so nice and helpful when other Cabbies wouldn’t take wheelchairs. (First they wanted to give me a £100k Charter Angling Boat which I refused.)

Permission granted today by the LA for another overall length exemption from Vehicle Conditions.

Now this is hard to believe but this is the truth.

The donor asked for a way to help all wheelchair users in Plymouth where they could see where it was helping, so not a donation to a Charity.

I suggested “Buy a Cab and Plate. Get permission for LWB and buy bespoke vehicle. Transfer the plate to the new vehicle. Sell the old vehicle without plate. Rent it to a Driver who will deal with wheelchairs. Charge rent at half(ish) the current amount. Let Driver get own insurance to build up NCD. Recover all costs. Give the Driver Cab and plate.”

This was all accepted, but changed to, in the new financial year I will be given by “Deed of Gift” (so I don’t have to pay income tax) enough money to buy a Cab and Plate and the new vehicle for cash. My existing vehicle will then be rented to a Driver, he will pay about half the going rate for renting and get his own insurance to build up NCD. In about Four and a Half years he will be given the Cab and Plate. I am to keep the rent, which is taxable, so he will pay 20% to cover that and he will still be quids in. (I am also to retain the sale price of the unwanted Cab.)

My application and other documents for the Taxi Committee meeting are here. http://web.plymouth.gov.uk/modgov?modgo ... %3BVer%3D4 (Item 6 on the Agenda.)

I will be honest, I am still in a kind of shock. This has to be the biggest “Tip” any Taxi Driver has been given, ever! I am also still not comfortable with it.

I reported the outcome of the Committee meeting to the donor. The response was “Wonderful. Now about the boat….” The money they have received is not from a lottery win, but it is in that ball park as far as amount goes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:07 pm 

Well that's a nice gesture from a member of the public and from yourself. You could have easily just took money for a boat and not give a toss about anybody else =D>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:10 pm 

Karma =D>

(I wonder what ven will receive ?)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:26 pm 

My Family had a lot to do with sea in the past, Two of my Ant's left in their wills 50k each to the Lifeboats...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:22 pm 

x-ray wrote:
Karma =D>

(I wonder what ven will receive ?)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:40 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:
Well my bespoke LWB Tourneo has been excellent - some minor warranty problems, all sorted with no quibbles.

Seems to have impressed all my many wheelchair passengers too.

One was so impressed that when LARGE amounts of money came their way unexpectedly, they decided to get me a new one as I had always been so nice and helpful when other Cabbies wouldn’t take wheelchairs. (First they wanted to give me a £100k Charter Angling Boat which I refused.)

Permission granted today by the LA for another overall length exemption from Vehicle Conditions.

Now this is hard to believe but this is the truth.

The donor asked for a way to help all wheelchair users in Plymouth where they could see where it was helping, so not a donation to a Charity.

I suggested “Buy a Cab and Plate. Get permission for LWB and buy bespoke vehicle. Transfer the plate to the new vehicle. Sell the old vehicle without plate. Rent it to a Driver who will deal with wheelchairs. Charge rent at half(ish) the current amount. Let Driver get own insurance to build up NCD. Recover all costs. Give the Driver Cab and plate.”

This was all accepted, but changed to, in the new financial year I will be given by “Deed of Gift” (so I don’t have to pay income tax) enough money to buy a Cab and Plate and the new vehicle for cash. My existing vehicle will then be rented to a Driver, he will pay about half the going rate for renting and get his own insurance to build up NCD. In about Four and a Half years he will be given the Cab and Plate. I am to keep the rent, which is taxable, so he will pay 20% to cover that and he will still be quids in. (I am also to retain the sale price of the unwanted Cab.)

My application and other documents for the Taxi Committee meeting are here. http://web.plymouth.gov.uk/modgov?modgo ... %3BVer%3D4 (Item 6 on the Agenda.)

I will be honest, I am still in a kind of shock. This has to be the biggest “Tip” any Taxi Driver has been given, ever! I am also still not comfortable with it.

I reported the outcome of the Committee meeting to the donor. The response was “Wonderful. Now about the boat….” The money they have received is not from a lottery win, but it is in that ball park as far as amount goes.

Well done =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:55 pm 

From the draft Minutes:

http://web.plymouth.gov.uk/modgov?modgo ... %3BVer%3D4

Consideration in principle to depart from the Council's current Licensing Policy in respect to the maximum Hackney Carriage vehicle length of 5000 mm - C R Wildman pdf icon PDF 5 MB

The Director of Public Health will submit a report for consideration in principle to depart from the Council’s current Licensing Policy in respect to the maximum Hackney Carriage vehicle length of 5000 mm.

Minutes:
The Committee –

(a) considered the report from the Director of Public Health and the letters of support attached;

(b) heard from Mr Wildman;

(c) heard representations from some of Mr Wildman’s passengers;

(d) took the above report and all that was said by Mr Wildman and his passengers into account;

(e) took account of the following –

· Mr Wildman informed Committee that he is called by four nursing homes in the Plymouth and South Hams area to transport passengers in powered wheelchairs;

· that the vehicle is more accessible for users of electric powered wheelchairs and allows more room for manoeuvrability of the wheelchairs within the vehicle;

· heard representations from his passengers confirming this point;

· takes passengers from the taxi rank in addition to the work generated by bookings from regular passengers in wheelchairs;

· will remain the proprietor of his current vehicle and the new one, and have a driver of the second vehicle who would also take wheelchair users;

· will be purchasing an existing vehicle licence and taxi plate meaning that the current limit on vehicle numbers will be maintained.

The Committee took all of the above and the report into consideration and also considered the Council’s Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy specifications for Hackney Carriages which states that vehicles should not exceed 5000 mm in length.

The Committee have considered the application on its own merits and in this instance are prepared to confirm in principle the departure from the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy and to delegate authority to officers the ability to grant a licence to a vehicle of the length, make and modifications detailed in this report provided the vehicle also complies with all other vehicle specification and testing addendum qualifying criteria when formal application is made.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next