Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:55 am 

Appeared while doing a longish hire to Rutherglen. Pretty sure it was doing the standard regen at the start of the job. Starts, stops and drives as normal - not in limp mode.

Tried an Italian tune-up on the M74/M8 on the way back but it was still there so quit the shift.

Anyone seen this before?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:11 pm 

Answer - failed active regen.

Flashing DPF light will not reset itself - LTI computer needed to cancel it. Steady DPF light will sometimes reset. Fix was a forced regen (LTI computer again) and oil+filter change, as unburned diesel can get into the oil system. £170 all in.

Somewhat annoying as there was no warning of a DPF problem developing. But the same thing has happened to at least two other Euro6 TX4s locally.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:10 pm 

Great that it’s sorted.

Also good that your issue, and solution, is now on the internet to pop up in the future for some other poor soul who needs help.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:18 am 

While it was driveable, the diesel-in-oil thing wasn't a gamble I fancied muchly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:22 pm 

Hi m8. Newbie here and 1st post. I have a 2017 Euro 6 and had the usual DPF light with doing all the short runs round the city. Usually it goes away eventually. I got the same flashing light as yourself a few months ago and the garage I use did a forced regeneration. Advised me to change the oil as I had put too much in and it was above the max on the dipstick. Regen cost me £40 up here in Edinburgh. I was due a service so I replaced the oil and made sure it was just below the maximum. I have just bought some JLM DPF cleaner which supposedly cleans your filter at low speeds. I'll see how that works over time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:00 am 

Thanks - I've read elsewhere that high oil level might also be due the DPF problem (diesel getting into the sump).

I'd been using premium diesel thinking it would prevent this kind of nonsense - it didn't. I've switched back to standard and might try the Wynns DPF cleaner.

Not overly impressed with this Euro6 TX4 - needed a new starter motor at 57k miles.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 pm 

I'd stick with the Euro 6 TX4. I've read horrendous stories of guys with Vitos being off the road for weeks under warranty with sticking doors, broken cables, stuck electric steps, nox sensors etc. EV's popping up sensor problems all the time. The TX is tried and tested with limited electronics to go wrong. Less is more as they say. This guy is worth a watch https://www.youtube.com/@mec-tec/search?query=Taxi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:08 am 

Yes, I'll stick with it for now - when it's driving well it's fine. And not many better options out there for now.

There's very few Euro6 TX4s in Glasgow, so many of the cab garages aren't comfortable working on them. I've struggled to find one willing to do the timing belt for example.

Mec-Tec's videos are pretty good - probably should do more myself.