Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:13 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
This is purely rumour but it wouldn't surprise me with our council

SKDC has decided that all those taxis they have licenced to work stamford are causing major headaches so have come up with a plan to cull the numbers the plan is ......................................................................

To put the plate fees up to £500 a year :shock: :shock: :shock: this is designed to discourage some of the excess numbers one source also says that the increased fees will ONLY apply to Stamford based taxis not those based in Bourne ,Market deeping or grotsville who will continue to pay £195 a year

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:25 pm 

edders23 wrote:
To put the plate fees up to £500 a year :shock: :shock: :shock: this is designed to discourage some of the excess numbers one source also says that the increased fees will ONLY apply to Stamford based taxis not those based in Bourne ,Market deeping or grotsville who will continue to pay £195 a year

Ask them on what legal basis they propose that.

It might be legal, but to me it's just another hair brain idea from a clueless licensing officer trying to mug f***wit councillors.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:51 am 

edders23 wrote:

If all these areas are within your licensing authorities area I would find that strange, but probably not illegal.

I would start by asking to see the licensing departments accounts for the last five years, which you are entitled to see, bearing in mind that they can only recover the costs of the licensing department & not make a profit.

If they refuse you access to the accounts, the next step would be to speak or probably write to the District Auditor, to complain that you are not being given access to the department's accounts.

"Noli nothis permittere te terere."

"Illegitimi non carborundum"

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:11 pm 

edders23 wrote:

If all of the above areas are within the controlled district.

I would say the increase outlined above is illegal.

Obviously your area isnt zoned otherwise there wouldnt be a problem and the above idea wouldnt have come up. Seems to me your council has an ulterior motive when considering the fees.....fees that are designed specifically not to make a profit and must only cover the cost of the licensing regime.

Mind you, it just goes to show what a complete success deregulation is :lol:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:17 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
The licensing department has been asked several times for accounts and every time they provide a set which shows them losing £30000 a year ! SKDC are experts at creative accountancy

The major problem is lack of consultation only certain drivers/taxi firms get invited to meetings the likes of myself /Nick, A.d and Bob Forsythe who is the "official" trade representative don't get invited because they know they'd be in for a rough ride if they did basically only 1 of the four towns has been flooded with taxis which is why they are thinking of this BUT what they fail to realise is that all these taxis will simply list their base of operations as being deeping or bourne and work stamford anyway which is what happens now after 11 pm as Stamford is the only one of the 3 towns with nightclubs which is why up to 60 or 70 taxis are queueing for the rank on a friday or saturday night causing the complaints etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:55 pm 

edders23 wrote:
The major problem is lack of consultation only certain drivers/taxi firms get invited to meetings the likes of myself /Nick, A.d and Bob Forsythe who is the "official" trade representative don't get invited because they know they'd be in for a rough ride if they did basically

The council doesn't have a choice who it consults with, by law it must consult with everyone who has an interest.

Why not join one of the national associations/unions and let them get you on the top table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:16 pm 

edders23 wrote:
The licensing department has been asked several times for accounts and every time they provide a set which shows them losing £30000 a year ! SKDC are experts at creative accountancy

If they are losing money then they are costing tax payers....eventually these things catch up on license holders and large fee's are incurred.

If the person running the licensing department is wanting to keep his or her job......running a £30K loss isnt the way to go about it.

CC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:13 pm 

captain cab wrote:
edders23 wrote:

If all of the above areas are within the controlled district.

I would say the increase outlined above is illegal.

Obviously your area isnt zoned otherwise there wouldnt be a problem and the above idea wouldnt have come up. Seems to me your council has an ulterior motive when considering the fees.....fees that are designed specifically not to make a profit and must only cover the cost of the licensing regime.

Mind you, it just goes to show what a complete success deregulation is :lol:

CC

Sounds like a case of New York New York by the back door!! That's why i feel it should be brought in as it controls numbers, it makes people think twice before applying for excess amounts of licences.

Councils can charge what they like for licences as they will find away within the trade to spend spend spend, Edinburgh needs a new Taxi examination centre at a probable cost of £4m, 100 plates should cover and hey wipe out for the PHC maybe :?: Well done Stamford

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:02 pm 

Private Reggie wrote:
Sounds like a case of New York New York by the back door!! That's why i feel it should be brought in as it controls numbers, it makes people think twice before applying for excess amounts of licences.

So how much do you think they should charge for all the existing plates, which of course we all know they own. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:11 pm 

Either private reggie is pulling our legs, or he's in cloud cuckoo land.

CC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:20 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Private Reggie wrote:

So how much do you think they should charge for all the existing plates, which of course we all know they own. :?

I wouldn't increase the yearly charge too owners, what i would do if i was a council that had De-limited to stem the flow of licences i would increase the NEW licence fee granted too £40k!!! I would justify it by spending monies raised on improving the Taxi service within my de-limited LA.

I would allow the transfer of plates between existing drivers/owners of whom could trade below my £40k mark, i would charge as an LA a plate transfer fee of £1,500, all existing plates would go straight to the transfer list if desired by the holder but any New apps would be charged the New licence fee granted tarrif, if he is unsuccessful i would return 95% of the £40k keeping 2 grand for administration.

In Edinburgh the value for the usage of a plate is to far gone just to wipe it out!!! (as Jim Taylor would like to do) So surely it's fairer to bring in my idea of which is similar to the New York way. The idea protects the investors of our trade.

My opinion may not be yours but what about it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:22 pm 

captain cab wrote:

CC

No pulling legs and definitly not in Cuckoo land :) My idea is meritable :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:04 pm 

Private Reggie wrote:
captain cab wrote:

CC

The medallion system is operated in New York.

The majority of medallions are owned by people who regard them as investments, such as little old ladies who have retired and gone to live in Florida.

The old ladies ensure cab garages look after their investments.

A recent medallion auction raised millions of dollars for the City of New York issued further medallions, one went for a reported $360,000.

If thats what you want in Edinburgh approach the Scottish Taxi Federation, get Scottish law changed, hand in all plates and let them go for auction.

Personally, I dont think that system works as it has no knowledge of demand from passengers, but lets not worry about them, just think of the money?

CC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:47 am 

Private Reggie wrote:
My opinion may not be yours but what about it :D

I agree with that, but I think it's fair to say that there is more chance of Scotland qualifying for the European/World football finals than your proposals ever happening.

Or maybe it's the other way around. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:56 am 

captain cab wrote:
Private Reggie wrote:
captain cab wrote:

CC

The medallion system is operated in New York.

The majority of medallions are owned by people who regard them as investments, such as little old ladies who have retired and gone to live in Florida.

The old ladies ensure cab garages look after their investments.

A recent medallion auction raised millions of dollars for the City of New York issued further medallions, one went for a reported $360,000.

If thats what you want in Edinburgh approach the Scottish Taxi Federation, get Scottish law changed, ? hand in all plates and let them go for auction?.

Personally, I dont think that system works as it has no knowledge of demand from passengers, but lets not worry about them, just think of the money?

CC

Fair comments until you said, hand in all plates?

The cost of De-limitation to Edinburgh Council as far as compensation to existing plate holders would be over £60m, you see Edinburgh council has allowed the value of the plate to increase to it's present level. This is part of Taylor's game, he wants the council to pay out compensation after he has De-limited our trade (not) His and her (Skull) game is to screw the council right to the core.

The New York way would allow existing plate owners to keep their plates as they do but any NEW plates would incurr A higher application fee of £40k. Based on the above DO you see the temptation to the LA of Edinburgh? No more court cases, No compensation and using another way to restrict the flow of Taxi's without the fear of De-limitation, my idea Fecks Hannibals Taylors plan right out the water. :wink: :wink: