Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:14 pm 

One of our lads was pulled and fined yesterday for not wearing his seatbelt, he was in his own manor after just dropping a passenger off and going back to the rank. He said the copper was a right @rse and was just trying to impress the VOSA gang who were with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:20 pm 

If you see him tell him to go and speak to the inspector, he will know that hacks dont need to wear one, and the ticket will be quoshed.
Or let it go to court and then make a bigger arse of the plod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:30 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
If you see him tell him to go and speak to the inspector, he will know that hacks dont need to wear one, and the ticket will be quoshed.
Or let it go to court and then make a bigger arse of the plod

Just text him Skip thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:47 pm 

One of our drivers picked up a customer yesterday and for the whole journey she was having a go at the driver for breaking the law by not wearing his seatbelt. She was not interested in his explanation of the exemption. I do hope she reported the matter to the council. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:51 pm 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-t ... l-11712023

Passenger risk

The seatbelt exemption for taxi drivers, which was last reviewed in 1993, is in place because of concerns that wearing a belt would make them more vulnerable to assault or robbery.

Only PH must wear a seat belt but only if they dont have a fare

Who is exempt from wearing seat belts?
Some drivers are exempt on either medical or other grounds. The former, will need a medical certificate from a doctor, the latter include:

A person using a vehicle constructed or adapted for the delivery of goods or mail to consumers or addresses while engaged in making local rounds of deliveries or collections. ie the driver is exempt only when engaged in the round, not when driving to or from it.

Any driver carrying out a manoeuvre that includes reversing. This means that if you are doing a 3 point turn, you do not have to wear a seat belt at any point during the course of the manoeuvre but you must wear it as soon as the manoeuvre is concluded.

A qualified driver who is supervising the holder of a provisional licence, whilst that person is performing the manoeuvre described in the paragraph above.

A qualified driving examiner who, by wearing a seat belt during the course of a driving test, may endanger himself or any other person.

A person driving or riding in a vehicle whilst it is being used for fire brigade, Police purposes or whilst carrying a person in lawful custody (that person also being exempt).

The driver of a licensed taxi while using that vehicle for seeking hire, answering a call for hire or carrying a passenger for hire.

The driver of a private hire vehicle while it is being used to carry a passenger for hire.

A person riding in a vehicle, which displays a trade licence, whose journey is for the purpose of investigating or remedying a mechanical fault in the vehicle.

A disabled person who is wearing a disabled person's belt.

A person riding in a vehicle, whilst it is taking part in a procession, organised by or on behalf of the Crown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:38 pm 

Quote:
Any driver carrying out a manoeuvre that includes reversing. This means that if you are doing a 3 point turn, you do not have to wear a seat belt at any point during the course of the manoeuvre but you must wear it as soon as the manoeuvre is concluded.

no such thing now...................

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:35 pm 

Midlander wrote:
One of our lads was pulled and fined yesterday for not wearing his seatbelt, he was in his own manor after just dropping a passenger off and going back to the rank. He said the copper was a right @rse and was just trying to impress the VOSA gang who were with him.

I would get him to appeal the ticket on the basis of the police and VOSA not having a f***ing clue. ](*,)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:48 pm 

Better still make a complaint against the plod who gave him it to his superiors, regarding his negative attitude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:28 am 

The other night for the first time in a while I picked up a wheelchair fare!

I say to the chap concerned (he was well over the age of fourteen) do you want belting/anchoring in sir...............the answer comes back as NO.

In the event of an accident am I right in saying that I treated that person as an equal member of the public (equal opportunities)...........and that he had the right not to wear a seat belt/anchor if he so wished, even though he could have been done by the law?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:03 am 

cabby john wrote:
In the event of an accident am I right in saying that I treated that person as an equal member of the public (equal opportunities)...........and that he had the right not to wear a seat belt/anchor if he so wished, even though he could have been done by the law?

You can't 'assault' them by forceably putting the seat belt on them.

But you could be prosecuted if you pull off with the WAV punter not wearing a seat belt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:53 pm 

Sussex wrote:
cabby john wrote:

You can't 'assault' them by forceably putting the seat belt on them.

But you could be prosecuted if you pull off with the WAV punter not wearing a seat belt.

I think it’s a lot more involved than that now!!

http://taxi-driver.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtop ... ll&start=0

And under section 160 of the Equality Act 2010, there are requirements that a disabled passenger in a wheelchair must be carried ‘in safety’.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:56 pm 

cabby john wrote:
The other night for the first time in a while I picked up a wheelchair fare!

I say to the chap concerned (he was well over the age of fourteen) do you want belting/anchoring in sir...............the answer comes back as NO.

I believe that in the event of an accident you would be held liable for not securing the wheelchair passenger in the prescribed manner.

If the wheelchair passenger does not wish to be secured, then he does not travel.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:58 am 

Quote:
The seatbelt exemption for taxi drivers, which was last reviewed in 1993, is in place because of concerns that wearing a belt would make them more vulnerable to assault or robbery.

How does this happen in a purpose built taxi or if there is no passenger on board :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:38 am 

toots wrote:
Quote:

How does this happen in a purpose built taxi or if there is no passenger on board :?

I think there is more to the exemption than just the safety issue. I think it is perceived that taxi journeys are reletivly short and that the driver will be getting in and out on a regular basis to help load and unload passengers and goods, similar to some delivery drivers that are also exempt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:35 pm 

grandad wrote:
toots wrote:
Quote:

I think there is more to the exemption than just the safety issue. I think it is perceived that taxi journeys are reletivly short and that the driver will be getting in and out on a regular basis to help load and unload passengers and goods, similar to some delivery drivers that are also exempt.

I think they should check the drivers ass, before they give an exemption, for super glue :shock: