Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: buying out of london
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:47 pm 

greetings fellow cabbies.
this is my first time posting a question so apolagies if i dont follow the correct protocol!!!

ive been renting for nearly 6 months now and am debating buying a cab,i never intended to buy a new cab what with the current opinion of the tx2.
does anyone know if there are any problems with buying a second hand cab from say birmingham,liverpool,edinborough etc... and getting it plated for use in london??? thanks in advance for any replies

chrissy the butta boy

Post subject: Re: buying out of london
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:17 pm 

chris dolan wrote:
does anyone know if there are any problems with buying a second hand cab from say birmingham,liverpool,edinborough etc... and getting it plated for use in london??? thanks in advance for any replies

I think this has been discussed on here before, but I can't remember the outcome. I think it was a no/don't know.

But Mr GBC might be able to assist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:35 pm 

I don't think we ever really got to the bottom of this - I think it was concluded that provincial taxis might be slightly different in spec in some way as compared to London, but precisely what that was I don't think we found out.

I suspect that the most straightforward way would be to contact the PCO.

Post subject: Re: buying out of london
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:22 pm 

chris dolan wrote:
greetings fellow cabbies.
this is my first time posting a question so apolagies if i dont follow the correct protocol!!!

ive been renting for nearly 6 months now and am debating buying a cab,i never intended to buy a new cab what with the current opinion of the tx2.

chrissy the butta boy

The PCO will not license any taxi which has been out of London and is not Euro 3 compliant.

So that leaves you with the huge choice of the TX2.

Most 'provincial' ones are manual, so you would have to resit the DSA Taxi test again.

Then you have to get your purchase through the PCO examination, if its never been a cab in London, it will not have been issued with a PCO 'blue note', I've never tried it, but i believe its not an easy thing to obtain on an older TX, but don't ask me why?

This could all change next year when this SKS outfit take over the examination and plating of Taxi's.

Speak to, in fact JOIN, and speak with John Thomas at the LTDA on 0207 286 1046.

There are several hundred ex-county TX's in London so its not impossible, however rumour has it Mann and Overton have around 250, '02' '52' and '03' registered ones for sale that they cannot shift, so you might end up with a bargain!

http://www.ltda.co.uk/taxi/issue_112/pg04.htm