Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:36 am 

Hi

I only use LTI parts due to the reasons i gave earlier in this post.

Using FORD parts will only give you the MK1 tensioner for the chain as FORD did not upgrade the timing chain tensioner (they denied all knowledge that there was a problem with the tensioner). The MK4 chain tensioner is a LTI upgrade part only.

If FORD upgraded the tensioner they would have to admit to a problem with the MK1 tensioner

The LTI chain is a FORD part repackaged by LTI.

The marking links were different colours so it was easily identifiable, with the standard chain having a copper coloured link and the the larger chain having a dark metal colour link.

There are a lot of standard chains out there with a dark metal link but these are just copies. Would you really trust a copy part as important as this especially if could cost you well over £2000 to repair if it lets go.

All the rest of the parts used in the timing chain kit are FORD parts repackaged by LTI.

So i guess i use FORD parts (apart from the tensioner) but just buy them through LTI

To answer the rocker question

The rocker noise you get is caused by the piston tapping the valve (when the timing chain stretches) and pushing it into the rocker. The rocker is oil pressure fed to keep the rocker i contact with the valve at all times. This contact results in a collapse of the rocker insert which causes popping which is more noticable after the timing chain has been replaced.

The rockers can be left until you get a misfire or until you can stand the popping no more. The collapsed rocker/s do not cause damage to the rest of the engine normally.

The only time a rocker will cause any damage to other engine parts is when the roller fitted to the rocker seizes and wears into the camshaft. This a noticable noise normally a loud ticking noise from the top of the engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:13 am 

Then it sounds like a cement mixer full of gravel, bits start to disintegrate and affect the bottom end, then bobs your auntie you need a new engine.
Then you find a refurbish Nissan one and stick that in and drive happily ever after.
or if you wanted a thrill you could find a transit one :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:00 pm 

Only if you ignore the warning signs and let problems persist.
Regular maintanence by a knowledgable garage should prevent any major problems happening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:08 pm 

Thanks for all the info Mike, appreciated.

Mr T is our other resident engine man from up Sefton way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:11 pm 

no "duplex" (double links) timing chain option, or a change to gear drive then...

(but at least you aing a belt...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:20 pm 

The chain is a duplex double link already (but the chain is not the problem only a result of chain tensioner problem) and you could not physically fit a gear option to this engine.

You would have to fit too many gears to cover the distance from the crank to the camshafts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:18 pm 

what engine is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:20 pm 

MR T wrote:
most people I know fit genuine ford parts and not the parts LTI supply

neither Ford nor Lti produce parts, they are all outsourced, like my mate spending £60 on his genuine sierra cosworth ford cambelt to find he could have got exactly the same belt (markings and all) from his usual supplier (and he was a garage owner!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:35 pm 

Without getting into a big debate about the why's and whats.

pretty much everything you buy is outsourced somewhere along the line.

Sony lcd tv:- open it up and you find samsung and LG

LTI taxis:- open them up you find loads of different companies have made parts to come together in 1 unit. Open the parts up and they are made by other companies.

Why should FORD or any other company for that matter be any different

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:32 am 

As we make nothing in this country anymore I suppose everything has to be out sourced.Not long back I took deivery of some boxed tools from a British Company that carried the legend "Made in England" I rung up and asked why one of the consignments contained lables with chinese figures on it and how this sat with "Made in England".
I was told that was because they still made the tin boxes the tools came in over here,everything else was imported from the far east.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:31 am 

taxitechsltd wrote:
Hi the rattling you get is it for the first few minutes or is it an intermittant noise at any time?

The rattling does it happen when you release the throttle just before the revs return to idle?

Any smoke and if so what colour black/whiteblue or grey?

Does it take 3 or more attemts to start?
Whats the prognosis then my mate got a tx 2 and it rattles when its cold and at start up ..i told him to get a fairway .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:11 pm 

TAXINATOR wrote:
taxitechsltd wrote:
Hi the rattling you get is it for the first few minutes or is it an intermittant noise at any time?

The rattling does it happen when you release the throttle just before the revs return to idle?

Any smoke and if so what colour black/whiteblue or grey?

Does it take 3 or more attemts to start?
Whats the prognosis then my mate got a tx 2 and it rattles when its cold and at start up ..i told him to get a fairway .

new timing chain and tension-er required

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:00 pm 

Its had one still rattles ?...fairway is calling him

Post subject: Re: noisy engine tx2
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:17 pm 

Quote:
The rocker noise you get is caused by the piston tapping the valve (when the timing chain stretches) and pushing it into the rocker. The rocker is oil pressure fed to keep the rocker i contact with the valve at all times. This contact results in a collapse of the rocker insert which causes popping which is more noticable after the timing chain has been replaced.

The rocker noise being described here is that when the engine sounds like a motorbike (of sorts) on tick over?

Sorry i know its an old post :D

Post subject: Re: noisy engine tx2
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:00 am 

matty86 wrote:
Quote:

The rocker noise being described here is that when the engine sounds like a motorbike (of sorts) on tick over?

Sorry i know its an old post :D

Old ? You must have used a JCB to dig it up !