Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: octavia brakes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:27 am 

my 1 yr old octavia diesel 1.9 brake warning light came on 32000 miles can i use local garage to replace pads will light go out or have skoda got to reset light. how much time do i have no grinding or noise no loss of brake advice welcome regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:59 am 

With most brake lights the light comes on when the sensor in the pad starts to touch the disc. The pad should be around 2-3 mm thick at this stage. Still enough to stop the car but efficiency will be dropping. I would say replace them as soon as you can. When you fit new pads they should come with the sensor already in place so all that you need to do is unplug the old sensor and plug in the new one and the light will be out. :wink:

Post subject: Re: octavia brakes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:20 am 

robo wrote:
my 1 yr old octavia diesel 1.9 brake warning light came on 32000 miles can i use local garage to replace pads will light go out or have skoda got to reset light. how much time do i have no grinding or noise no loss of brake advice welcome regards

You can use any VAT registered gararge to get any work done without affecting your warranty kwick fit for pads or any other similar outlet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:39 am 

skippy41 wrote:
robo wrote:

You can use any VAT registered gararge to get any work done without affecting your warranty kwick fit for pads or any other similar outlet

Just make sure they use approved parts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:01 pm 

robo wrote:

Go to a VAT/MOT garage and save yourself about £50.

Not sure how long you have got, but as it's a new motor the sooner the better. :wink:

Post subject: octavia brakes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:59 pm 

many thanks to all for prompt help got them done today at hi q in consett they did back ones as well as my retest is next month. derwentside council test very strict last year they failed my new car cos top hat not big enough. regards

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:06 pm 

robo wrote:
many thanks to all for prompt help got them done today at hi q in consett they did back ones as well as my retest is next month. derwentside council test very strict last year they failed my new car cos top hat not big enough. regards

How much did they knock you back for changing them???
And what the hell has the height of the roof light got to do with the test, as long as it works whats the problem??????

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:10 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
robo wrote:

And what the hell has the height of the roof light got to do with the test, as long as it works whats the problem??????

Some places have standards skippy, we're not all like you yobbo's on that side of the border you know. :lol:

A certain size and design.

CC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:23 pm 

captain cab wrote:
skippy41 wrote:
robo wrote:

Some places have standards skippy, we're not all like you yobbo's on that side of the border you know. :lol:

Your right CC just like excluding certain types of cab from a particular rank :wink: :lol:

CC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:05 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
captain cab wrote:
skippy41 wrote:
robo wrote:

Your right CC just like excluding certain types of cab from a particular rank :wink: :lol:

CC

Yes, exclude them all, apart from me. :wink:

CC

Post subject: roof signs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:05 pm 

wasnt height it was width had to cover full roof yet ph test less strict god knows how some get through.. In Consett most are ph I do telephone bookings and off rank but the big guys have who have monopoly are ph they have the supermarkets apart from Asda in Stanley 8 miles away who have rank outside i go there when quiet. trade under DELVES TAXIS name of my area outside consett Destination Every Local Venue Every Supermarket. ps got front and back pads plus a couple of tyres done for 160 quid

Post subject: Re: roof signs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:12 pm 

robo wrote:
wasnt height it was width had to cover full roof yet ph test less strict god knows how some get through.. In Consett most are ph I do telephone bookings and off rank but the big guys have who have monopoly are ph they have the supermarkets apart from Asda in Stanley 8 miles away who have rank outside i go there when quiet. trade under DELVES TAXIS name of my area outside consett Destination Every Local Venue Every Supermarket. ps got front and back pads plus a couple of tyres done for 160 quid

A PH monopoly?

You see, if you guys were deregulated that wouldnt happen......errm you are deregulated....

They're having similar problems with a supermarket in Chester le Street I understand. The PH see it as their own pitch.

CC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:09 am 
skippy41 wrote:
robo wrote:

Took my motor to Kwik Fit just after Christmas for some new pads, I left it with them for them to do, an hour later they phoned me back saying my discs needed replacing, do they now I said to the lad on the phone? Yes they do there's a crack in one of them. Mmmm I'd better come down and have a look then hadn't I? I got there went to the reception and asked to be taken to the car so I could have a look at the cracked disc? They said sorry we can't show it you your not allowed in the garage due to health and safety. Now I'd heard some horror stories about Kwik Fit trying to rip people off for work that didn't need doing. I told them to put the wheels back on and leave it.

I took the car home took the wheels off to see if the discs were cracked and guess what?? No cracks in the discs, they were trying to con me. Took the car to a garage round the corner from where I live he looked at the discs and said there's nothing wrong with them, he put some new pads on for me charged me £40 and away I went.

Aviod Kwik Fit.