Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Trade in
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:47 am 

Car still on all original parts (except the usual tyres, brake pads etc.) now seven years old. Sailed through its MOT again with not even an advisory, its never needed any work pre-mot either.
Had it done at a main dealer and whilst I was waiting had a look around the forecourt - saw an identical car but only four years old - £18,000, so I thought I'd ask for a valuation of mine.
Ex taxi, 190k on the clock - £12k cash, £15k trade in. That's only 6k less than I bought it new seven years ago !!

I'm tempted to trade it for the four year old (less than 30k miles and still under warranty !) plus the 3 grand, but I could get another brand new for £7k, trouble is there's a least a six month wait.
I know there's a shortage of new cars at the moment and used car prices have skyrocketed - but a taxi thats only lost £6k in 7 years - I used to scrap them for a couple of hundred at that age !! Nows the time to get something a little newer if you can do a trade in.
Auris hybrid BTW.

Post subject: Re: Trade in
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:23 pm 

£12k cash? :-o

Ooft.

When my old Passat got to the eight year age rule in 2014 sold it for £1,300 with around 175,000 on the clock.

My current Passat is the same age, but age rule is now ten years, so intend holding on to it. But due to lockdown etc, it's only done 141,000. So a lot lower mileage than your own, but wouldn't even expect to get half of what you've been offered in cash. Of course, no doubt yours attracts a premium because of its green credentials, but £12k cash, £15k trade in? :shock:

Sure the dealer hasn't made a mistake? Seriously couldn't imagine a main dealer swapping a high mileage ex-cab for same car three years younger, with 160,000 fewer miles on the clock, for just £3k... :-k

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:03 pm 

Mini Sussex recently gave his leased Dacia Duster back after 4 years. Really low mileage and owed £4,000 on it.

They paid the £4,000 off and gave him another £6,000 back. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:09 am 

StuartW wrote:
Sure the dealer hasn't made a mistake? Seriously couldn't imagine a main dealer swapping a high mileage ex-cab for same car three years younger, with 160,000 fewer miles on the clock, for just £3k... :-k
Other than the high mileage my cars mint, no dings or scratches, had seat covers and full rubber mats since new and any minor scuffs inside I've dealt with straight away (easy to keep a new car looking good if you deal with things quickly), full dealer servicing at the dealer who gave me the quote. If you were'nt told you wouldn't know it had been a cab, no holes or marks where meters etc. fitted.

I even questioned the quote - they said they're desperate for second hand cars especially hybrids as that's all they're selling now, and no-ones buying new due to price and availability. It was the price of the second hands that astonished me, 4yr old vehicles only a few grand below new price !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:22 pm 

68 plate Octavia 1.6 DSG 40,000 miles (FDSH)...................... with new engine (2 year warranty)

pm me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:07 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
68 plate Octavia 1.6 DSG 40,000 miles (FDSH)...................... with new engine (2 year warranty)

pm me

Cazoo.....................£14,000

bye bye Skip