Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:25 pm 

Taxi driver knowledge tests

KNOWLEDGE tests will be introduced for taxi drivers as part of an overhaul of the system for North Somerset cabbies.

Private hire drivers will be expected to have tests on the geography of the district and the legal requirements of doing their job, as part of a licensing review by the unitary authority.

Suitability tests for first time drivers are also among the ideas being suggested as part of the North Somerset Council scheme.

In 2008, taxi drivers threatened to cause a town centre lock-down on a Saturday night if many of the same measures were introduced.

But now many drivers feel standards are slipping with too many cabbies coming from outside North Somerset with little knowledge of the area.

They signed a petition in favour of the new measures, which were agreed at a meeting of North Somerset Council’s planning and regulatory committee on February 24.

Committee members also agreed to defer discussions about the amount of disabled taxis available in the district until disability groups and charities could be consulted.

Councillor Andy Cole said: “The issue has been deferred because the consultation process was flawed as they hadn’t consulted with any disabled customers.”

Officers are planning to get in touch with user groups to find out their views and the matter is due to be discussed again at a later planning and regulatory committee.

source: http://www.thewestonmercury.co.uk/content/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:31 am 

The driver in question will probably say.... I know my rights... I've passed my NVQ. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:32 am 

MR T wrote:
I've passed my NVQ. :wink:

The underfunded NVQ......which is only an assessment......which errm is based upon a person doing a job to which they need a license for the job they are doing?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:34 am 

MR T wrote:
The driver in question will probably say.... I know my rights... I've passed my NVQ. :wink:

It'd be useful if the NVQ included a knowledge test or at least some teaching of the area in which the drivers intended to work. Obviously checking the radio for travel news, using the sat nav or asking the operator wtf somewhere is is considered better than actual knowledge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:36 am 

toots wrote:
Obviously checking the radio for

The latest on Steve Wright on an afternoon?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:42 am 

toots wrote:
MR T wrote:

It'd be useful if the NVQ included a knowledge test or at least some teaching of the area in which the drivers intended to work. Obviously checking the radio for travel news, using the sat nav or asking the operator wtf somewhere is is considered better than actual knowledge
the way the work is at the minute he'd be better off learning how to knit or cook :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:44 am 

MR T wrote:
the way the work is at the minute he'd be better off learning how to knit or cook :roll:

=D>

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:30 am 

MR T wrote:

Do London cabbies have to do nvq :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:02 pm 

Taxi driver pleads with councillors

03 March 2010

A WESTON cabbie is begging for new taxi knowledge tests to be stringent enough to stop driving standards slipping.

Private hire licensees will soon be expected to have tests on the geography of the district and the legal requirements of doing their job, following a trade review by the unitary authority.

But John Koulias, who has campaigned for the change, says now the move has been given the green light, he is hoping they will be strict enough to sort the quality drivers from the rest.

In 2008, taxi drivers threatened to cause a town centre lock-down on a Saturday night if many of the same measures were introduced.

But now many drivers feel standards are slipping with too many cabbies coming from outside North Somerset with little knowledge of the area.

They signed a petition in favour of the new measures, which were agreed at a meeting of North Somerset Council's planning and regulatory committee on February 24.

Mr Koulias said after the meeting: "I want to ask councillors to do what they can about the amount of taxi drivers being taken on.

"I'm pleased the measures are being introduced as it is a start.

"I hope the tests are now stringent enough to make sure drivers know the area well enough."

In September the numbers of private hire and hackney drivers taken on by North Somerset Council had grown to 789 from 548 in 2007. But the number has now decreased to 606.

At the council meeting committee members also agreed to defer discussions about the amount of disabled taxis available in the district until disability groups and charities could be consulted.

Officers are planning to get in touch with user groups to find out their views and the matter is due to be discussed again at a later planning and regulatory committee.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:48 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Taxi driver knowledge tests

KNOWLEDGE tests will be introduced for taxi drivers as part of an overhaul of the system for North Somerset cabbies.

Private hire drivers will be expected to have tests on the geography of the district and the legal requirements of doing their job, as part of a licensing review by the unitary authority.

Suitability tests for first time drivers are also among the ideas being suggested as part of the North Somerset Council scheme.

They signed a petition in favour of the new measures, which were agreed at a meeting of North Somerset Council’s planning and regulatory committee on February 24.

Committee members also agreed to defer discussions about the amount of disabled taxis available in the district until disability groups and charities could be consulted.

Councillor Andy Cole said: “The issue has been deferred because the consultation process was flawed as they hadn’t consulted with any disabled customers.”

Where the cider apples grow.... seem to be way behind there.... must be coming from South Somerset :-|