Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:06 pm
Posts: 22824
Location: A City near Birmingham
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54981425

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:27 pm
Posts: 18674
What do you see as the problem?
I expect that before 2030 there will be an induction charging system installed under roads so that vehicles are being continuously charged to get over the range problem.
The downside of this could be that criminals may target the induction charging cables as scrap metal.

_________________
Grandad,
old fart with no heart


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:47 pm
Posts: 15397
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
After accruing massive debt from the Pangolin flu pandemic do you seriously think there is any chance of that.

By 2030 I expect the car Industry will have persuaded the government that Hydrogen fuel cells are the way to go once we have all bought Hybrids and we will all be being urged to ditch electric in favour of fuel cells! SO that the Gerries and the Frogs can import loads of cars which they have perfected but our industry can't supply thus killing off the last remnants of our car industry

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:45 am
Posts: 9947
Location: Maldon, Essex.
Whatever happened to that guy who invented a battery in his shed that could do 900 miles on one charge? I was the same size as a normal car battery. He was going to re-invent the Austin brand, he had backers in the UK, he seems to have gone quiet.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm
Posts: 47483
Location: 1066 Country
Nidge2 wrote:
Whatever happened to that guy who invented a battery in his shed that could do 900 miles on one charge? I was the same size as a normal car battery. He was going to re-invent the Austin brand, he had backers in the UK, he seems to have gone quiet.

I suspect he is on a beach on his own island paid for by the big oil companies.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:36 pm
Posts: 1150
Whatever happened to Metrocab?? Last I heard they’d won the court case against LEVC and had £300m in investment from a Chinese firm (red sun or something like that) then there was another court case for bankruptcy,(I think it was the Fraser Nash side of things) never heard the outcome and never heard of them again


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:35 pm
Posts: 1842
Sussex wrote:
Nidge2 wrote:
Whatever happened to that guy who invented a battery in his shed that could do 900 miles on one charge? I was the same size as a normal car battery. He was going to re-invent the Austin brand, he had backers in the UK, he seems to have gone quiet.

I suspect he is on a beach on his own island paid for by the big oil companies.
I saw a science programme over ten years ago where a university was working on an ultrasonic device that could be fitted to hosepipes/taps/washing machines etc. and without the need for any cleaning products would remove dirt.
They demonstrated it on graffiti on a wall, oil on a driveway, soap scum in a bath, burnt on greasy pan, an oil and grease covered engine block and dirty hands in a sink and it removed all of it - just using plain water - and it came off easily as well, no scrubbing or high pressure - just a quick rinse.
They said it would remove the need for soaps, solvents, washing powder and just about all cleaning products. Of course all the big cleaning product companies would be out of business. That dissappeared never to be seen again, whats the betting one of the big cleaning product companys bought the patent ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:27 pm
Posts: 18674
sasha wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Nidge2 wrote:
Whatever happened to that guy who invented a battery in his shed that could do 900 miles on one charge? I was the same size as a normal car battery. He was going to re-invent the Austin brand, he had backers in the UK, he seems to have gone quiet.

I suspect he is on a beach on his own island paid for by the big oil companies.
I saw a science programme over ten years ago where a university was working on an ultrasonic device that could be fitted to hosepipes/taps/washing machines etc. and without the need for any cleaning products would remove dirt.
They demonstrated it on graffiti on a wall, oil on a driveway, soap scum in a bath, burnt on greasy pan, an oil and grease covered engine block and dirty hands in a sink and it removed all of it - just using plain water - and it came off easily as well, no scrubbing or high pressure - just a quick rinse.
They said it would remove the need for soaps, solvents, washing powder and just about all cleaning products. Of course all the big cleaning product companies would be out of business. That dissappeared never to be seen again, whats the betting one of the big cleaning product companys bought the patent ?

I used to work for an engineering company and the owner got fed up when he was on holiday in his touring caravan and he got a puncture. Caravans did not come with spare wheels back then so it was a bit of a problem. When he got back he set about sorting the problem and he came up with an adapter that could be used to fit any spare car wheel to any size caravan hub. He called it a wheelright. He advertised it in caravanning magazines and sold loads of them. After a few months a company approached him and wanted to make them in bulk and take on the marketing. My boss would get a royalties on everyone that was sold. They were talking telephone number figures. So he sold them the patent and got his contract. The design was stuck on the top shelf somewhere and not another one was made. The patent was bought by a company that make caravan wheels.

_________________
Grandad,
old fart with no heart


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:47 pm
Posts: 15397
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
sasha wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Nidge2 wrote:
Whatever happened to that guy who invented a battery in his shed that could do 900 miles on one charge? I was the same size as a normal car battery. He was going to re-invent the Austin brand, he had backers in the UK, he seems to have gone quiet.

I suspect he is on a beach on his own island paid for by the big oil companies.
I saw a science programme over ten years ago where a university was working on an ultrasonic device that could be fitted to hosepipes/taps/washing machines etc. and without the need for any cleaning products would remove dirt.
They demonstrated it on graffiti on a wall, oil on a driveway, soap scum in a bath, burnt on greasy pan, an oil and grease covered engine block and dirty hands in a sink and it removed all of it - just using plain water - and it came off easily as well, no scrubbing or high pressure - just a quick rinse.
They said it would remove the need for soaps, solvents, washing powder and just about all cleaning products. Of course all the big cleaning product companies would be out of business. That dissappeared never to be seen again, whats the betting one of the big cleaning product companys bought the patent ?



Basically it is a property of air bubbles in the water if I remember correctly with the downside being the cavitation effect of the bubbles

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:35 pm
Posts: 1842
edders23 wrote:
Basically it is a property of air bubbles in the water if I remember correctly with the downside being the cavitation effect of the bubbles
Not sure, unless really tiny bubbles. It was a bit like those ultrasonic jewellery cleaners you can get, basically it sent ultrasonic waves through any water source it was connected to - I was really, really waiting for it to come to market - the stuff it shifted that would take ages with a wire brush and solvent just rinsed off !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:35 pm
Posts: 1842
Think I might have found it https://www.southampton.ac.uk/engineeri ... tream.page

Showing it working removing lipstick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiHZxCi ... e=youtu.be

Not how I remember with a hosepipe washing graffiti off a wall but it was a University working on it, could be a different one.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group