UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:52 pm 

Chopsy wrote:
toots wrote:
Chopsy wrote:
Good point! I guess the operators don't have to care as long as they get radio rent?

I'll pass your message on...and add a slap for good measure :lol:

That's a bit harsh innit :lol: :lol:

:lol: You don't know my hubby - I'll take any excuse I can get! :wink:

Hmmm.........think I'll start writing a TV series....."Chopsy and Toots" has one hell of a ring to it.. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:46 am 

bloodnock wrote:
Chopsy wrote:
toots wrote:
Chopsy wrote:
Good point! I guess the operators don't have to care as long as they get radio rent?

I'll pass your message on...and add a slap for good measure :lol:

That's a bit harsh innit :lol: :lol:

:lol: You don't know my hubby - I'll take any excuse I can get! :wink:

Hmmm.........think I'll start writing a TV series....."Chopsy and Toots" has one hell of a ring to it.. :?

I think I might be slapped on a daily basis for all to see.......... I'm not sure I'd like that 8-[

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:07 pm 

Toots - based on what I have read of your battles around here, I am fairly confident I'll be the 'good cop'. You're tougher than I am! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:32 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:
As for the suicides,.....if you dont see them as a sign of oversupply of taxis then there is no hope for you.

Why do we not see no end of PH drivers suicides in a 100% non-quota system? :?

Because by & large PH drivers are weekend part-timers with other weekday jobs, whereas by & large HC drivers are in it to win it & for the full week long haul!!

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:53 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Because by & large PH drivers are weekend part-timers with other weekday jobs, whereas by & large HC drivers are in it to win it & for the full week long haul!!

Maybe in your manor, but certainly not mine.

Logic suggests to me that part-timers are likely to rent taxis rather than run their own PH, as the costs of running a car part-time don't make it that viable.

Whilst jockeying a taxi part-time makes more business sense. Well it does in my manor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:23 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:

Maybe in your manor, but certainly not mine.

Logic suggests to me that part-timers are likely to rent taxis rather than run their own PH, as the costs of running a car part-time don't make it that viable.

Whilst jockeying a taxi part-time makes more business sense. Well it does in my manor.

I have to concur with Sussex. The majority of the PH drivers here are all full time and the job is their only job. There are a few who have come into the trade on both sides as something to do because they have now retired from other professions, but, not many

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:42 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:
As for the suicides,.....if you dont see them as a sign of oversupply of taxis then there is no hope for you.

Why do we not see no end of PH drivers suicides in a 100% non-quota system? :?

Of course in a deregulated area you may as well be part time.....or on income support and tax credits. :shock:

CC

Post subject: Irish suicides
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:14 pm 

The suicides in Eire hav nothing to do with oversupply of taxis plates. The problem was many have invested thier life saving to purchase an old Ford saloon for around 75 grand (the going rate before dereg). It was obvious it had to stop. In Manchester a tribunal last year discovered the Asian coming into the trade were being sold free plates for around 50 grand, by people who had been in the trade years and were manipulating a waiting list. Nobody can blame anyone for taking 75 grand when they can,but if you have missed the boat the loss of this money would make anybody suicidal. A change in the law to stop any plate being transfered would put a stop to many of these problems.

Post subject: Re: Irish suicides
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:23 pm 

tom2907 wrote:
The suicides in Eire hav nothing to do with oversupply of taxis plates.

The problem was many have invested thier life saving to purchase an old Ford saloon for around 75 grand (the going rate before dereg).

Thats a rather large contradiction.

CC