Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:45 am 

Hi
Well the topic just about says it all;thats the basics,after that,it gets rather complicated.

Yes i am stupid,i managed to obtain 5 seperate speeding tickets at 3 points each amounting to 15 points.In fact after 12 points i went to court and won 'exceptional hardship'.So i cold still drive.THe problem with that was,i only needed 1 more ticket in the next 9 months to end up back in court...and hat is what happened.
This time the court banned me for six months driving

I went to the council licensing committee ,after i had received 12 points i was suspended for 5 days,this time they revoked my licence permanently

I appealed in court and was seen on the 15th this month,to cut a long story short the appeal was dismissed.

I am now looking to appeal to Crown Court.

Why? Well i fail to see how you can go from a 5 day suspension to a permanent revocation,i believe i have changed my attitude and have learnt my lesson finally,i am 46 years old,no professional qualification am strguggling to find work and in serious danger of losing my flat for which i have a mortgage.Lastly since the magistrates case i have found proof that the same committe on at least 1 occassion suspended a driver for 21 days though he too had accumulated 15 points.

The question is,do i go to crown,it is sapping my last pennies to do this and putting me further in debt.My solicitor reckons the magistrates was 'not a good example of justice at work'but gives it a 50/50 chance at best in Crown Court

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:16 pm 

stonefish wrote:
Hi
Well the topic just about says it all;thats the basics,after that,it gets rather complicated.

Yes i am stupid,i managed to obtain 5 seperate speeding tickets at 3 points each amounting to 15 points.In fact after 12 points i went to court and won 'exceptional hardship'.So i cold still drive.THe problem with that was,i only needed 1 more ticket in the next 9 months to end up back in court...and hat is what happened.
This time the court banned me for six months driving

I went to the council licensing committee ,after i had received 12 points i was suspended for 5 days,this time they revoked my licence permanently

I appealed in court and was seen on the 15th this month,to cut a long story short the appeal was dismissed.

I am now looking to appeal to Crown Court.

Why? Well i fail to see how you can go from a 5 day suspension to a permanent revocation,i believe i have changed my attitude and have learnt my lesson finally,i am 46 years old,no professional qualification am strguggling to find work and in serious danger of losing my flat for which i have a mortgage.Lastly since the magistrates case i have found proof that the same committe on at least 1 occassion suspended a driver for 21 days though he too had accumulated 15 points.

The question is,do i go to crown,it is sapping my last pennies to do this and putting me further in debt.My solicitor reckons the magistrates was 'not a good example of justice at work'but gives it a 50/50 chance at best in Crown Court

Have you Visited your doctor...you may escape a ban under the new equality bill due to an obvious disability which fails to allow you to raise your right foot whilst sitting.... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:37 pm 

I will be blunt. 5 speeding tickets in 3 years, I would not consider you fit and proper to have a license. You claimed exceptional circumstances after 12 points and you were given a last chance and you blew it. End of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:49 pm 

That's fine,except there is another gentleman who accrued 15 points for speeding in the same timescale,sat in front of the same committee and received just a 21 day suspension..........so im not so sure that is end of,i blew it;particularly as the chairperson was adamant the reason i received the revocation was down to the points received and no other reason.

By the by,would you consider someone who was convicted of assaulting a police officer as a fit and proper person?They did and took no further action which to my mind is laughable.

Therefore if i am not a fit a proper person,i am glad to be so

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:53 pm 

stonefish wrote:
That's fine,except there is another gentleman who accrued 15 points for speeding in the same timescale,sat in front of the same committee and received just a 21 day suspension..........so im not so sure that is end of,i blew it;particularly as the chairperson was adamant the reason i received the revocation was down to the points received and no other reason

I'd say the council had just cause, appeal to magistrates, they presumably knew your occupation and they allowed you to drive, you might get away with it.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:59 pm 

captain cab wrote:
stonefish wrote:
That's fine,except there is another gentleman who accrued 15 points for speeding in the same timescale,sat in front of the same committee and received just a 21 day suspension..........so im not so sure that is end of,i blew it;particularly as the chairperson was adamant the reason i received the revocation was down to the points received and no other reason

I'd say the council had just cause, appeal to magistrates, they presumably knew your occupation and they allowed you to drive, you might get away with it.

CC

His appeal to the magistrates has already been thrown out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:01 pm 

Points come off from the date of the offence and not the conviction date, so by some miracle your first one could be off :?:

I would not like your insurance quote though :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:55 pm 

Quote:

They probably would...... :roll: :wink: :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:29 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
Points come off from the date of the offence and not the conviction date, so by some miracle your first one could be off :?:

Clearly it wasn't off was it or he would not be saying that he had 15 points. :roll: And even if it was, he would have been back up to 12 points and still facing a ban.
Face facts, He was given a chance and still didn't learn the lesson and now he must face the consequenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:46 pm 

Considering that driving people from A to B safely is a major part of this occupation I personally wouldn't think you a fit and proper person with your obvious disregard to road safety and the law. With regard to the other driver only receiving a longer suspension I think the council have done a dis-service to the public as that driver also shows obvious disregard to road safety and the law. The other driver that assaulted a police officer may have been stupid and disrespectful but it is hardly dangerous behaviour is it. This of course is only my opinion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:40 pm 

toots wrote:
Considering that driving people from A to B safely is a major part of this occupation I personally wouldn't think you a fit and proper person with your obvious disregard to road safety and the law. With regard to the other driver only receiving a longer suspension I think the council have done a dis-service to the public as that driver also shows obvious disregard to road safety and the law. The other driver that assaulted a police officer may have been stupid and disrespectful but it is hardly dangerous behaviour is it. This of course is only my opinion

I can only agree with toots' comments... This driver is not fit to work in the industry. To be honest, he sounds like he's made no effort to change his ways after being caught speeding on numerous occasions. Nobody could have any sympathy for this guy who clearly just flouts the rules all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:44 pm 

Quote:

I'm interested by some of these reponses.I d have regard fr road safety and think i have a good record to portray that.I have only ever had one minor accident that was claimed against my insurance when i was about 21 years old ( i am now 46 ) so that is it on 29 years of driving,not bad eh?
The speeding offences were all doing 40mph in a 30 limit on good weather and woth not a soul in sight,reckless driving?
As i said why and how does another driver only receive a 21 day ban,does the inconsistency not concern anyone here??

As for the assault on a police officer....well thats where we differ,i think and know its a very serious offence and shows a propensity to violence,i would consider this person to be potentially dangerous,damn right.

How about the other numerous cases of hackney and private hire drivers driving without insurance,they get away with a 5 day suspension,this is responsible??
I sense here some people are on their high horse because they are not in this position,but just wait until you get yourself in difficulties,then we will see some bleating going on.

I dont believe it is right to take away someones livelihood for minor speeding offences,sorry thats bullshit.Obviously there need to be controls,but they could have taken lots of other actions,a revoation was totally unecessarry in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:00 pm 

stonefish wrote:

The speeding offences were all doing 40mph in a 30 limit on good weather and woth not a soul in sight,reckless driving?

You just don't seem to get it do you. At 12 points you were given a last chance. You probably went to court and pleaded your case and said all the right things and convinced the magistrates that you would be a changed man. Then within 9 months you threw that back in their faces by doing the exact same thing again. And now you expect them to believe you when you spout the same garbage again.
Next you will be saying that you are being victimised and the police are just out to get you.
What are the odds that you will be driving whilst disqualified?
And before you say anything, I was up to 9 points not that long ago and I have worked very hard to make sure that I now drive within the speed limits and I am now down to 3 points. It can be done if you realy mean it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:10 pm 

stonefish wrote:

I wouldn't go to the Crown Court as they will, IMO, support the council's view that you are not 'fit and proper' to drive a taxi/PH, bearing in mind that a court has already decided that you shouldn't drive anything for six months.

Why not wait until the ban is over, and then apply when you will have no points on your license.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:15 pm 

Sussex wrote:

Why not wait until the ban is over, and then apply when you will have no points on your license.

The points may go from his license but the convictions will still need to be disclosed and I can't see the LA giving him a badge for at least 3 years of clear driving.