Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:34 pm 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54981425

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:32 pm 

What do you see as the problem?
I expect that before 2030 there will be an induction charging system installed under roads so that vehicles are being continuously charged to get over the range problem.
The downside of this could be that criminals may target the induction charging cables as scrap metal.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:02 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
After accruing massive debt from the Pangolin flu pandemic do you seriously think there is any chance of that.

By 2030 I expect the car Industry will have persuaded the government that Hydrogen fuel cells are the way to go once we have all bought Hybrids and we will all be being urged to ditch electric in favour of fuel cells! SO that the Gerries and the Frogs can import loads of cars which they have perfected but our industry can't supply thus killing off the last remnants of our car industry

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:04 pm 

Whatever happened to that guy who invented a battery in his shed that could do 900 miles on one charge? I was the same size as a normal car battery. He was going to re-invent the Austin brand, he had backers in the UK, he seems to have gone quiet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:56 pm 

Nidge2 wrote:
Whatever happened to that guy who invented a battery in his shed that could do 900 miles on one charge? I was the same size as a normal car battery. He was going to re-invent the Austin brand, he had backers in the UK, he seems to have gone quiet.

I suspect he is on a beach on his own island paid for by the big oil companies.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:44 pm 

Whatever happened to Metrocab?? Last I heard they’d won the court case against LEVC and had £300m in investment from a Chinese firm (red sun or something like that) then there was another court case for bankruptcy,(I think it was the Fraser Nash side of things) never heard the outcome and never heard of them again

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:25 am 

Sussex wrote:
Nidge2 wrote:

I saw a science programme over ten years ago where a university was working on an ultrasonic device that could be fitted to hosepipes/taps/washing machines etc. and without the need for any cleaning products would remove dirt.
They demonstrated it on graffiti on a wall, oil on a driveway, soap scum in a bath, burnt on greasy pan, an oil and grease covered engine block and dirty hands in a sink and it removed all of it - just using plain water - and it came off easily as well, no scrubbing or high pressure - just a quick rinse.
They said it would remove the need for soaps, solvents, washing powder and just about all cleaning products. Of course all the big cleaning product companies would be out of business. That dissappeared never to be seen again, whats the betting one of the big cleaning product companys bought the patent ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:25 am 

sasha wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Nidge2 wrote:

I saw a science programme over ten years ago where a university was working on an ultrasonic device that could be fitted to hosepipes/taps/washing machines etc. and without the need for any cleaning products would remove dirt.
They demonstrated it on graffiti on a wall, oil on a driveway, soap scum in a bath, burnt on greasy pan, an oil and grease covered engine block and dirty hands in a sink and it removed all of it - just using plain water - and it came off easily as well, no scrubbing or high pressure - just a quick rinse.
They said it would remove the need for soaps, solvents, washing powder and just about all cleaning products. Of course all the big cleaning product companies would be out of business. That dissappeared never to be seen again, whats the betting one of the big cleaning product companys bought the patent ?

I used to work for an engineering company and the owner got fed up when he was on holiday in his touring caravan and he got a puncture. Caravans did not come with spare wheels back then so it was a bit of a problem. When he got back he set about sorting the problem and he came up with an adapter that could be used to fit any spare car wheel to any size caravan hub. He called it a wheelright. He advertised it in caravanning magazines and sold loads of them. After a few months a company approached him and wanted to make them in bulk and take on the marketing. My boss would get a royalties on everyone that was sold. They were talking telephone number figures. So he sold them the patent and got his contract. The design was stuck on the top shelf somewhere and not another one was made. The patent was bought by a company that make caravan wheels.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:29 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
sasha wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Nidge2 wrote:

Basically it is a property of air bubbles in the water if I remember correctly with the downside being the cavitation effect of the bubbles

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:03 am 

edders23 wrote:
Basically it is a property of air bubbles in the water if I remember correctly with the downside being the cavitation effect of the bubbles
Not sure, unless really tiny bubbles. It was a bit like those ultrasonic jewellery cleaners you can get, basically it sent ultrasonic waves through any water source it was connected to - I was really, really waiting for it to come to market - the stuff it shifted that would take ages with a wire brush and solvent just rinsed off !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:21 am 

Think I might have found it https://www.southampton.ac.uk/engineeri ... tream.page

Showing it working removing lipstick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiHZxCi ... e=youtu.be

Not how I remember with a hosepipe washing graffiti off a wall but it was a University working on it, could be a different one.