Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:58 pm 

As title guys, the battery drains overnight, I’ve charged up a few times and topped up the water in the battery, once it’s charged it’s fine starts up straightway, I can use the Can through your the day no problems, But once I parked it up, The next day it doesn’t start and battery is flat, so I thought a drain that is causing the issue so I started checking for a parasitic draw and found that fuse 29 20amp Storage Link is running even when everything is turned off, thing is storage link controls apt of things so how to find out what’s causing the drain, I’ve taken fuse out and I’m Going to check in the morning to see if the Cab starts,but if storage link is the issue then how do I find the cause as it controls the radio lights central locking and maybe more things.

TX2 2006

Thanks is advance

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:10 pm 

Try deactivating the alarm.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:41 pm 

How would you do that mate, is it pulling a fuse or wiring?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:45 pm 

LondonCabbie7861 wrote:
As title guys, the battery drains overnight, I’ve charged up a few times and topped up the water in the battery, once it’s charged it’s fine starts up straightway, I can use the Can through your the day no problems, But once I parked it up, The next day it doesn’t start and battery is flat, so I thought a drain that is causing the issue so I started checking for a parasitic draw and found that fuse 29 20amp Storage Link is running even when everything is turned off, thing is storage link controls apt of things so how to find out what’s causing the drain, I’ve taken fuse out and I’m Going to check in the morning to see if the Cab starts,but if storage link is the issue then how do I find the cause as it controls the radio lights central locking and maybe more things.

TX2 2006

Thanks is advance

get your battery and alt checked

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:04 pm 

Battery is showing 12.7 and when I start the cab it’s shows 14.6 so battery and alternator seem to be ok, especially as the Cab started without any problems this morning, I pulled fuse 29 “storage link” and left it out overnight, so I’ve definitely got a drain, pulled all the fuses one by one and nothing changed until I pull out the storage link fuse, thing is that controls a lot of things, also fuse 40amp which is located on the inner wing near battery when I pull that out test light goes out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:53 pm 

LondonCabbie7861 wrote:
Battery is showing 12.7 and when I start the cab it’s shows 14.6 so battery and alternator seem to be ok, especially as the Cab started without any problems this morning, I pulled fuse 29 “storage link” and left it out overnight, so I’ve definitely got a drain, pulled all the fuses one by one and nothing changed until I pull out the storage link fuse, thing is that controls a lot of things, also fuse 40amp which is located on the inner wing near battery when I pull that out test light goes out.

battery fu*ked

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:37 pm 

Thanks Mr T,The Battery is new only about 4 weeks old, when I pull the fuse for storage link the next day it starts fine with no problems, I’ve had it checked by electrician and there is a draw of 0.006 which shouldn’t be enough to drain the battery, alternator is charging the battery at 14.6, and cranking is 11.07. I could get another battery but the same thing will happen again after a few weeks as the reason for the new battery the old one died probably because of this same issue.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:17 pm 

LondonCabbie7861 wrote:
Thanks Mr T,The Battery is new only about 4 weeks old, when I pull the fuse for storage link the next day it starts fine with no problems, I’ve had it checked by electrician and there is a draw of 0.006 which shouldn’t be enough to drain the battery, alternator is charging the battery at 14.6, and cranking is 11.07. I could get another battery but the same thing will happen again after a few weeks as the reason for the new battery the old one died probably because of this same issue.

Does the battery smell of rotten eggs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:22 pm 

I think your alternator is faulty which is doing in your battery turn your headlights on with your engine off and see how long before it goes flat batt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:17 am 

Ok I’ll try that Mr T

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:17 am 

No doesn’t smell of rotten eggs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:00 pm 

Just an update
New battery installed still struggled to start next day but started
Alternator checked showed ok and charging the battery
Starter checked no issues there either
Drain test done and Taximeter/Clock fuse showed a drain of 0.036
Radio-PATS-CCU fuse showed a drain of 0.02

The old battery I took off has been sat in the shed for a couple of days, checked it with multi meter and showed 12.86v so that has not drained and I’m presuming that the battery is ok.

Now the question how to sort out the Taximeter drain, I will try and take the fuse out tonight and see if it starts the next day
If that is the problems ie drain how would I sort that out, read somewhere that the meter has relays that malfunction but didn’t say where theses are located, would they be behind the meter or near fuse box.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:24 pm 

LondonCabbie7861 wrote:
Just an update
New battery installed still struggled to start next day but started
Alternator checked showed ok and charging the battery
Starter checked no issues there either
Drain test done and Taximeter/Clock fuse showed a drain of 0.036
Radio-PATS-CCU fuse showed a drain of 0.02

The old battery I took off has been sat in the shed for a couple of days, checked it with multi meter and showed 12.86v so that has not drained and I’m presuming that the battery is ok.

Now the question how to sort out the Taximeter drain, I will try and take the fuse out tonight and see if it starts the next day
If that is the problems ie drain how would I sort that out, read somewhere that the meter has relays that malfunction but didn’t say where theses are located, would they be behind the meter or near fuse box.

Thanks

What do you mean by New battery installed still struggled to start next day but started

Put your headlights on and drain some of the power off your battery,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and then see what the alt is puting back in

your bat is a storage unit made up of cells if all are working it will store more power for a longer time .... it can sill read 12 v if most of the cells are no good

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:09 am 

I put another battery in, next day the cab started, cranked really slowly but fired up, think another few turns and it would not have started, it’s literally like try to start a car with dead battery, once i can get her to start I can use the Cab throughout the day with no problems, this start problem is only happening when I park it up overnight and try starting the next day.

Mr T headlights on with cab running or off?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:12 am 

I know it's not a cure but I recently purchased an Audew 2000A (20'000)mAH Jump starter power pack as I had a similar issue on my private car, It's awesome, just take it out the boot, clip it on the battery, hit the boost button and it fires it up instantly when you turn the key.

I've used it on my wifes car as well, they can do about 20 or 30 Jumps before you need to recharge it, it also recharges from the fag lighter once your running and it will charge your mobile and has a built in torch.

Just gives me peace of mind that I'm not going to be stuck with flat battery some where.

Like I say, it's not a fix but it makes sure you can start the car, think it was £78 I paid.

https://www.audew.com/Audew-20000mAh-Peak-1500A-Car-Jump-Starter-for-Any-Gas-Engine-or-Up-To-8-5L-Diesel-Engine-with-LCD-Power-Display-p-100058.html