Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:58 pm 

Hello.

I am about to purchase a Wav vehicle and am torn on what model would best suit my needs?
I am not convinced Citroen, Renault or Peugeot are the best choice for a private hire business. VW's are expensive!!! Can one and or everyone recommend a good all purpose WAV that can seat 5 and has been a good workhorse for them?

Secondly, I am looking at apps to price my journey and to keep a log of my mileage and earnings, once again can anyone recommend one that suits all?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:36 pm 

Hardwork wrote:
Hello.

I am about to purchase a Wav vehicle and am torn on what model would best suit my needs?
I am not convinced Citroen, Renault or Peugeot are the best choice for a private hire business. VW's are expensive!!! Can one and or everyone recommend a good all purpose WAV that can seat 5 and has been a good workhorse for them?

Secondly, I am looking at apps to price my journey and to keep a log of my mileage and earnings, once again can anyone recommend one that suits all?

You get what you pay for. Buy cheap you'll get problems.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:02 am 

Nidge2 wrote:
Hardwork wrote:
Hello.

You get what you pay for. Buy cheap you'll get problems.

i concur :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:40 pm 

Look at a Mercedes vito WAV In my opinion one of the best Ive done 250k+ miles in mine without any major costs Down time during My ownership 1,1/2 hours due to starter Motor remember its not only the vehicle cost its the through life costs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:28 pm 

I thought of the Vito and am considering buying one because it would increase the seating capacity and fexability and more importantly my earning potential. I think I will look at the running cost of the Vito. Cheers...

I am looking at Datamaster as a control system although the initial purchase price is high it does have a lot of good feedback, can anyone suggest any other databases that would suit and are user friendly that may be cheaper.

Please Remember I am only just getting this idea off of the drawing board and any advice that could help make this a reality and avoid all the pitfalls of making novice mistakes would be appreciated?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:04 pm 

You confuse me when you say that DataMaster is expensive, it's probably the cheapest feature rich dispatch system out there. How many vehicles are in your system?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:23 pm 

Hardwork wrote:
I thought of the Vito and am considering buying one because it would increase the seating capacity and fexability and more importantly my earning potential. I think I will look at the running cost of the Vito. Cheers...

I am looking at Datamaster as a control system although the initial purchase price is high it does have a lot of good feedback, can anyone suggest any other databases that would suit and are user friendly that may be cheaper.

Please Remember I am only just getting this idea off of the drawing board and any advice that could help make this a reality and avoid all the pitfalls of making novice mistakes would be appreciated?

Datamaster is a booking and dispatch system and is very good at doing that job. However if you are a one man band then you will find any system "expensive". Why would you need such a system if you are a one man band because you cant be in the office checking on the bookings and dispatch whilst out driving.
In your original post you wanted something to calculate your fares. Well I still use google maps to get the distance and at it's simplest you just multiply that by your cost per mile. As for your mileage, your car will have a trip mileometer that can do that and just write down your jobs and the fare on a piece of paper.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:51 am 

just use Vodafone red, you get a mobile number with a free virtual landline one,, you can get this on sim only for around £25 a month, then take all calls in the cab like I do, for all fares outside your area, have set fares

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:58 am 

grandad wrote:
Hardwork wrote:

Datamaster is a booking and dispatch system and is very good at doing that job. However if you are a one man band then you will find any system "expensive". Why would you need such a system if you are a one man band because you cant be in the office checking on the bookings and dispatch whilst out driving.
In your original post you wanted something to calculate your fares. Well I still use google maps to get the distance and at it's simplest you just multiply that by your cost per mile. As for your mileage, your car will have a trip mileometer that can do that and just write down your jobs and the fare on a piece of paper.
I use this site to work out fares its pretty accurate and Free https://yourtaximeter.com/