Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:54 pm 

I'm getting really poor MPG on my tx2. I know I need to do an air filter change but is there anything else I should consider?

I do the fuel and oil filters regularly, but never done the fuel tank filter, or the gearbox filter. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:03 pm 

LAtaxi wrote:
I'm getting really poor MPG on my tx2.

I doubt anyone in the history of cabbying has ever had anything other than poor MPG in a London Cab.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:24 am 

LAtaxi wrote:
I'm getting really poor MPG on my tx2. I know I need to do an air filter change but is there anything else I should consider?

I do the fuel and oil filters regularly, but never done the fuel tank filter, or the gearbox filter. Any suggestions?

When the cab is stoped..and you rev the engine...does it throw black smoke///does it rev freely...
To clean diesel tank filter....run your fuel down.....jack cab up on one side..undo big nut in the centre of the tank....that is the filter.....clean it out..replace...make sure that the stack pipe it goes onto is clean....look out for water .....knackers the fuel filter...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:06 pm 

MR T wrote:
When the cab is stoped..and you rev the engine...does it throw black smoke///does it rev freely...

Wow, right on the money! The other day, the missus was driving it and revved it in park and I saw thick black smoke come out of the exhaust.

MR T wrote:
To clean diesel tank filter....run your fuel down.....jack cab up on one side..undo big nut in the centre of the tank....that is the filter.....clean it out..replace...make sure that the stack pipe it goes onto is clean....look out for water .....knackers the fuel filter...

Do I need a new filter or just clean the tank filter? And will that do it? or do I need to do anything else?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:36 pm 

LAtaxi wrote:
MR T wrote:

Wow, right on the money! The other day, the missus was driving it and revved it in park and I saw thick black smoke come out of the exhaust.

MR T wrote:

Do I need a new filter or just clean the tank filter? And will that do it? or do I need to do anything else?

just clean the tank filter...........and take out the air filter...see how it runs...if it's ok change air and fuel....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:08 pm 

Have you considered that US Gallons are not the same as Imperial Gallons.

US Gallons are less, so you will get less miles to a US Gallon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:07 am 

blanking the EGR vale off will get rid of a lot of black smoke also, and make it a little bit more nippy