Post subject: Hyundai i40 estate
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:02 pm 

roomy or not?

Post subject: Re: Hyundai i40 estate
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:00 pm 

no one run one?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:38 am 

Guy in St Andrews had two, so he obviously liked them, although seems to have disappeared, so not sure if he's left the trade or got a different motor.

They were estates in white, which I actually had shortlisted when I got my Passat. Thought it was an amazing looking car in white and estate form. Dash looked a bit too futuristic, though, which was one of the things that put me off, and one or two other quirky features. (Passat dash couldn't look any plainer :-| ).

Quite glad I didn't get it anyway, because with hindsight it would have stuck out like a sore backside. Which the Passat did/does to a degree, but not quite in the way a white i40 estate would have :-o

From what I could gather it was roomy enough, although maybe a bit snugger than the Passat.

In fact I wanted a Superb estate, mainly because I never liked the electric handbrake on my previous Passat.

But when I phoned the Taxi Centre, guy said he could get me a Passat with leather, sat-nav, bluetooth, climate, big alloys etc for £6k off list price, so I went for that, and the rest is history. (That was in 2014, so obviously sat-nav, bluetooth etc more of a luxury then than today.)

Not been a perfect car, but could be a lot worse, I suppose. Zero repairs under warranty, front pads lasted 72,000 miles, rear pads still original at 120,000, front tyres lasting 25,000, rears double that, 20,000 mile services, blah, blah.

Apart from routine servicing, didn't spend a penny on it until 100,000 but had a few few front suspension problems since, leaking water pump, wheel bearing, siezed front caliper etc :sad:

Pretty much a waste of money, though, because it's almost all nighttime rank work it does, so something more cheap and cheerful would probably have been adequate.

But I can keep it for another four years within the council's 10-year age rule, which is my current intention, assuming it doesn't become a money pit between now and then [-o<

By which time I'll be 60, which would be a good time to retire with that huge pension pot I've accumlated over the years :oops:

Which has nothing to do with your question, really, but I could see you wanted someone to say something. Anything :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:20 am 

StuartW wrote:
Guy in St Andrews had two, so he obviously liked them, although seems to have disappeared, so not sure if he's left the trade or got a different motor.

They were estates in white, which I actually had shortlisted when I got my Passat. Thought it was an amazing looking car in white and estate form. Dash looked a bit too futuristic, though, which was one of the things that put me off, and one or two other quirky features. (Passat dash couldn't look any plainer :-| ).

Quite glad I didn't get it anyway, because with hindsight it would have stuck out like a sore backside. Which the Passat did/does to a degree, but not quite in the way a white i40 estate would have :-o

From what I could gather it was roomy enough, although maybe a bit snugger than the Passat.

In fact I wanted a Superb estate, mainly because I never liked the electric handbrake on my previous Passat.

But when I phoned the Taxi Centre, guy said he could get me a Passat with leather, sat-nav, bluetooth, climate, big alloys etc for £6k off list price, so I went for that, and the rest is history. (That was in 2014, so obviously sat-nav, bluetooth etc more of a luxury then than today.)

Not been a perfect car, but could be a lot worse, I suppose. Zero repairs under warranty, front pads lasted 72,000 miles, rear pads still original at 120,000, front tyres lasting 25,000, rears double that, 20,000 mile services, blah, blah.

Apart from routine servicing, didn't spend a penny on it until 100,000 but had a few few front suspension problems since, leaking water pump, wheel bearing, siezed front caliper etc :sad:

Pretty much a waste of money, though, because it's almost all nighttime rank work it does, so something more cheap and cheerful would probably have been adequate.

But I can keep it for another four years within the council's 10-year age rule, which is my current intention, assuming it doesn't become a money pit between now and then [-o<

By which time I'll be 60, which would be a good time to retire with that huge pension pot I've accumlated over the years :oops:

Which has nothing to do with your question, really, but I could see you wanted someone to say something. Anything :shock:

Views always welcome

Oddly, Passats (used) are cheaper now than Superb's and Modeo's...

I bought a new Superb estate 1.6 (basic trim) on the 15 plate, got seduced by an Eclass in 2017, regretted that, bought a 2013 1.6 superb in dec 2018 at its 80k mileage, now on 110k.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:11 am 

wannabeeahack wrote:
I bought a new Superb estate 1.6 (basic trim) on the 15 plate, got seduced by an Eclass in 2017, regretted that, bought a 2013 1.6 superb in dec 2018 at its 80k mileage, now on 110k.

It's that 1.6 engine I've got as well. Wish I'd gone for the 2.0, which my last Passat had, and it had a lot more shove.

99% of the time the 1.6 is entirely adequate, and most of the time I'm barely touching the throttle, but, you know...

And then there was the emissions thing with that engine, but it also affected the 2.0, so would probably have affected whichever engine I'd got :oops:

I've nearly been seduced by Volvos and E-classes etc in the past, but probably a good idea I didn't, and the two Passats I've had have been flashy enough at the time.

Bought them both to try to get some executive-style work, but whenever I start getting into that kind of thing I just can't be bothered with the hassle and stress, so end up back to the hassle and stress of the ranks :roll:

But never been one to chop and change cars, in fact if I keep this one till the 10-year age limit, that'll just be
three cars over 26 years :shock:

But I'm quite low mileage - generally less than 30,000 per annum at most, and I've never had drivers, and try to go easy on the cars.

Not doing much more than 20,000 miles these days, but it's mostly late-night/shorter runs on T2, so the rate per mile is very high*, only problem is how long you have to wait for them at times (and because I'm an independent I don't have that extra mileage necessary just to pay the radio fee/franchise/settle, or whatever you want to call it.) And my needs are modest, so I'm not working round the clock

Best car for the job probably my first one - a bog standard petrol 95 Mondeo, which was three years old and had done about 35,000 miles when I bought it. Took it up to around 233,000 miles, with original engine, clutch and gearbox untouched :-o

Not that it was mega-reliable otherwise (front wishbone bushes in particular I recall were a nightmare), but never spent more than £100 on a single item =D>

Pretty easy to change sparkplugs and filters myself (and I'm no mechanic, and my toolbox was something like four screwdrivers, an adustable spanner and adjustable wrench :oops: ), plus the odd oil change (although could get them done for £7.95 (I think it was) at a local fast fit depot - that was about the year 2000. As anyone knows, if you don't have proper tools and facilities even a basic oil change can end up like the Exxon Valdez, as I used to say to people back then :-s ).

So Mondeo was cheap to buy, cheap to maintain.

*Bog standard T2 run here is a one-mile student run which clocks at £5.50. So very good rate for the loaded mile, obviously. Then again, almost zero chance of a run back (because it's normally to student halls you do get the odd person getting in when you drop. In fact could have had hundreds over the years, but they're often just waiting for a taxi to pick them up, and of course I'm scrupulously honest about that kind of thing O:) )

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:07 pm 

I have the Superb 2.0 lt 4x4 estate, so much leg room and boot space you could get agoraphobia in it. Touch wood but it's been the best vehicle ive ever ran as a PH and I reckon I'll keep it for another 3 years as a PH then run it as my own car after that.

Oh...and I refuse to have the emission fix done as ive heard some horror stories by those who did.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:27 pm 

Quote:
And my needs are modest, so I'm not working round the clock

Did you need to add the 'round the clock' bit at the end? 8-[

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:33 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
I have the Superb 2.0 lt 4x4 estate, so much leg room and boot space you could get agoraphobia in it. Touch wood but it's been the best vehicle ive ever ran as a PH and I reckon I'll keep it for another 3 years as a PH then run it as my own car after that.

Oh...and I refuse to have the emission fix done as ive heard some horror stories by those who did.

Bought a new 2015 just before the scandal hit, upgraded to an E250 merc (big mistake) downgraded to a 2013 "fixed" 1.6 greenline, car does 60mpg

done 30k in it in 18 months

will stick with VAG, prefer Skoda, looking at Octavia next (ive lost weight)

as for big/size, my lad sat in the rear and said "speak up dad, im in next fecking postcode to you"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:17 am 

bloodnock wrote:

Yes, I refused mine for the same reason, in fact I was reading online *before* the modification recall that it could potentially cause problems, so I signed a disclaimer when in for a service saying I didn't want it done. But VW's main office kept sending me recall letters about it, so that's one reason I stopped going to VW for servicing and repairs - I suspected they'd end up doing it anyway. Have certainly read some comments online to that effect - indeed a quick Google found this Guardian article, which says:

The Guardian wrote:
Some dealers have even been automatically doing the work on any car brought in to be serviced – sometimes against the owner’s explicit instructions. “I am concerned at the long-term impact this will have. If the car is regenerating every day, what will this do to the lifespan of the EGR [exhaust gas recirculation] valve and the rest of the exhaust system, which cost thousands to fix if they go wrong?” Harrison says. “I am in the process of fighting with the dealership that completed the modification to get it to accept that there is a fault with the car – but all I’m getting is denials. We have a Skoda that is also affected by the recall. At the moment I won’t be taking it anywhere near the dealer when the recall letter arrives,” he says.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... ndriveable

Of course, tons of stuff online about problems caused by the recall, but VW claims it's a tiny number of cars that have been affected. With 1.2 million cars affected by the scandal in the UK alone, I suppose that even if only a tiny proportion affected, it's still potentially quite a lot of people.

And I suspect some of the problems are just coincidental, and due to other issues, and actually nothing to do with the recall. For example, the diesel particulate filter and the associated regeneration process is often mentioned, and I found this in an Autocar article:

Autocar wrote:
He said: “Since the fix, the engine needs to regenerate so much more — on average, once every two weeks — which means that fuel efficiency has also been affected.”

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indu ... diesel-fix

But mine does that once a week or so anyway (at least), and I'm not particularly high mileage, and I think this active regeneration (when extra fuel is injected for ten minutes or so to raise the temperature and burn off the soot) normally takes place every couple of hundred miles, depending on driving style etc*.

So because it wasn't going to affect MoTs or whatever, I decided not to have it done. Therefore no obvious downside for me just leaving it as it was, but potential problems if getting the 'fix' done.

I still think the whole thing was overblown, though, and everyone knew that figures like fuel consumption and emissions were manipulated, so I always took them with a pinch of salt anyway. So there seemed to be a large dollop of politics involved in it all (for example, I think it all kicked off in America, where it's been claimed it was all about protecting the domestic car market from German imports).

But for those reasons it wouldn't put me off buying another VAG car.

*Of course, it's often not easy to know when a (active) regeneration is taking place, but don't get me started on the whole DPF thing and the regeneration stuff. In fact I suspect some drivers are *never* aware of an active regeneration, because it's not always obvious, and some drivers won't know the telltale signs.