Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:10 pm 

I dont want to put a damper on this, but what the hell did people expect from the judgement and what the hell do they expect to happen from it?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:12 pm 

captain cab wrote:
I dont want to put a damper on this, but what the hell did people expect from the judgement and what the hell do they expect to happen from it?

The trade to get together and lobby for a change in law.

Maybe a similar situation to that in Scotland where firms using taxis must be licensed to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:14 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

The trade to get together and lobby for a change in law.

Maybe a similar situation to that in Scotland where firms using taxis must be licensed to do so.

You mean like the one I suggested 3 or 5 years ago and which was subsequently ridiculed?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:18 pm 

captain cab wrote:
You mean like the one I suggested 3 or 5 years ago and which was subsequently ridiculed?

CC

Perhaps you should suggest it again then.

It's an evolutionary thing, go to early with an idea and it's not evolutionary it's revolutionary.

CC you could lead the revolution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:19 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:

and get my head blown off?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:20 pm 

captain cab wrote:

That was then and now is now.

If anything can stop this clear abuse of the acts then I would support it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:22 pm 

I'd like to see what you put forward back then, any current modifications, then, with a bullet proof vest on, if wasn't right behind you, I might be nearby. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:22 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Chris the Fish wrote:

and get my head blown off?

CC

Nah!!

Guillotined!!

More mess!!

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:25 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:
I'd like to see what you put forward back then, any current modifications, then, with a bullet proof vest on, if wasn't right behind you, I might be nearby. :)

http://taxi-driver.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5052&highlight=radio+circuit+licence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:30 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

That was then and now is now.

If anything can stop this clear abuse of the acts then I would support it.

The problem is it will only be a patchwork job again, whereas the 163 year-old legislation needs to be repealed & replaced with an Act for the 21st Century.

Alas, they will probably go for a very, very simple amendment of the LG (MP) Act 1976.

For instance; wherever it relevantly states 'other than a Hackney Carriage', substitute, 'including a Hackney Carriage'.

Job done.

But IMO that again will be a mending of a knackered, outdated (1847) Act.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:46 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
The problem is it will only be a patchwork job again, whereas the 163 year-old legislation needs to be repealed & replaced with an Act for the 21st Century.

I was discussing this with someone the other day, and I think a new act could be in the pipeline.

However, I very much doubt any new cab act will allow restrictions to stay.

The EU and all that wont allow it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:32 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Chris the Fish wrote:

http://taxi-driver.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5052&highlight=radio+circuit+licence

Blimey CC, you love to test my reading/understanding faculties.

I have to agree with your "outline" ideas - but the debate with the late JD did show up the flaws. Though on your side, I appreciate that JD forgot more about the Taxi trade and legislation than I will ever know.

I noted that in different words you said "Evolution not Revolution" and on this I agree with you.

Revolution (a new Taxi and PH Act sweeping away all that went before) would be a hell of an undertaking. It may well be that this is the only way to resolve "everything" but no doubt it would immediately on reception cause a whole raft of problems in itself. The lawyers would cream off a whole pile of change in all new Court Cases.

Evolution on the otherhand is a possibility. Would it be impossible to get Hack drivers to "clock on for a set period" (electronically via Data head etc) so that if on duty the Operator who would be licensed in the scenario, is aware of what vehicles, be they Estate, Saloon or WAV are available. Additions to in vehicle CCTV could demonstrate individual driver unavailability due to "Hails or Rank pick ups" so the operator could on occasion be left in the lurch.

Mandatory CCTV with audio could also greatly reduce "Cherry Picking" - another area of concern in your historic debate. Knowing you are being recorded would ensure that all "negotiations over the fare" are above board. Negotiations undertaken outside the vehicle would then be banned and the evidence of the recordings could prove to either the passenger or driver benefit.

It is often said that the 1847 act was designed for the age of the horse, but the biggest changes are not the motive power. The Telephone, the Two Way Radio and the plethora of new technology is in truth a far bigger change than one horsepower for many horses under the bonnet.

In conclusion I support you 100% with the caveat that the changes you propose have to be clear enough and be worded in full to replace those parts of the 1847, 1976 (and here in Plymouth 1975) and other statutes. This was not achieved in your previous debate to which you pointed me. In fact your skilful ducking of the questions posed by JD made you look like the politician that you deny being (and that is not said with the derogatory slant that it seems to have).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:36 pm 

Sussex wrote:
I was discussing this with someone the other day, and I think a new act could be in the pipeline.

Does you rumour-monger know if this going to be in the Queens Speech or will it be a private members bill?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:25 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:

However, I very much doubt any new cab act will allow restrictions to stay.

The EU and all that wont allow it. :wink:
And the EU.. does not allow councils to place restrictions on drivers and vehicles which are designed to keep people out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:32 pm 

One of the biggest problems that this trade has.. is that... within the unions.. and Associations.. there is no uniformity in the way they think..... one area might agree and another area disagree.... so consequently nothing of importance ever goes forward....

you have to remember that some of the people taking advantage of loopholes in the law might not want things to be changed.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next