Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Automatics
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:19 pm 

Im considering resting my clutch foot and buying a VAG group DSG diesel, anyone say dont?

i dont do town work, only schools

Post subject: Re: Automatics
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:30 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
Im considering resting my clutch foot and buying a VAG group DSG diesel, anyone say dont?

I have the VW DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) Auto in my 2013 Skoda superb and I love its silky smooth changes, it's great in stop and go town traffic and changes well in rural driving, I'd thoroughly reccommend it....just make sure it has it's Fluid changed as per it's service proposal and it'll treat you well.....it selects a gear above and below the gear your in in readiness for a rise or fall in your engine speed so should always ensure the right choice of gear, it can be tricked over roads with humps where the wheels lift off slightly and the revs go up and then come straight down again but you get used to that wee trend.

No doubt someone will disagree but I honestly cant fault it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:37 pm 

I love an Automatic. For those who don’t...

Well, you’d better get used to them. Ain’t no gears on an electric car. It’s the future. :-o

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:28 pm 

My E250 was auto, first id had of the "new gen" autos (after my Vauxhall Carlton/Rover P5/Ford Corsair)

Ive test driven a Skoda DSG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:54 pm 

I doubt if the basic rules have changed much for decades.

Easier and more relaxing to drive, but thirstier, and more expensive to buy.

And long term reliability still likely to be a factor - if an automatic goes belly up (and more likely to go wrong than a manual gearbox) megabucks to put right.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:00 pm 

I think now that a new clutch also needs a new dual mass, the maintenance costs aren't a million miles apart.

Never personally owned an auto, but quite liked the ones that I've driven on a one off basis.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:52 pm 

Sussex wrote:
I think now that a new clutch also needs a new dual mass, the maintenance costs aren't a million miles apart.

Replaced them in my 2006 Passat at about 150,000, and car got to the age rule before twice round the clock.

But that was the early DMFs, and they're supposedly better now, so I'm hoping the clutch/DMF will be untouched on my 2014 Passat before it reaches the age rule, by which time I suspect it'll have done 180,000 or so.

Don't know if a DSG would last that long - I've read that 150,000 is quite good going, but I doubt if many are driven to mileages like that, so information probably not that reliable.

And while a DMF/clutch replacement will be into four figures, I'm guessing two or three times that for a replacement DSG.

Of course, I'm guessing that a bad driving style etc would knacker a standard clutch/DFM fairly quickly, but also guessing driving style is less relevant to how quickly a DSG goes belly up.

So quite a few factors to consider, and if I could turn the clock back I might have gone for a DSG, but would expect it to cost more in the long run if keeping it for mega mileages.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:53 pm 

Sussex wrote:

Pedantic point, perhaps, but back when the DMFs were more of an issue, it was the DMF rather than the clutch that would go wrong, so it was more a case of being a good idea to replace the clutch when the DMF went belly up.

But if the DMFs are more reliable now then it could be the other way round - the clutch wears out first, and it's a good idea to replace the DMF at the same time :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:26 pm 

Looking/asking the VW range diesels seem to have 20,000 mile engine oil changes and sealed for life wet DSG boxes..(petrol dsg used to be dry)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:02 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
am looking at a zafira 2.0 automatic people say once you've changed you don't regret it but need to think about it a bit more before buying the vehicle

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:03 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

I have the VW DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) Auto in my 2013 Skoda superb and I love its silky smooth changes, it's great in stop and go town traffic and changes well in rural driving, I'd thoroughly reccommend it....just make sure it has it's Fluid changed as per it's service proposal and it'll treat you well.....it selects a gear above and below the gear your in in readiness for a rise or fall in your engine speed so should always ensure the right choice of gear, it can be tricked over roads with humps where the wheels lift off slightly and the revs go up and then come straight down again but you get used to that wee trend.

No doubt someone will disagree but I honestly cant fault it.

Partial change of mind over VAG DSG boxes, mines has recently started making a rattle on idle when warmed up, turns out be the DMF flywheel, my garage has traced it back to a DMF on its way out but although they could fit it they dont have the software to reset the gearbox and clutches, it's now booked in at a Skoda main dealer to have it all done along with a Haldex oil change, ATF oil and filter change and a major service....Price quoted £3100 :sad: .....still, it's cheaper than replacing a perfectly good car a newer but unknown commodity.

I should never have tempted fate by crowing about good they are #-o

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:45 pm 

bloodnock wrote:

Partial change of mind over VAG DSG boxes, mines has recently started making a rattle on idle when warmed up, turns out be the DMF flywheel, my garage has traced it back to a DMF on its way out but although they could fit it they dont have the software to reset the gearbox and clutches, it's now booked in at a Skoda main dealer to have it all done along with a Haldex oil change, ATF oil and filter change and a major service....Price quoted £3100 :sad: .....still, it's cheaper than replacing a perfectly good car a newer but unknown commodity.

at what mileage, what age of car

6 o 7 speed?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:26 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
bloodnock wrote:

at what mileage, what age of car

6 o 7 speed?

6 speed at 109,000.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:48 pm 

ive read the later 7 speed DSG is far better, the old superb DSG diesels had a wet box, the petrols had dry boxes