Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:35 pm 

Drunken police inspector had cabbie arrested in kidnap row, court told

July 12, 2011

GMP inspector Anthony Mee denies a charge of perverting the course of justice

A drunk cop accused a cabbie of false imprisonment – then called colleagues to have him arrested, a court heard.

Anthony Mee, an inspector with Greater Manchester Police, was said to have been picked up by the black cab on Deansgate at 5.30am.

Mark Connor, prosecuting, said Mr Mee had been ‘so drunk he had to be helped into the cab’ at the time.

Mr Mee agreed to pay driver Munawar Luqman £30 to take him home to Marple, the jury heard – but at Portwood roundabout in Stockport he suddenly demanded to be let out the cab.

Mr Mee denies one charge of wilfully misconducting himself in public office and another of perverting the course of justice.

Mr Connor said: "He became extremely aggressive, abusive and angry demanding to be let out for no apparent reason.

"Mr Luqman informed the defendant that it was not an appropriate or safe place to stop."

Mr Luqman did pull over less than a mile from the roundabout, the court heard.

But by then Mr Mee had rang 999 from his mobile phone and claimed he was being falsely imprisoned in the taxi, it was alleged.

Mr Luqman told the court: "He was kicking the passenger screen and shouting, ‘Let me out’. He came round to my window, showed me his badge and said ‘you’re in trouble. You’re going to prison’."

The jury heard a recording of the 999 call in which Mr Mee could apparently be heard telling Mr Luqman: "You little ******* – I told you to let me out. I’m going to lock you up."

Two police officers arrived and were told by Mr Mee to arrest Mr Luqman which they eventually did, the court heard.

He was taken to Cheadle Heath police station and interviewed under caution before being released on bail after spending more than five hours in custody.

Police later decided no further action should be taken against Mr Luqman.

But the court heard they had later launched an internal investigation into Mr Mee’s conduct through the Professional Standards Branch Unit, which investigates accusations of police misconduct.

A week later Mr Mee submitted a written statement reasserting the allegation that he had been falsely imprisoned in the taxi and claiming that there had been a dispute over the fare, it was said.

Mr Connor told the jury: "He persisted with this lie."

"As a police officer he knew more than anyone the consequences if what he was doing."

He added: "It was a gross abuse of a police officers position of trust."

Proceeding

Source; http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... court-told

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:59 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Two police officers arrived and were told by Mr Mee to arrest Mr Luqman which they eventually did, the court heard.

They took the word of a pi**ed up loud mouthed yob, who just happened to be their senior.

They should be ashamed of themselves. :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:16 pm 

I feared taxi driver was kidnapping me, Stockport police inspector tells court

July 15, 2011

ON TRIAL; Inspector Anthony Mee

A drunken cop who arrested a taxi driver for false imprisonment feared he could be kidnapped, a court heard.

Anthony Mee, 37, an inspector with GMP, said he felt ‘in genuine fear for his safety’ during the taxi ride home to Stockport after a night out in Manchester.

He said he became trapped and claustrophobic after driver Munawar Luqman refused to pull over.

Mr Mee, an officer with more than 15 years experience, had been out drinking vodka and Red Bull and some red wine until 5.30am when he hailed a cab from the Press Club on Deansgate, a court heard. He paid £30 up front to Mr Luqman to be taken home to Marple, but a row broke out over the fare during the journey, Chester Crown Court was told.

Mr Mee, who denies any wrongdoing, said the cabbie asked for more money when they passed the Portwood roundabout in Stockport.

Mr Luqman later denied in court that he asked for extra cash. The jury was told that Mr Mee demanded several times to be let out of the cab on St Mary’s Way but the driver refused each time and said: "I will take you home – don’t worry it’s my job."

Mr Mee later told police in interviews the mood became ‘sinister’ in the cab.

He added: "I didn’t know what he was going to do. I would have jumped out (of the taxi) if I could have. Effectively, I was being kidnapped as far as I was concerned. He said he wanted to take me all the way home. People get assaulted in disputes with taxi drivers."

Mr Mee added he was vulnerable and admitted he had been drinking. Mr Luqman earlier told the court he thought Mr Mee was very drunk and it would be dangerous to let him out until he found a safe street. The driver stopped less than a mile later on Hall Street, the jury heard.

During the row, Mr Mee rang 999 and ordered officers to come to the scene. The emergency call played in court recorded Mr Mee apparently banging the Perspex divide in the vehicle and swearing before telling the cabbie: "I told you to let me out, I’m going to lock you up."

PCs Christopher Appleton and Paul Varey told the court when they arrived at the scene Mr Mee was ‘drunk and swaying’.

Mr Mee arrested the driver and they both went to Cheadle Heath custody suite with the other officers.

Custody Sergeant John Norbury had told the court that Mr Mee was casually dressed, smelled of alcohol and the zip on his trousers was down.

Mr Luqman was detained for five hours on suspicion of false imprisonment and obstructing a police officer. He was later released and no further action was taken against him.

Mr Mee denies wilful misconduct in public office and a second charge of perverting the course of justice.

Proceeding

Source; http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... ells-court

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:18 pm 

Quote:
Mr Mee, an officer with more than 15 years experience, had been out drinking vodka and Red Bull and some red wine until 5.30am when he hailed a cab from the Press Club on Deansgate, a court heard.

Talking to Rupert, were you Inspector?

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:22 pm 

Quote:
Custody Sergeant John Norbury had told the court that Mr Mee was casually dressed, smelled of alcohol and the zip on his trousers was down.

Jodrell Banker!!!

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:12 pm 

Had he been to a Blues brothers re-union?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:13 am 

I would say he's going to be found guilty, and get the boot.

Almost certain in fact.

The custody skipper and the two PC's are putting him in the frame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:01 am 

The tape of him at the time will also be on the top of the juries mind.

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:22 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I'll wait and see the law frequently errs on the side of the police and against cabbies although I think he'll struggle to revive his career

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:10 pm 

Police inspector tells jury he was 'six out of ten' drunk when he arrested taxi driver - but would have done the same thing sober

July 19, 2011

Police Inspector Anthony Mee, who denies wrongful misconduct in a public office, and a second charge of perverting the course of justice

A police inspector who drunkenly arrested a taxi driver for false imprisonment has told a court: “I would have done the same thing sober.”

Insp Anthony Mee collared the cabbie on a journey home to Stockport after a boozy night out in Manchester city centre.

Mr Mee, 38, who is based in Stockport, admitted being “six out of ten on the drunk scale” after drinking vodka and red bull in The Press Club - but insisted it was still a lawful arrest.

The officer told the jury he felt “in genuine fear for his life” after driver Munawar Luqman repeatedly refused to let him out of the cab.

Mr Luqman said Mr Mee was “very drunk” and it would have been dangerous to let him out at that point.

Mr Mee, a GMP officer with more than 15 years experience, denied any wrongdoing and told the court: “Even when sober I would still have been frightened and still would have arrested Mr Luqman”.

Chester Crown Court earlier heard from three police officers who later attended the scene, who said Mr Mee was drunk.

The officer was off-duty and out drinking with colleagues on Friday, August 21, last year, when he left the Press Club and got in a cab at around 5.30am.

He paid £30 up front to Mr Munawar then “dozed off” and woke up before passing the Portwood Roundabout, the court heard.

Mr Mee told the court he asked for extra cash to finish the journey – a claim the cabbie denied.

The defendant asked three times to be let out of the taxi, but Mr Munawar carried on and said: “I will take you home. Don't worry, it's my job.”

The officer said he felt like “a trapped animal” and “in genuine fear for his life”, and rang 999 to call for more police.

Prosecutor Mark Connor told the jury that Mr Mee was “lying to save himself from embarrassment.”

Mr Mee denies wrongful misconduct in a public office, and a second charge of perverting the course of justice.

Proceeding

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... hing-sober

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:12 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
ON TRIAL; Inspector Anthony Mee

What I can't understand is why the Police inspector seems to be attending court dressed as one of the Blues Brothers.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:40 pm 

captain cab wrote:
What I can't understand is why the Police inspector seems to be attending court dressed as one of the Blues Brothers.
CC

Coz he's in character getting ready to sing "Jailhouse Rock" :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:38 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
tx_op wrote:
captain cab wrote:
CC

Coz he's in character getting ready to sing "Jailhouse Rock" :wink:

Fingers crossed !!!!

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:17 am 

Boozy Stockport police inspector in ‘arrest’ cover-up facing jail

A police inspector is facing jail after he wrongfully arrested a taxi driver while drunk - then lied to cover it up.

Anthony Mee, 38, was found guilty of misconduct in a public office and perverting the course of justice. He arrested cabbie Munawar Luqman on his journey home to Stockport after a boozy night out in Manchester.

Mee – who had drunk at least five vodka Red Bulls and some red wine – launched a foul-mouthed tirade at Mr Luqman, claiming he was being falsely imprisoned after the driver refused to let him out.

A court heard how he told Mr Luqman: "I told you to let me out. I’m going to lock you up."

Mee, a GMP officer with more than 15 years’ experience, denied any wrongdoing and claimed he feared being kidnapped by Mr Luqman.

He told the court he suffered from claustrophobia. Prosecutors said that Mee knew he had made ‘a big mistake’ and was lying to save his job – and more embarrassment.

A jury at Chester Crown Court found the officer wrongfully arrested the driver, and was lying.

Mee said he had been out drinking with colleagues and hailed a taxi to take him home to Marple, Stockport.

He paid £30 up front and ‘dozed off’ for a while, waking up as the cab was approaching Portwood Roundabout in Stockport.

Mee claimed Mr Luqman then asked him for more money to finish the journey – a claim the cabbie denied.

The officer became aggressive and rang 999, saying he was being falsely imprisoned and demanding Mr Luqman pull over immediately.

Mr Luqman told the jury that the defendant was very drunk and it would have been dangerous to let him out straight away. The driver pulled over on Hall Street, Stockport, less than a mile later.

Mee’ s emergency call, played to the jury, recorded him repeatedly swearing at the driver.

He denied misconduct in a public office and a second charge of perverting the course of justice, but was found guilty by a jury after a seven-day trial.

The jury took 11 hours and 22 minutes to find him guilty of both charges.

Mee will be sentenced on August 12 at Warrington Crown Court.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:29 pm 

He is not going to have a good time in jail.

But he has only himself to blame.

One wonders how many times he has got away with his "do you know who I am" comments.