Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tyres
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:02 am 

Location: Grim North, Carrot Crunchers and Codhead Country, North of Watford Gap
Just on me 2nd set in 5 months

What do you use/buy??, top o the range seem to last even shorter
I only buy low priced, kerbing,[ you can't help it] turning against the camber on spin rounds, speedc humps, knocks the hell out of em

Both my N/S was worn to the edge, the O/S got 4 mill left, [ don't want the taxi driver police to report me] mine are 215 55 16 best price could get was £46.95 plus vat plus fitting, tried Etyres on the net, they come out to you, I emailed them, let them know I wanted low priced etc etc, they never came back to me, so went to my local tyre fitters

Had a bloke in the taxi tonight, runs small tyre outfit, he reckons they only make about 8 quid on a tyre, perks it up a bit with the add ons, the valves and balances, he says he sees no increase in price of tyres at the moment, trade gone quite

I do keep spare booted wheels at home just incase of punture on Friday or Saturday nights,[ space saver tyre a load of crap] is that what you do ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:24 am 

If they are for a car and not the TX, go for michelin all weather, I have done 32k on mine on the front and still have 4mill left and get your tracking checked, and your ball joints, I use michelin fuel savers on the rear and get 50k plus from them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:04 am 

Location: Grim North, Carrot Crunchers and Codhead Country, North of Watford Gap
skippy41 wrote:
If they are for a car and not the TX, go for michelin all weather, I have done 32k on mine on the front and still have 4mill left and get your tracking checked, and your ball joints, I use michelin fuel savers on the rear and get 50k plus from them

Tracking [lazer]spot on, checked 4 months ago and ajusted, this model never gets ball joint problems,15-20thou miles good rate for tyres [cheapo]for mercedes on this job, I'm talking 2 ton of car, Mercedes top o the range

tried Mich's but seem to wear fast, but your advice is noted,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:18 am 

A rough idea what others are getting in normal motoring
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthre ... re+mileage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:46 pm 

I use the cheapest new ones I can get (about £50 a pair including vat), and they last forever.

Learnt my lesson when I tried keeping the same tyre as the motor came with. Had one about a day and a nail went through the side. :sad:

Was replaced by a cheapee. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:59 pm 

www.mytyres.co.uk

burgets start from 39.50 each inc vat and shipping, but then you need to arange fitting yourself

bi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:45 pm 

I use remoulds, say what you like about them, I find them brilliant, if the PCO in london allow them, then thats good enough for me. £25 each for an omega.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:02 pm 

watch some of these tyre companies, especially if you got decent alloys, some are cutting costs by putting on steel wheel weights which cost pence on the outside of the alloy wheel, when you should have stuck ones [lot more expensive] on the inside of the alloy,

just taken mine back, told them to remove them and put them on the inside, to which they did, straight away

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:10 pm 

What's the difference between the steel wheel balancers and the alloy ones Pete?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:33 pm 

They make your wheels look daft like Sussex :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:31 am 

TDO wrote:
What's the difference between the steel wheel balancers and the alloy ones Pete?

The rims of an alloy wheel can use a balance weight similar to the steel wheel, but having slightly different fixing for the alloy weight, but with a weight on the seen side of the alloy will damage and tarnish the alloy eventually and leave marks, here is a pic of all wheel weights, including the adhesive stick on ones.
http://www.tyrebaydirect.com/3-Lead_Fre ... ights.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:33 pm 

Anyone fancy these pics as an avatar? :lol:

I should have been more specific in my question Pete - is the higher cost of the alloy balancers because of the more complex design and materials used?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:31 am 

trye Costco