Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:21 pm 
Tom Thumb wrote:
Of course I did.

I just think the Euro7 is like so much in this trade. Designed to provide just about enough. You can't sit in the back and say that it has been designed with Passenger comfort in mind can you?

There is no way the vehicle is robust enough in its construction to do 250K miles without falling to bits, squeaking and rattling like an old tin can.

Tom,

how can you tell on a 5 minute inspection?

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:34 pm 
Because this one had done 97K and creaked and groaned like Jack Duckworth.

The door was buggered, the foam in the seats was thin and uncomfortable.

Front the back seat you have to shuffle almost on hands and knees to get to the door handle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:42 pm 
Problem that both Euro7's and LTI's have is that they can only be used for one purpose.

So when a sensible operator buys new, runs for 5 years and then decides to pass it on on he only has one market, the cheapskate taxi operator, running on minimum expenditure.

If you buy a new saloon and run it for 5 years it then disappears out of the trade to a 'private cheapskate'.

Due to the number of cheapskates around in our trade the old banger will always be on a rank somewhere.

If we had similar rules to the USA for their 'stretch's' then we could send them all to the scrap heap (or Sri Lanka) after 5 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:43 pm 
Tom Thumb wrote:
Because this one had done 97K and creaked and groaned like Jack Duckworth.

The door was buggered, the foam in the seats was thin and uncomfortable.

Front the back seat you have to shuffle almost on hands and knees to get to the door handle.

I have to admit after all I have heard and read, My pocket wouldnt let me but one I am completely put off, but surely there is one alternative thats ok?

what would the trade use if LTI moved to china tomorow? there must be some ok?
Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:06 pm 
Tom Thumb wrote:
Problem that both Euro7's and LTI's have is that they can only be used for one purpose.

So when a sensible operator buys new, runs for 5 years and then decides to pass it on on he only has one market, the cheapskate taxi operator, running on minimum expenditure.

If you buy a new saloon and run it for 5 years it then disappears out of the trade to a 'private cheapskate'.

Due to the number of cheapskates around in our trade the old banger will always be on a rank somewhere.

If we had similar rules to the USA for their 'stretch's' then we could send them all to the scrap heap (or Sri Lanka) after 5 years.

I can see what you mean, the basic design of a taxi has never changed inside 3 beanie seats and a back seat, whealchar restraints just bunged in as an after thought, my biggest critisism, nothing learned.

so the whole of the uk is working on londons pack em in, and take em round the corner kwick as yer can. ged em out start again.

its all we can think of its allas bin like that.

but they do get through the test so nothing changes.
radical rethink needed.

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:10 am 

i keep hearing stories about when the e7 gets london ok,but as far as i know this van is not available as an auto model,and 75% of london cabbies have an auto only driving license,some one hasent done their home work,or please correct me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:17 am 

Then they will buy the new Jubillee Merc, one supposes. Or maybe the VW? Both of those are available with auto boxes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:35 am 
They don't do them in Automatics, We've got a driver who has a injury to his left leg and can only drive an automatic, when we asked Jubilee and Cab Direct they wanted extra money and couldn't give a delivery date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:35 pm 

I think we can only gather from the above posts, that most of the WAV builders trying to get into London are pretty thick.

If they don't know that most of the lads in London only drive automatics, then you have to wonder why they bother.

But why on earth haven't they got autos?

Please tell me it is 2004, isn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:10 pm 

123 Taxis wrote:
They don't do them in Automatics, We've got a driver who has a injury to his left leg and can only drive an automatic, when we asked Jubilee and Cab Direct they wanted extra money and couldn't give a delivery date.

Both the Merc and the VW are available as automatics. Of course they cost more. Autos always do. Its around another £1,000 on the price, same as the TX2.

You want a delivery date from Jubillee? Now you really ARE pie in the sky. If you do ever get a delivery date from em, please let Wharfie and me know. I was trying since May last year, and eventually gave up and bought a pig in a poke from Cab King. Now we just buy them from our local dealer and convert it ourselves. Its easier, cheaper, and quicker, and, a hell of a lot more predictable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:44 pm 
When we had a test drive in the Mercedes Vito we asked the salesman how long are the delivery times? He scratched his head and said ermmm I don't know to be honest with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:53 pm 

123 Taxis wrote:
When we had a test drive in the Mercedes Vito we asked the salesman how long are the delivery times? He scratched his head and said ermmm I don't know to be honest with you.

What a un-professional approach? :( :( :(

I think the poster that hoped Skoda would build a WAV, had the right idea.

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:25 am 
Alex wrote:
123 Taxis wrote:

What a un-professional approach? :( :( :(

I think the poster that hoped Skoda would build a WAV, had the right idea.

Alex

yeh gauranree plenty of rest, whilst waiting for the gearbox done.

Post subject: E7 (Expert)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:01 pm 

I drive a PH version of the E7 its called an Expert (or Eurobus) and let me tell you this thing is the bees knees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:33 pm 

I spoke to a lad today who drives a Fiat WAV conversion.

It's done about 125,000 miles, and he is as happy as Larry with it.

No main problems, very economical etc etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next