Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: taking a risk
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:40 pm 

sasha wrote:
they'd only had them a few months from new before the update was applied so still covered by sales of goods and lemon laws

Is that the engines updated after the VW emissions scandal?

Reason I'm asking is that I thought the update was only applied a couple of years after they'd stopped selling them - wouldn't have thought they could have bought them new and had the update a *few months* later?

Anyway, I've got the 1.6 that was due the update, but after the reports of problems decided not to get it done.

In fact I'd decided not to get the update even before they'd finalised it, because I'd read people in the know anticipating possible problems, and it doesn't affect MoTs etc, and by the time I'm done with the car won't affect its resale value.

And even if I sold it today I think VW would still do the update for free if the customer requested it.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:39 pm 

StuartW wrote:
sasha wrote:
they'd only had them a few months from new before the update was applied so still covered by sales of goods and lemon laws

Yeah it was to do with that. All I know is they were brand new cars, needed an update and it broke them. Must have been bought just before the update was released.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:57 am 

sasha wrote:
StuartW wrote:
sasha wrote:

Yeah it was to do with that. All I know is they were brand new cars, needed an update and it broke them. Must have been bought just before the update was released.

According to Skoda's website the EA189 Service Action (ie the update after the emissions scandal) started in June 2016.

https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/ea189

As far as I'm aware the problem only affected Euro 5 diesels, and the last of those would have been shipped in 2014, so would have been a minimum of 1.5 years old, more probably two years old.

In fact if I hadn't looked up the dates I'd have guessed the cars would need to be a bit older than that even. I bought one of the last Euro 5 VWs in spring 2014, and it seemed like a good while before the emissions scandal broke, and seemed like an eternity until they eventually finalised the update. But I suppose if it was announced mid-2016 then I must have had the car for two and a bit years by then.

Of course, things that seem to drag on for ages at the time often seem to cover a lot shorter period when you look back on them a few years later :-s

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:02 am 

StuartW wrote:
sasha wrote:
StuartW wrote:
sasha wrote:

According to Skoda's website the EA189 Service Action (ie the update after the emissions scandal) started in June 2016.

https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/ea189

As far as I'm aware the problem only affected Euro 5 diesels, and the last of those would have been shipped in 2014, so would have been a minimum of 1.5 years old, more probably two years old.

In fact if I hadn't looked up the dates I'd have guessed the cars would need to be a bit older than that even. I bought one of the last Euro 5 VWs in spring 2014, and it seemed like a good while before the emissions scandal broke, and seemed like an eternity until they eventually finalised the update. But I suppose if it was announced mid-2016 then I must have had the car for two and a bit years by then.

Of course, things that seem to drag on for ages at the time often seem to cover a lot shorter period when you look back on them a few years later :-s

the Skoda engine update was optional, I have had 3 customers tell me that theyve had the emissions update done and in all three it fecked the car up and the cars all broke down at the roadside within weeks and with them all being treated differently by the Garage that done it.

I left mine as it was and (Touch Wood) its been running fine.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:15 pm 

StuartW wrote:

You're probably right. Both got a Rapide and an Octavia soon after the 15 plate came out. I thought the update was done quite recently but it must have been during 2016 or 2017, but it feels like it was only a few months ago (doesn't time fly !).
They were able to get refunds because the update rendered the vehicles unusable - and were still under warranty anyway but the dealer couldn't fix the problems.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:12 pm 

Its beyond me but after almost 10,000 miles since December i took her to Somerset

345 miles on 24ltrs full to full = 65 mpg on the round trip