Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:09 am 

Hello all,
I just bought my first fairway for personal use. I'm loving the cab, however there are a few niggles that I need help with.

First is a qestion around the central locking, does the central locking work like normal, in that the drivers door locks all doors with the key. Or does the central locking refer to the fact the door lock over 5 mph.

My cab won't lock all doors with the key (i have a long elongated black fob, new batteries fitted , does nothing). Locks rear doors over 5 mph...?

I also have a passenger door that wont lock, key will only go in 1\2 inch. I'm not sure if the lock is from another cab. I already read on the forum that the barrels are transit barrels, just wondering how easy it is to remove without the key. Normally you need the key in to remove barrel.

Sorry for the long post, any help much appreciated
Neill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:29 am 

The drivers door should lock all doors,if not maybe the solonoid in the door has broken .The locking of the doors works with motion of the vehicle so you should hear a clicking when first set off and rear doors will lock,or theres a button under the radio that will lock all doors.As for changing barrell quite a easy job if you need to,take door panel off and three bolts hold handle on ,once removed theres a circlip on back of handle,probally better to just get a new/second hand one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:59 am 

Thanks blackpool for the quick reply. Now I know the central Locking should work, if I can fix that then the passenger door lock can wait. As for the button under the radio , it looks like somebody has changed it for a window switch!? The current window switch does nothing when you Press it. I'll see if I can get one off the web.

Thanks again
Neill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:31 pm 

It is a window switch/rocker switch the same for windows and central locking.Before you try anything check the fuses,they are tempremental at best !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:06 pm 

I checked all the fuses when i got the cab, but will check again.
Neill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:31 pm 

Back again, the fuses were ok, noticed that when the fuse was replaced the solenoid in the door clicked momentarily, thinking the central locking relay maybe shot, hence why the key and switch don't work but there is power?...

Any thoughts?

Neill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:38 pm 

If you take the fuse in and out the central locking will click thats normal.Usually only need one key to lock all four doors.If one of your rear doors isnt locking properly could be a few things.Is it locking from the inside ? Best thing is to take iterior panel of and have a look check the little bar that comes of the motor to handle is secure,also theres a circlip that sometimes comes off the back of the handle (usually falls into bottom of door!)sorry sounds complicated but its a easy fix good luck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:30 pm 

Hi Bosscock and Blackpool. I think the problem is the motor for the central locking is sticking . I had this with front passenger door ,I removed the motor and found it had a mind of its own .I put another motor from a central locking aftermarket system and it was sorted. ( the motors are identical MES swiss made ) . Hope this helps. Cheers Kevin.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:59 pm 

Thanks kevin, will check it out at the week end,

Neill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:17 am 

It is one thing that car owners must check. It is not just for their own security but the security of their property also.

Locksmith Steger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:17 pm 

RichardMiller wrote:
It is one thing that car owners must check. It is not just for their own security but the security of their property also.

Locksmith Steger

At Steger Locksmith we provide the fullest diversity of locksmith services and widest coverage of locksmith services in the entire Steger, IL and surrounding areas.

Do they charge extra for coming to the UK? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:32 pm 

Hi i have a tx1 london taxi for personal use and recently i have noticed the locking mechanisam is not working properly it wont lock i will press the phobe to lock it and it locks and immidiatly unlocks but will lock when i use the key can anyone help

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:48 pm 

Fatz151515 wrote:
Hi i have a tx1 london taxi for personal use and recently i have noticed the locking mechanisam is not working properly it wont lock i will press the phobe to lock it and it locks and immidiatly unlocks but will lock when i use the key can anyone help

Driver door...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:29 pm 

I have a problem with the passenger side solenoid for the lock. I took the door apart, gave it some percussive maintenance and it started working.

For two days, and I'm back to it not working.

Does anyone know (KevinBarry?) if the lock motors on a TX2 are the same as a TX1? If so, what model from MES swiss made do it get?

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:43 pm 

Two types of solonoid fitted, two wire fitted to all rear doors tx1-2-4 and five wire solonoids fitted to tx1's early models both front doors and late models only the drivers door.