Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: TX2 Engine
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:47 am 

Good morning cabbies,

Does anyone out there have any ideas on an engine swap for my TX2? I bought it a couple of months ago. I love the cab, its mint, my customers love the cab as its an unusual vehicle for round here. The MPG however is a killer and is seriously denting my profits. It's a very reliable engine but it's just not good for the wallet.

I'm interested in what engine can be exchanged successfully to give my finances a breather.

After reading some comments on other threads, I'm not interested in being looked at or spoken to down some clown's nose. I'm a new cab driver but not new to life and will still tell you to Foxtrot Oscar if you're a ball and bat...

With hindsight this was possibly the wrong vehicle but I would rather improve it than sell it now.

Thanks,

Gaz

Post subject: Re: TX2 Engine
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:23 am 

London Cab Gaz wrote:
Good morning cabbies,

Does anyone out there have any ideas on an engine swap for my TX2? I bought it a couple of months ago. I love the cab, its mint, my customers love the cab as its an unusual vehicle for round here. The MPG however is a killer and is seriously denting my profits. It's a very reliable engine but it's just not good for the wallet.

I'm interested in what engine can be exchanged successfully to give my finances a breather.

After reading some comments on other threads, I'm not interested in being looked at or spoken to down some clown's nose. I'm a new cab driver but not new to life and will still tell you to Foxtrot Oscar if you're a ball and bat...

With hindsight this was possibly the wrong vehicle but I would rather improve it than sell it now.

I’ll stick my head up above the parapet first, then.

You cannot deny the laws of physics, there is no magic bullet engine that would radically improve your mpg.

Have you considered if there were a more fuel economic engine how much it would cost to have exchanged? ( £4,000 to £7,000 I would estimate, from experience)

LPG? Again, the cost of conversion, against benefit.

Personally, I would run the TX2 as it is, and accept the low fuel economy.

You could find you spent thousands on “upgrading” only for your council to decide they will only licence euro 5/6 vehicles.

And for the last 18 months, TX2’s have been selling out of London for £1,000- £1,500. Cheap as chips, really.

So don’t do it, is my advice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:04 pm 

London Cab Gaz wrote:
Good morning cabbies,

Thanks,

Gaz

Move it on and buy a TX 4 from London 1500 ish

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-cars/20 ... 1408990258

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:58 pm 

Thanks guys,
Sorry for my grumpy attitude. I was in the throws of covid having tested positive on Monday so I wasn't quite myself. Still recovering now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:04 pm 

The tx4 are the worst for fuel economy