Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Leaky roof when it rains
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:11 pm 

I have a leak when it rains coming from what looks like top hire sign on the roof of the cab on my tx2.

The water is running in above the rear view mirror where the trim meets the edge of the windscreen. I don't think its the windscreen i think its the seal on the top hat, can you buy new seal or do you have to buy the whole new hat eusasmiles.zip :p

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:32 am 

Fitted 100s of top hats.its them that leak...( CAR WASH ) lot's of silicome around bolt holes....new top hat...hand wash only :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/london-taxis- ... rmvSB=true or T&S 0151 9338585

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:34 pm 

Thanks Mr T

Where are the bolt holes? How do you get to them to try silicone method first.

I dont go through car wash but do use jet wash so could have been that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:15 pm 

[quote="matty86"]Thanks Mr T

I dont go through car wash but do use jet wash so could have been that.[/quote
In the roof holding the top hat on......take the meter cover off...
the silicone goes between the top hat and the roof.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:42 pm 

MR T wrote:
matty86 wrote:
Thanks Mr T

I dont go through car wash but do use jet wash so could have been that.[/quote
In the roof holding the top hat on......take the meter cover off...
the silicone goes between the top hat and the roof.

Ok thanks. So you gotta take the plastic surround off inside the cab to then unbolt it.. and stick some silcone on it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:13 pm 

Is there anywhere online with detailed instructions on how to do this? Or does anybody here have any advice on how to do it? How much of the plastic trim do I need to remove to get to the bolts that hold the roof sign on?
PS. I have an early TX1, although I guess this part will be the same across the TX range

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:03 pm 

neverbanana wrote:
Is there anywhere online with detailed instructions on how to do this? Or does anybody here have any advice on how to do it? How much of the plastic trim do I need to remove to get to the bolts that hold the roof sign on?
PS. I have an early TX1, although I guess this part will be the same across the TX range

I haven't touched mine yet, depending on where you live if you have a slope on your drive, park it so the rain runs off the back it stops it coming through if your leak isn't that bad just until you fix it.

I haven't fixed mine yet but was talking to my mechanic the other day and basically you get to take the bit of trim off inside the cab that the meter is attached to to un bolt it a little bit and squirt some silicone inside (outside between the top hat and roof). Im going to sort it once we get some warmer dry weather, my hire lamps are starting to sometimes work and sometimes don't work now because of the damp in there so probaly best to replace them too.. because you can bet your life if you seal it all down just out of luck the lamps will blow :badgrin:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:48 pm 

just get some silicone and a gun, wait until its a dry day or get a hair dryer and make sure its completely dry, give edge a good clean, now run a bead of silicone around the whole top hat edge where it meets the roof then wet finger and smooth it off, you may also want to do the same around the edge of the taxi display glass as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:19 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
just get some silicone and a gun, wait until its a dry day or get a hair dryer and make sure its completely dry, give edge a good clean, now run a bead of silicone around the whole top hat edge where it meets the roof then wet finger and smooth it off, you may also want to do the same around the edge of the taxi display glass as well.

Why you need a gun.. Stop leaking or I shoot. :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:15 pm 

About to start tackling this tomorrow or Saturday as the weather is nicer and dry at the moment.

My hire bulbs ave blown now see this also needs replacing.. anybody thats done this before or knows.. Do you have to take the meter face off first? and then move the interior plastic surround? how many wires are behind the plastic interior is it loads of fiddling with meter wires etc or a straight forward job?

Also anyone for anyone that's interested and needs a new hire light seal and doesn't want to use silicone you can get a new one from stanley's in Liverpool local to me so i just went and picked one up but you can order it on-line here's the link http://www.stanleyautoengineers.co.uk/i ... re%20light (about the only place i have seen one) more expensive than using silicone but it depends how much you want to spend.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:39 am 

Hello
Did the leak stop?

I tried silicone on the light, the corner of the windscreen and then I think is coming from above the top edge of the drivers door.
The metal edge of the body has corroded away where the rubber seal is fitted and I think the rain is coming in there.
I put some silicone in there yesterday so we will see.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:46 pm 

upnorth2016 wrote:
Hello
Did the leak stop?

I tried silicone on the light, the corner of the windscreen and then I think is coming from above the top edge of the drivers door.
The metal edge of the body has corroded away where the rubber seal is fitted and I think the rain is coming in there.
I put some silicone in there yesterday so we will see.

Yes it stopped it, its a bugger of a job though as you have to take out alot of the interior the meter the clock majority of the frontal plastic surround up by the roof the sun visors etc. then the top hat is usually stuck down with some sort of bostik stuff as well as bolted. Id advise just putting some silicone round the outside of the seal on the top hat if i where you. bare in mind i was getting water all along the top of the windscreen but it was still the top hat seal leaking.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:57 pm 

Well top hat siliconed all round we will see

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:07 pm 

upnorth2016 wrote:

Let us know If it has cured it :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:58 am 

upnorth2016 wrote:

So did it stop leaking then?