Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:25 pm 

grandad wrote:
The solution is very easy.
Go and get a proper job! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for your support, my guess is that you are vertically challenged, under 5ft 9in? :roll: :roll: :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:26 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:
grandad wrote:
The solution is very easy.
Go and get a proper job! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for your support, my guess is that you are vertically challenged, under 5ft 9in? :roll: :roll: :roll:

For my weight, I should be 9ft 3in. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:43 pm 

Well the time has come. I need a new Cab. I have found a supplier who will accommodate the fully grown adult driver, but to achieve it I will have to have the Ford Torneo LWB.

Problem solved you may think, but no, I have to go through a few hoops. The LA here have a 5m vehicle length limit and the LWB is 5.399m. I have made application to have the 5m limit waived in my particular case, I have high hopes of success on it. I can after all, prove the need.

If any of you want to know the supplier or my correspondence with the LA, send a PM with your email address and I will pass the info on. I always feel that a forum should not "Advertise" so though I appreciate the work the supplier is doing for me, I don't want to be accused of spamming.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:29 pm 

I'm five feet five and three quarter, and find my E7 quite roomy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:25 pm 

jimbo wrote:
I'm five feet five and three quarter, and find my E7 quite roomy.

You would find the matchbox model accommodating I suppose!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:49 am 

You need one of these

https://youtu.be/nL6dbljs9XE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:55 am 

Chris the Fish wrote:
Well the time has come. I need a new Cab. I have found a supplier who will accommodate the fully grown adult driver, but to achieve it I will have to have the Ford Torneo LWB.

Problem solved you may think, but no, I have to go through a few hoops. The LA here have a 5m vehicle length limit and the LWB is 5.399m. I have made application to have the 5m limit waived in my particular case, I have high hopes of success on it. I can after all, prove the need.

If any of you want to know the supplier or my correspondence with the LA, send a PM with your email address and I will pass the info on. I always feel that a forum should not "Advertise" so though I appreciate the work the supplier is doing for me, I don't want to be accused of spamming.

i thought that the difference in length between the standard vehicle and the long wheel base vehicle was all in the back end. Isn't the space for the driver the same in both?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:56 am 

toots wrote:
You need one of these

https://youtu.be/nL6dbljs9XE

Is that less than the permitted 5M length?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:18 am 

grandad wrote:
Chris the Fish wrote:

i thought that the difference in length between the standard vehicle and the long wheel base vehicle was all in the back end. Isn't the space for the driver the same in both?

It's built to your own spec, so you can more at the front if you want

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:01 pm 

grandad wrote:

You are correct. But that is for an "Off the Shelf". The extra length is provided in the middle of the vehicle.

The Bandit Screen has to be fitted to the door pillars, but on the offside it will turn toward the back and then cross the back of me. Then it will turn forward, it will come further forward than the door pillars. Then it will cross the remaining 2/3 of vehicle, turn back again and meet the door pillar on the nearside.

Behind me it will go back by about 8 inches, on the passenger side it will be about 5 inches forwards of standard. It can't go further forward, I would not have a clear view to the left.

The space afforded in the LWB will allow the tip seat behind me to be far enough away from the standard rear seat. On the other side I will have more room than most to accommodate larger wheelchairs (I do more wheelchairs than most and I am happy to do so). A side benefit will be stopping the damage to the nearside tip seats on loading wheelchairs that I currently suffer.

There will be no under floor ramp, this gives nearly 3 inches more headroom, again for my larger wheelchair users. I will use telescopic ramps as I do currently.

There will be no seats (other than mine) in the front. What is the point of a Bandit Screen if you then let someone in the front? There will be three tip seats and seats for three bench style at the back.

My seat will be removed, the rails moved back and then the seat will be refitted.

If the LA allow the exception to the vehicle conditions it will fit me like a glove.

Also it means it will never be stolen by the little people. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:44 am 

Chris the Fish wrote:

Also it means it will never be stolen by the little people. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:54 am 

Well so far One full grown adult has been in touch, he has the application and associated letters to and from the LA for the exemption.

I will be in front of the Taxi Committee on 16th April to fight my corner. I will put up on here the result.

A Solicitor in my Cab suggested it may have "Human Rights" implications in that to deny me enough space (for me) by Conditions would be restricting my right to work and could have an impact on my health. I do not intend reading the whole of the 1988 Act, but if anyone has a view on this I would be interested. I don't think it will make up part of my application, but you never know.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:08 pm 

I will ask the obvious question here. Why do they have a length policy?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:27 pm 

Their reason is, and it is quite sensible, so that Taxis can fit on Ranks.

Seven cabs, all of 5.4m, would reduce rank space by 2.8m. They do have a point.

Conditions are there to be changed in necessity. Rules are fixed.

Through necessity I need the LWB. Others can plead their own case on a case by case basis. A condtion is "Right Hand Drive" vehicles, somebody with a need to use their right hand to change gear could challenge that condition for example.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:26 am 

Chris the Fish wrote:
Their reason is, and it is quite sensible, so that Taxis can fit on Ranks.

Seven cabs, all of 5.4m, would reduce rank space by 2.8m. They do have a point.

Conditions are there to be changed in necessity. Rules are fixed.

Through necessity I need the LWB. Others can plead their own case on a case by case basis. A condtion is "Right Hand Drive" vehicles, somebody with a need to use their right hand to change gear could challenge that condition for example.

2.8m wont let another car in though will it

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next