Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:23 pm 

Hi All
Have now had an ongoing problem for the last 6 months. It looks like the the low pressure hoses going from the ATF reservoir to the power steering pump and power steering box are leaking badly. Initially, I was able to get away with topping up the reservoir approx every two weeks. Then every week, more recently every day, and yesterday it was 3 times in the course of a shift. Now you might ask why don't I just get them replaced. Well that illustrious company more commonly known as LTI have a problem with their manufacturer. Apparently, their original manufacturer closed down and they have had to find a new one. This they have done. But I have now been waiting 4 months for them to come up with the goods. Original arrival date was supposed to be April. Now it has been put back to May...... and if I know LTI it will be put back to June.

My question is, does anybody know of any supplier or mechanic or breakers yard in the whole of the UK who is able to supply Part No:609754. Even better can anybody recommend a TX mechanic in the Edinburgh area who can sort out my problem, even if it is only a "bodge job" for the time being. My mechanic (won't mention his name) seems unable to do anything.
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:56 pm 

Don't bother with origional parts (Hellishly expensive!)(

Is the leak from the metal connectors that join the rubber pipes to the metal (Aluminum?) ones. If so, carefully cut away the metal part from the rubber, and use a small jubilee clip to reattach the pipe. Did mine 3 months ago - no problem since.

If you have to change the pipe itself go to Halford's, or equivalent, and get replacement low pressure hose of the correct diameter - honestly, no big deal at all to fit (with jubilee clips again).

If it is one of the metal pipe unions that is failing, just go see anyone that makes up brake pipes (Quick fit?), they will sort you out in short order.

Hope this is of some help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:10 pm 

Thanks for that DocG. My mechanic is going to get a flea in his ear. Why he couldn't have come up with a solution like that is beyond me. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:31 am 

Deacon Brodie wrote:
Thanks for that DocG. My mechanic is going to get a flea in his ear. Why he couldn't have come up with a solution like that is beyond me. Thanks again.

Contact JV Brights Taxi parts in London, they carry a big range of pattern parts.

T : 0207 803 0803

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:21 pm 

if not, try somone like pirtek, they make up all sorts of hoses, might be worth a go, here's the listing from yell.com >>>>>>>>>>

Pirtek
40a, Swanfield Industrial Estate, Bonnington Rd, Edinburgh, Midlothian EH6 5RX
Tel: 0131 554 1445

Classification: Pipes & Fittings - Flexible

hope it helps :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:04 pm 

Thanks for all the suggestions. Problem now solved. Turned out to be not only the hoses but the ATF reservoir as well.