Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:17 am 

Wake up to the news that the government is going to ban the sales of all petrol and diesel vehicles by 2040.

The question is does anyone have any idea of electric vehicle suitable for a private hire vehicle?

Have been looking at the Nissan Leaf that the range is only 70 - 100 miles per charge with a replacement battery at £4,000.

The Tesla is looking good with a 250 miles range but still not released and looking expensive when they come out!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:56 am 

Firstly, you wont need to worry about it. You will be retired and possibly dead by 2040. Secondly, as pointed out this morning, all new cars will be electric long before 2040. It is estimated that this will be between 2025 and 2030.
The Tesla model 3 is now being delivered in the states and it should be available here sometime next year at around £30,000. This will probably be the first affordable electric car with a decent range.
They already have electric busses but I can see a problem with delivery lorries.
I don't think now is a good time to invest in a filling station.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:11 am 

grandad wrote:
Firstly, you wont need to worry about it. You will be retired and possibly dead by 2040. Secondly, as pointed out this morning, all new cars will be electric long before 2040. It is estimated that this will be between 2025 and 2030.
The Tesla model 3 is now being delivered in the states and it should be available here sometime next year at around £30,000. This will probably be the first affordable electric car with a decent range.
They already have electric busses but I can see a problem with delivery lorries.

The lowest emission HGV's are diesels running/converted to CNG, costs a lot but CNG is only 20p/ltr

The loonies will want "the railways" to take freight now

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:41 pm 

grandad wrote:

And the increase of in supply to meet this massive surge in demand for electricity is all going to come from where to be use on cars most people cannot afford and even if they could are not up to the task in hand due to restricted range and lack of super fast charging points..

Dream On Grandad..dream on.

This guff will face a public revolt the likes of which your or I have never seen before, it'll be kicked into the long grass until at least 2070 when only through a lack of affordable oil will it take root or until another option is found.

We have no appetite for it yet and few of us believe that 40,000 Dirty diesel deaths a year figure that is based on guesswork and statistcal jiggery pokery and not on proven facts.

I'd rather risk my Childrens health on Petro Chemicals than on assured future Starvation through Britain becoming uncompetitive on the world stage as it bankrupts itself attempting to pay many
£trillions for all this nonsense...can you imagine the impossible debt we would pass on and lumber the next 5 future generations with..poor devils.

All in the name of an unproven problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:48 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
grandad wrote:

And this massive surge in for electricity is all going to come from where to be use on cars most people cannot afford and even if the could are not up to the task in hand due to restricted range and lack of super fast charging points..

Dream On Grandad..dream on.

This guff will face a public revolt the likes of which your or I have never seen before, it'll be kicked into the long grass until at least 2070 when only through a lack of affordable oil will it take root or until another option is found.

We have no appetite for it yet and few of us velieve that 40,000 Dirty diesel deaths a year figure that is based on guesswork and statistcal jiggery pokery and not on proven facts.

I'd rather risk my Childrens health on Petro Chemicals than on assured future Starvation through Britain becoming uncompetitive on the world stage as it bankrupts itself attempting to pay many
£trillions for all this nonsense...can you imagine the impossible debt we would pass on and lumber the next 5 future generations with..poor devils.

All in the name of an unproven problem.

We in the Hackney Carriage Industry are controlled by the Town and Police Clauses Act of 1847,this is the future of this trade as we will all be reverting to horse drawn carriages,all this money spent on so called modernising the laws could prove to be a total waste if these people with peas for a brain are allowed to get their way.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:03 pm 

grandad wrote:
Firstly, you wont need to worry about it. You will be retired and possibly dead by 2040.

Have you considered becoming a Samaritans help line receptionist?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:53 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
grandad wrote:
Firstly, you wont need to worry about it. You will be retired and possibly dead by 2040.

Aye, I can hear it now,

Grandad: "Hello, the Sam N harry tans here, before you jump tell me why"

Victim: "err but I wasn't going to jump, i just wanted cheering up"...

Grandad: "ahh Ok, but we don't do cheer here these days, my more pragmatic advice is that you Jump ASAP, your obviously a Sad Sac without any long term prospects or hope so you'd be as well to jump"....

Victim: "but I'm not sure I can do it, I'm scared!..."

Grandad:.."Grow a pair and jump man, your going to die sooner or later in any case so you may as well give me the rest of the night off by jumping now"

Victim: "ok, I'm on the Edge now"...

Grandad: "great, your sure going to make an impression on those below, well at least in the concrete"....

Victim: yeah, Cheers for that advice, Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...thud"

Grandad:...I was just kidding ya..you still there, hello, helloooooooooooooo, helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:00 pm 

wrexhamdriver wrote:
The question is does anyone have any idea of electric vehicle suitable for a private hire vehicle?

Have been looking at the Nissan Leaf that the range is only 70 - 100 miles per charge with a replacement battery at £4,000.

The Tesla is looking good with a 250 miles range but still not released and looking expensive when they come out!

We are talking 23 years time.

How big were phone batteries 23 years ago?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:03 pm 

I've said that over the next 10-20 years the majority of cars will be electric, although that would be through choice - not forced upon us.
Hopefully during that time technology will improve ranges and charging times which is the biggest problem at the moment.

Cost wise the higher price of an EV is offset by the fuel saving, my hybrid cost £4k more than an equivalent diesel Mondeo two years ago, but during that time I've saved over £4k on fuel so from now on mine is working out cheaper than the Mondeo. My worry is that without petrol/diesel tax revenue from cars the government will seek to recoup the missing tax from EV vehicles instead, so wiping out any cost saving.

My biggest concern is for the motor related industry as a whole, EVs are more reliable so no need for as many servicing garages, no need for petrol stations, parts supply companies. There's tens of thousands employed making engines, oil filters, exhausts etc. A gradual voluntary move towards electric would see these companies scale back and eventually close by supply and demand, this sudden forced move means no more investment and growth and we'll see a lot closing overnight.

What about motor racing and 'supercars' ? I dream of owning a 500hp Ferrari, will an electric version be as fast, powerful or exciting as a petrol one. What about the glorious roar from an Aston Martins V12 exhaust ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:52 pm 

sasha wrote:
I've said that over the next 10-20 years the majority of cars will be electric, although that would be through choice - not forced upon us.
Hopefully during that time technology will improve ranges and charging times which is the biggest problem at the moment.

Cost wise the higher price of an EV is offset by the fuel saving, my hybrid cost £4k more than an equivalent diesel Mondeo two years ago, but during that time I've saved over £4k on fuel so from now on mine is working out cheaper than the Mondeo. My worry is that without petrol/diesel tax revenue from cars the government will seek to recoup the missing tax from EV vehicles instead, so wiping out any cost saving.

My biggest concern is for the motor related industry as a whole, EVs are more reliable so no need for as many servicing garages, no need for petrol stations, parts supply companies. There's tens of thousands employed making engines, oil filters, exhausts etc. A gradual voluntary move towards electric would see these companies scale back and eventually close by supply and demand, this sudden forced move means no more investment and growth and we'll see a lot closing overnight.

What about motor racing and 'supercars' ? I dream of owning a 500hp Ferrari, will an electric version be as fast, powerful or exciting as a petrol one. What about the glorious roar from an Aston Martins V12 exhaust ?

They'll be Built by machines, but unless we employ Humans in similar numbers as today there will be no need for cars as there will be no earners earning enough to by such vehicles, we Humans will end up surplus to the requirements of vastly more intellectually advanced AI (Artificial Intelligence) robots and they will simply wipe us off the face of the planet to allow themselves to replicate at an even faster pace.

Be afraid, be very afraid..our time on earth is almost up and the sad thing is that we are giving it a helping hand along the way.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:02 pm 

I would love one of the electric cabs.nobody seems to be mentioning where the nuclear waste is going to go.nuclear is acceptable all of a sudden?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:05 pm 

rayggb wrote:
I would love one of the electric cabs.nobody seems to be mentioning where the nuclear waste is going to go.nuclear is acceptable all of a sudden?

We'll can give all the Waste to North Korea...they'll take it for nowt as it goes down a Bomb across there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:12 am 

bloodnock wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
grandad wrote:

Aye, I can hear it now,

Grandad: "Hello, the Sam N harry tans here, before you jump tell me why"

Victim: "err but I wasn't going to jump, i just wanted cheering up"...

Grandad: "ahh Ok, but we don't do cheer here these days, my more pragmatic advice is that you Jump ASAP, your obviously a Sad Sac without any long term prospects or hope so you'd be as well to jump"....

Victim: "but I'm not sure I can do it, I'm scared!..."

Grandad:.."Grow a pair and jump man, your going to die sooner or later in any case so you may as well give me the rest of the night off by jumping now"

Victim: "ok, I'm on the Edge now"...

Grandad: "great, your sure going to make an impression on those below, well at least in the concrete"....

Victim: yeah, Cheers for that advice, Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...thud"

Grandad:...I was just kidding ya..you still there, hello, helloooooooooooooo, helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Not quite how I would handle it but you are on the right lines.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:06 pm 

wrexhamdriver wrote:
Wake up to the news that the government is going to ban the sales of all petrol and diesel vehicles by 2040.

This is like man landing on the moon, it's not going to happen.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:02 pm 

rayggb wrote:
All of the nuclear waste ever produced from power stations can fit into one olympic sized swimming pool !

The majority of waste we hear about having to be encased in concrete and buried inside mountains or underground is things like old syringes and surgical gloves which have been sterilised by gamma rays.