Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:34 am 

Further freeze proposed on new taxi licences

The council is proposing a further freeze on new taxi licences in Reading until spring 2011.

The freeze was introduced last October because the economic downturn had hit the taxi business. Today's licensing application committee will consider extending the freeze on issuing new Hackney carriage licences.

It follows a survey, carried out by consultants Transportation Planning International, to see if there is any “unmet demand” for taxis.

It found “significant unmet demand for Hackney carriages does not exist in the Reading rank-based market”.

However the survey did observe problems at Reading Station taxi rank where traffic congestion meant passengers often had to wait longer than normal – not because there was a shortage of taxis, but because traffic prevented the taxis from pulling away.

In a street survey of 247 people, 69 per cent said there were enough taxis, 21 per cent said there were too many and 10 per cent thought there were not enough.

The survey also found most people would like to see cheaper fares and many wanted a new rank at The Oracle.

source: http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:16 pm 

I wonder if this council are still adopting dubious policies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:26 pm 

captain cab wrote:
I wonder if this council are still adopting dubious policies?

If they are not then they will be in a gang of one. :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:05 pm 

Should be interesting to see the results of this meeting!

http://www.reading.gov.uk/councilanddemocracy/committee/meetingscalendar/committeemeeting.asp?id=SX9452-A7840574

http://www.reading.gov.uk/Documents/Committee_Services/Licensing_Applications_Sub-Committee3/2009-2010/100216/Item6Report.pdf

http://www.reading.gov.uk/Documents/Committee_Services/Licensing_Applications_Sub-Committee3/2009-2010/100216/Item5AppxPart1.pdf

Have I said I think the situation in Reading is about as mental as anywhere I have ever been made aware of?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:26 pm 

captain cab wrote:

Do they not have any licensing lawyers in Reading?

Talk about making things up as you go along.

What a shower of ***t. ](*,)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:50 pm 

It seems the committee has decided to;

1. Remove the condition that the driver has to personally drive the vehicle for 37 hours per week.
2. Remove the condition that the driver does not have to rent the vehicle out for a second shift.
3. Not removed the condition that the plate can not be sold on.
4. No more plates to be issued for 3 years as survey shows no unmet demand.

So at least they have got three of the four decisions legal. Not bad for a council really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:53 pm 

Sussex wrote:
It seems the committee has decided to;

1. Remove the condition that the driver has to personally drive the vehicle for 37 hours per week.
2. Remove the condition that the driver does not have to rent the vehicle out for a second shift.
3. Not removed the condition that the plate can not be sold on.
4. No more plates to be issued for 3 years as survey shows no unmet demand.

So at least they have got three of the four decisions legal. Not bad for a council really.

A little sanity.........cant help but think who put together the list......I cant see a council being knowledgable enough to.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:31 pm 

Cab licence freeze takes pressure off drivers

Hard-up cabbies have backed the council’s decision to impose a further freeze on new taxi licences in Reading.

The limit on the number of Hackney carriage licences on offer was introduced last March after drivers complained there was no more room on the ranks.

And last week councillors voted to extend the freeze until a further review in 2012 – but warned they could issue more plates before that if the situation improved.

They also fell short of agreeing to drivers’ calls for a set three-year cap on numbers.

The decision followed a Government study, carried out by consultants Transportation Planning International, to assess the level of demand for taxis in the borough.

There are currently 214 Hackney carriage drivers in Reading – up more than 40 per cent in the last two years.

Paul Beecham, who co-ordinated the survey, told the licensing application committee there was “no unmet demand for Hackney carriages in the Reading rank-based market”.

He also highlighted problems at Reading Station taxi rank where congestion meant passengers often had to wait longer than normal because traffic prevented the taxis from pulling away.

Tahir Abdullah, acting chairman of Reading Cab Drivers’ Association, told last Tuesday’s meeting the economic downturn had hit the taxi business hard.

“Right now we are just about managing,” he said. “There are huge problems because we have way too many cabs in Reading.”

Cllr Jamie Chowdhary agreed.

“Clearly it is difficult times out there,” he said.

“This will take the pressure off and give them commitment to allow their investments to be paid off.”

Keith Johnson, chairman of Reading Taxi Association, backed the move but had hoped for a three-year limit to give drivers some “stability”.

“It’s clear that the number of cabs is disproportionate to the work available,” he said.

“Three years would give drivers a chance to pay off the crippling debt of purchasing a new vehicle, and encourage others to upgrade their vehicle. It would give us a chance to breathe.”

A new Hackney cab costs around £30,000.

However Cllr Deborah Edwards had reservations.

“I’m concerned that if we gave three years then the business would stagnate,” she said.

“I want to keep our drivers alert and keen.”

source: http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:33 pm 

captain cab wrote:

A new Hackney cab costs around £30,000.

I wonder how many cabs in Reading are bought new?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:12 pm 

captain cab wrote:

Exactly who the f*** is she to say that? :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:37 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

was thinking the same. besides how alert will they be at the end of a 16 hour shift, if she prevails?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:16 pm 

grumpy wrote:
Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

was thinking the same. besides how alert will they be at the end of a 16 hour shift, if she prevails?

Keep them hungry.....we cant have a lazy cab trade can we.....keep them hungry keep them asking for more.

Its our fault.....we f8cking elect them.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:59 pm 

They could only be paying £20,000 for a new cab if reading, If the council where to ditch the turning circle as the high court says they must

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:04 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
They could only be paying £20,000 for a new cab if reading, If the council where to ditch the turning circle as the high court says they must

Did you know.........only 5% of drivers actually buy new cabs?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:15 am 

captain cab wrote:
Did you know.........only 5% of drivers actually buy new cabs?

And 80% of those wanting to buy a new cab, from a leading trade supplier, get turned down by the credit company. :shock: