Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:46 pm 

Hi all, been reading online about a lot people blanking off the EGR valve.

Seems it might give better performance and better MPG.

Anyone got thoughts on it? Does it screw the engine long term? Should I just remove it totally, or install a blanking plate between the EGR valve and the inlet?

Was also reading some technique about just shoving a ball bearing in the tube but have no idea about that?

I'll have to install it again when i got the for the emissions test so can't be permanent.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:04 am 

Most of the ford transit guys blank there EGR vales off on the mrk6 which is whats in our TX2, you can even get a blanking plate from ebay cut to shape if you really want to but i used my own bit of metal.

The reduce in smoke out the back is probably about 98% less and yes it is noticeable faster upto 30mph. I also cleaned the engine out and the cat before doing this too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:49 pm 

Thanks Matty. I'll probably get the blank plate off ebay if it's already made.

When you say cleaned the engine and cat before doing this, do you mean completely stripped the engine? How do you clean the cat? Is it something I can do with basic tools? Or do I just shove him in the bath :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:24 pm 

LAtaxi wrote:

When you say cleaned the engine and cat before doing this, do you mean completely stripped the engine? How do you clean the cat? Is it something I can do with basic tools? Or do I just shove him in the bath :lol:

I blanked off the one on my Mondeo, it made it run 80% better but it threw the engine management light on a few times, a cheap diagnostic machine off Ebay took it off within seconds

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:03 pm 

Thanks Nidge2 - I've got the forscan software so can reset anything.

I've got a problem though: The lower bolt (the one closest to the engine block) on the EGR pipe is rounded off :x

It's pretty tight but I can just get a ratchet on there but the socket keeps slipping off.

Does anyone have some bright ideas how to get the damn bolt off? I've tried penetrating oil but no joy. Do I need one of those reverse splines bolt extractor sockets? Or has anyone else got any tips?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:52 am 

LAtaxi wrote:
Thanks Nidge2 - I've got the forscan software so can reset anything.

I've got a problem though: The lower bolt (the one closest to the engine block) on the EGR pipe is rounded off :x

It's pretty tight but I can just get a ratchet on there but the socket keeps slipping off.

Does anyone have some bright ideas how to get the damn bolt off? I've tried penetrating oil but no joy. Do I need one of those reverse splines bolt extractor sockets? Or has anyone else got any tips?

I've got a set of THESE they're priceless.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:58 pm 

Thanks Mate, I nought a similar-ish set from Irwin but unlike the ones you posted, they just have curved splines, not the angular opening.

Because of these curves, I was having a lot of difficulty getting these to "bite", especially with little to no space there, and the damn thing dropped and vanished. Just my bloody luck. It's somewhere by the engine block but for the life of me I can't find it, even with one of those telescopic magnetic pickups. I can't believe my luck with this damn EGR valve. I think I'm going to have to completely disconnect the valve hoses and top bolts, then turn the valve itself to loosen that one bolt. 10minute job in to three days :x

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:28 pm 

LAtaxi wrote:

Any bit of plate will do to blank it off, its two easy bolts to undo. No engine light or anything will come on no diagnostic needed to switch anything off.

you can take the inlet the manifold off and clean it out of all the crap, i took the cat off its 3 bolts each side with a gasket in the middle and blow the soot out with an airline this was more so to get it through test loads of fumes came out! .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:14 pm 

matty86 wrote:
LAtaxi wrote:

its two easy bolts to undo.

If only. I've never had a bolt give me so much grief. It's like it's welded in there. I tried a reverse tap/spline bolt removers and it just couldn't get enough bite. It's got to the point my only option is going to be to rotate the whole EGR valve housing around the bolt and pray the bolt doesn't snap. Nightmare.

matty86 wrote:
LAtaxi wrote:
you can take the inlet the manifold off and clean it out of all the crap, i took the cat off its 3 bolts each side with a gasket in the middle and blow the soot out with an airline this was more so to get it through test loads of fumes came out! .

Is it difficult to take off the inlet manifold? I don't have a gasket though so if that has to be replaced at the same time, I'll give it a miss.