Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hybrid cars
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:05 pm 

Hi, moving away from settle cars as tbh they are all [edited by admin]! Anyway I've decided to go for a hybrid car as they are much more efficient and reliable, I don't need a big boot as I barely do any airport runs. Would preferably get something a bit smaller. Would anybody have any advise/objections to a Toyota auris or a Lexus CT200h? Both seem reliable and cheap enough to buy, thanks (ps I don't want a Prius)

Post subject: Re: Hybrid cars
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:32 pm 

hang fire a year...im sure 100% leccy cars will come about

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:10 am 

I did think about that but i spend 550 a month on fuel my mondeo (36mpg). A hybrid gets roughly 70 so I'd save about £3500 on fuel plus 52x100 worth of settle, car would pay for itself easily. Plus I'm sick of settle cars, nothing but problems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:37 am 

Nayp92 wrote:
I did think about that but i spend 550 a month on fuel my mondeo (36mpg). A hybrid gets roughly 70 so I'd save about £3500 on fuel plus 52x100 worth of settle, car would pay for itself easily. Plus I'm sick of settle cars, nothing but problems

Modern diesels will do between 60-70 mpg now. You will struggle to beat that even with an Auris Hybrid. I know you don't want a Prius but we bought a brand new 2016 model and we get an average of 72 mpg from it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:06 pm 

Cheers for the reply, modern diesels are good but for reliability id presume hybrids are much better ? Could be wrong

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:23 pm 

Nayp92 wrote:
Cheers for the reply, modern diesels are good but for reliability id presume hybrids are much better ? Could be wrong

I'd say you are wrong, take Grandads advice he's running them so is in the know. There's 1.5 and 1.4 diesels coming out that are as fast as 2litre and do and awesome MPG.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:59 pm 

Nayp92 wrote:
A hybrid gets roughly 70 so I'd save about £3500 on fuel plus 52x100 worth of settle, car would pay for itself easily. Plus I'm sick of settle cars, nothing but problems
My Auris hybrid does between 56-62mpg, in a built up area mainly flat ground. If you live in an area with lots of hills the mpg will be less, if you do lots of motorway driving the mpg drops to 55mpg on a motorway at 70mph. Been told that if you're prepared to do 60mph or less than it goes up to as much as 70mpg. Hybrids are best 'round town' on roads between 30-40mph limits, the biggest fuel saving is when stopped at lights or sat waiting for passengers because the engine is'nt running.

Compared to my old TDCi Mondeo i've halved my fuel cost.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:10 pm 

Nayp92 wrote:
There's less to go wrong on a hybrid, no alternator, clutch, flywheel, starter motor, timing belts. Maintenance is basically an oil change every 10k miles. You can't 'thrash' the engine ie do 50 in 1st.

The expensive bits are designed for the life of the car and hardly ever go wrong (Toyotas are very reliable), and if they do fail the cost is comparable to stuff you regularly have to change on a diesel Mondeo.
Main battery £800,
Inverter £600,
Traction motor £1000.

If you had the car for 10 years you'd be unlikely to have to replace any of the above, even if you did how does that compare to changing a clutch/flywheel every 70k for £600 ?

I've had my Auris for nearly 2 years and other than servicing, bulbs, wipers, brake pads and tyres it's not needed anything else - but I suppose it's still relatively new so shouldnt need anything major anyway, ask me again in 5 years and I'll know if they're still reliable !

Don't forget there's a 5 year 100k warranty on Toyotas as well 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:52 pm 

I have the greenest Mondeo diesel engine they make, i.e. no car tax.

Around the town I get about 50 mpg, on a run about 70 mpg.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:31 pm 

Cheers for the advice lads it's appreciated. How do you find the comfort in an auris ? They're nice cars but been advised its not as spacious and limited personal space for you and passengers. I'm definitely leaning towards an Toyota auris they sound the best for the job. Don't do much motorway or airport jobs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:19 am 

sasha wrote:
My Auris hybrid does between 56-62mpg, in a built up area mainly flat ground. If you live in an area with lots of hills the mpg will be less, if you do lots of motorway driving the mpg drops to 55mpg on a motorway at 70mph. Been told that if you're prepared to do 60mph or less than it goes up to as much as 70mpg. Hybrids are best 'round town' on roads between 30-40mph limits, the biggest fuel saving is when stopped at lights or sat waiting for passengers because the engine is'nt running.
Compared to my old TDCi Mondeo i've halved my fuel cost.

grandad wrote:
Modern diesels will do between 60-70 mpg now. You will struggle to beat that even with an Auris Hybrid. I know you don't want a Prius but we bought a brand new 2016 model and we get an average of 72 mpg from it.

it all depends... as they said hybrids are best in town where and when you do up to 30 mph after that you burn a petrol. i'm a night driver and have heavy foot so 30 is something i barely see on my clock and area is a bit hilly. about modern diesels, i've 1,6 ehdi with semi auto and with my foot it gives me 40 - 42 mpg on average ( ~55 - 60 on motorway) so no cream then but in my case hybrid is useless, full electric -yes! but no wonga and no infrastructure for it so far. my personal opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:17 am 

:---) :---)
Sussex wrote:
I have the greenest Mondeo diesel engine they make, i.e. no car tax.

Around the town I get about 50 mpg, on a run about 70 mpg.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:08 pm 

o-marek wrote:
as they said hybrids are best in town where and when you do up to 30 mph after that you burn a petrol.
Wrong. The Auris hybrid will do up to 42mph on electric and keep going till the battery runs low, about 1/2 mile if it's fully charged (if you press the button to force it into battery then it will go up to 20mph and then turn battery mode off). The Prius hybrid has an even higher speed on battery before the engine kicks in.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:14 pm 

Nayp92 wrote:
How do you find the comfort in an auris ? They're nice cars but been advised its not as spacious and limited personal space for you and passengers.
I find it more comfortable than the Mondeo I had, few aches for the first few days as you find the best seat position but I suppose youd get that moving from any other car to a different one.

Plenty of space in the front, more than a mondeo. Rear legroom could be better, but even though it looks a little tight no passengers have ever complained or struggled.

Go and have a test drive (think you can borrow one from a dealer for the day/weekend) and try for yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:26 pm 

sasha wrote:
Nayp92 wrote:
How do you find the comfort in an auris ? They're nice cars but been advised its not as spacious and limited personal space for you and passengers.
I find it more comfortable than the Mondeo I had, few aches for the first few days as you find the best seat position but I suppose youd get that moving from any other car to a different one.

Plenty of space in the front, more than a mondeo. Rear legroom could be better, but even though it looks a little tight no passengers have ever complained or struggled.

Go and have a test drive (think you can borrow one from a dealer for the day/weekend) and try for yourself.

Rear passengers will be in the aircraft crash position