Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:56 pm 

I doubt it's the glow plugs otherwise it'd be harder to start when cold. At 194k possibly the injectors - but I'm only guessing.
Can't think of anything that would cause problems when hot but not cold.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:19 am 

if it was a Mk3 Mondeo.................

same symptoms, it required a ECU update at dealers to latest BIOS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:04 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:

Oooh yes. Doesn't the ECU on the mondeo allow for wear and tear on the injectors and recalibrates them/adjusts the timing automatically ? But it only does this up to 100k or something, then they need reprogramming. Hence an ECU update.

A lot of garages don't know this and just replace the injectors. I'ts why there where a lot of supposed injector failures at just over 100k - the ECU wasn't recalibrating them. Maybe the Vito has something similar ? It's not the vehicle mileage but the injector mileage - replace them at 90k (on the odometer) and they'd be ok until 190k on the odometer but the injectors themselves would have only been in for 100k.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:17 pm 

:roll:
wannabeeahack wrote:

I’m not saying it isn’t but there’re plenty of other vitos of the same vintage as mine on the rank with much higher mileage ( some close to 500,000) and none of them have suffered with the same problem. I’m going to have the glow plugs changed shortly as it is showing a fault with No4. Then I’m just going to live with it and see what develops. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:12 pm 

MR T wrote:
x-ray wrote:
Camshaft sensor changed and still the same.

At a guess.....injectors or filters.

Hopefully it is the injectors, had a leak off test done today by a Merc mechanic and two of them are borderline. Had them all took out and probably having them reconditioned ( just checking on price of new ones tomorrow with the guys discount, he can get them for cost price because he works there!)
He’s pretty confident this is the problem. We shall see.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:40 pm 

x-ray wrote:
MR T wrote:
x-ray wrote:
Camshaft sensor changed and still the same.

At a guess.....injectors or filters.

Hopefully it is the injectors, had a leak off test done today by a Merc mechanic and two of them are borderline. Had them all took out and probably having them reconditioned ( just checking on price of new ones tomorrow with the guys discount, he can get them for cost price because he works there!)
He’s pretty confident this is the problem. We shall see.

if you were anywhere near Swadlincote youd go to Swad diesels

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:57 pm 

Took the injectors to direct diesel here in Chester and he informed me that they won’t recondition this type of injector, they have done so in the past but they have a lot of issues with them under warranty ( something to do with the solenoids) I have ordered 4 new ones @ £205 +vat each. Let’s hope this is it sorted!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:58 pm 

And it’s,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, FIXED!

£984 for the injectors £110 for the return pipe and £150 labour. (Not including approx £150 on sensors and filter)

The reason it was slow starting was low rail pressure, until it reaches a set pressure the ECU won’t allow the injectors to fire. Why it was better when cold (morning time anyway) we can only think it was because the diesel was cooler and therefore thicker and not leaking back so quick. I would have thought low rail pressure would have shown up as a fault code, it didn’t even on mercedes own Star diagnostics.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:54 pm 

Well, Monday afternoon I was just joining the M56 at Ellesmere Port and I heard a little ‘pop’ and the cab started juddering. I nursed it to the next junction and pulled off the motorway. No 4 injector had blew out of the head stripping the retaining bolts thread, it was only being held in place by the fuel pipe and what was left of the plastic cover. I managed to nurse it to my garage a couple of junctions further.
My mechanic drilled the bolt hole out and fitted a time Sert insert. ( apparently they’re very good ) cleaned the injector and fitted a new seal and stretch bolt, All was well. Fast forward to 10.30 last night and No 1 injector did the same! He’s now going to put inserts in the three remaining bolt holes. I don’t belive in coincidences but my mechanic (and another Merc mechanic) say that’s all it is and there isn’t any underlying problem causing this. They say that because the injectors have been removed several times over the last few years due to the ‘Black Death’ it has suffered, the threads in the aluminium head have just become worn. A steel 6mm bolt into an aluminium head holding an injector that runs up massive pressure is a bad design flaw.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:02 pm 

x-ray wrote:
Well, Monday afternoon I was just joining the M56 at Ellesmere Port and I heard a little ‘pop’ and the cab started juddering. I nursed it to the next junction and pulled off the motorway. No 4 injector had blew out of the head stripping the retaining bolts thread, it was only being held in place by the fuel pipe and what was left of the plastic cover. I managed to nurse it to my garage a couple of junctions further.
My mechanic drilled the bolt hole out and fitted a time Sert insert. ( apparently they’re very good ) cleaned the injector and fitted a new seal and stretch bolt, All was well. Fast forward to 10.30 last night and No 1 injector did the same! He’s now going to put inserts in the three remaining bolt holes. I don’t belive in coincidences but my mechanic (and another Merc mechanic) say that’s all it is and there isn’t any underlying problem causing this. They say that because the injectors have been removed several times over the last few years due to the ‘Black Death’ it has suffered, the threads in the aluminium head have just become worn. A steel 6mm bolt into an aluminium head holding an injector that runs up massive pressure is a bad design flaw.

Aluminium and steel are not good bedfellows....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:54 pm 

There’s customer care for you, my mechanic is booked up for 3 weeks+ for new work and was already behind after fitting mine in last week. He called me at teatime today to say it was done. He went in today and did it so I could be back on the road ASAP.( I’d already been to Mercedes Saturday morning for another feed pipe, bolts and washers) He’s not the cheapest garage around but he is very good and very thorough. Fingers crossed it’s the end of the problem.
Don’t know if I trust the cab anymore now though, it’s just clocked 200,000 miles. I can see a trip to levc in Manchester coming up soon. I’d have to have it on pcp though to keep the payments lower. £177 p/w. If I could save only the £77 it means a new cab for £100 p/w. That’s 3 years warranty and 3 years free servicing. Don’t want to keep throwing good money after bad in the Vito.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:23 am 

Quote:
There’s customer care for you, my mechanic is booked up for 3 weeks+ for new work and was already behind after fitting mine in last week. He called me at teatime today to say it was done. He went in today and did it so I could be back on the road ASAP.

I agree, but it's also good business on his front.

You will sing his praises to dozens of people and dozens of drivers, it's the best advertisements anyone could want, and it cost him zilch.