Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Merc V-claas/Vito
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:51 pm 

Comments to date:

This CDi engine has too narrow a rev band. I am up and down the gearbox all the time when working around town. The thing is far too long-legged. Should have bought an Auto box. Now, too expensive to change it over. God knows how long my clutch will last, as I now tend to ride the thing. An irritating and very bad habit now formed, but I cant seem to stop it.

Drivers seat. Absolutely brilliant. The first car I have ever had where the seat gave such good back support and was so comfortable to sit in for long periods.

Steering. Again brilliant. I may be wrong but this new one seems to have a much better turning circle than older ones. Wonder how long the front tyres will last?

Brakes. I have ABS ABD EBS Traction control and all kinds of other letters which I dont understand but which apparently mean I have as good a system as Michael Schumacker. However, they dont seem to work. I get wheelspin off one wheel sometimes when I pull away heavily and the steering snatches like a bas**** when it does this. Perhaps I am too used to rear wheel drive. Also, I have not yet noticed the benefits of the so called "ultimate" in braking systems. Perhaps I am missing something.

Suspension. The whole ruddy issue bounces like hell on poor roads. There are no sudden shocks, but its a good job I dont suffer from sea-sickness.

Fuel economy 36 mpg so far average. Wow! I love this car!

Supplied stereo - crap. Binned it.

Doors. Rear doors often left on only first latch by punters, and do not open intuitively. Poor design for a Merc. Maybe they will wear in a bit later.

Heating/Air Con system. Difficult to strike a good balance between too hot and too cold. Certainly the air con is not as good as that fitted in our Fords, but it is acceptable.

Road noise is a bit on the high side. But I will try and sort this with some insulation and new interior upholstery. I presume the "van" origins are to blame for this.

The mirrors and such stuff are all electric, but, in use, folding mirrors (to get through gaps) would have made life easier.

Dashboard. The entire dash arrangement is crap for taxi use. There is simply no sufficient space for the PMR radio (it had to go beneath the drivers seat), no space for SatNav (again has to be hidden away) no space for a data module (just glue it somewhere) and other such stuff. The front passenger seat is not REALLY big enough for two people, and if you add a centre-console to house all your taxi stuff, then there is nowhere for the centre passenger to put their feet.

Finally, I just love overtaking Metrocabs and TXiis on the motorway! They are left for dead! Acceleration is blistering for the size of vehicle, and top speed is more than needed. Only problem here is that the vehicle overall, is more at home on a motorway than running around town.

I tend to compare driving everything against my all time favourite car which was an F12 Volvo Globetrotter. The Volvo still wins, but it only did 10 mpg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:23 pm 
The couple of lads that I know (in another area) have them, and they luv the comfort and the ecomomy as opposed to the TX2s.
Still a lot of money. So if you havent got the contracts or the drivers to run it. It might be worth looking elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:21 pm 
Yeah Pete. But the Merc is CHEAPER than a TXII.

It only gets more expensive if you are one of those complete nutters that likes to pamper his passengers with the height of luxury in the vain and completely pointless hope that they will one day appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:20 am 
Anonymous wrote:
Yeah Pete. But the Merc is CHEAPER than a TXII.

It only gets more expensive if you are one of those complete nutters that likes to pamper his passengers with the height of luxury in the vain and completely pointless hope that they will one day appreciate it.

Yes you will always feel a berk,
if you buy tx2 instead of a merc,
arnet you here in the hope to thrive?
so pick a car that is a nice drive.

you have a choice of a good shade,
and the car is so perfectly made,
if you ply London, then that is tough,
for there its tx2 preferably in buff.

the costs between them is so stark,
but with a merc you can make your mark
if you buy a tx2
then what the hell are you to do?

in the end its all about cash,
make your choice and have a bash,
if in the end you turn out a failure
park the car and go to Australia.

Paddington Bill
go here and there wherever you will, make sure you travel with Paddington Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:37 pm 

This is pure brilliance! I have LMFAO :lol: :lol: :lol: tonight on here.

Well done Paddington Bill !!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:57 pm 
i just hope his poetry lasts longer than your merc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:28 pm 

So do I Cgull. So do I. Paddington Bill's poetry is a treasure not to be lost.