Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: An apology!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:32 am 

Humble apologies to contributors and readers for the forum's absence during most of the past week.

Access to the forum was unexpectedly restricted just over seven days ago. On enquiry we were told that the site's traffic had exceeded the acceptable limit, and were advised that we needed a more professional and expensive hosting package.

Unfortunately getting the site up and running again in the more technical environment was essentially beyond our competence, and our host could proffer little assistance in that regard.

However, a third party suggested that the more advanced package wasn't in fact necessary, and suggested moving the whole site to another host.

However, this process is also technically difficult, and we also had problems accessing the data on our old host's servers in order that it could be moved to the new host.

And of course with our day jobs (or night!) intervening and in view of the time it often takes to get a response to even a basic request or query the whole process has clearly taken some time.

Thus thanks to everyone for their patience and once again apologies for the 'break in transmission'. Fingers crossed that everything will be running smoothly from now on.

And the biggest thanks of all to the third party expert without whose skills and knowledge the site might have had to be humanely destroyed!

(The other parts of the site are non-functional at the moment, but these should hopefully be up and running again soon!)

Post subject: Re: An apology!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:44 am 

Thanks for that Dusty, I was having withdrawal symptoms :lol:
As members can we help with the funds to make sure the site does not go down again could you open a paypal acount so we can help

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:48 am 

Glad to see the forum back.... =D> =D> =D> =D>

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

Alba Gu Bràth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:59 am 

Thank you for your time and effort...................missed you :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:53 am 

skippy41 wrote:
Thanks for that Dusty, I was having withdrawal symptoms :lol:
As members can we help with the funds to make sure the site does not go down again could you open a paypal acount so we can help

Thanks for the kind offer, Skippy :D

Unfortunately, however, it's not me that pays the bills, so I'll leave those that do to respond to your request.

I've just come out of, er, retirement to help out because of the time others have spent trying to sort everything out.

So don't expect any response for a week or two until the rest of the site is up and running normally again. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:18 am 

Your life is restored Skippy. Mrs Skippy will be relieved \:D/

Seriously, nice to be back guys, thanks to all concerned 8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:37 am 

Jesus I was getting the shakes I had to up the Prozac to 3 tablets a day #-o

Good idea fron Skip, why not drop a PayPal button at the top of the site to help with the running costs? I'd gladly some of the Queens English in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:45 am 

It's great to be back. My fingers had just about siezed up. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:41 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
finally got into twitter last night to find little if any info so glad to see the site finally up and running again

I did look into other forii to see if there was any info there but as i discovered TDO has seen off all its rivals no wonder there is so much traffic !

Something I have picked up though from other (Hobby related) forii is that periodic back ups and Archiving of all old posts seems to make a big difference to the efficiency of the site and keeping within forum bandwidth/traffic limits

Well done the team getting us back up and running and a big thumbs down to our previous hosts for making life so difficult

ps there are a couple of forums(ii) that I am aware of that own their own servers that might be worth considering at some point in the future even if some of the members here have to club together and buy it

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:02 pm 

cheers Dusty paranoia was setting in :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:26 pm 

edders23 wrote:
finally got into twitter last night to find little if any info so glad to see the site finally up and running again

I did look into other forii to see if there was any info there but as i discovered TDO has seen off all its rivals no wonder there is so much traffic !

Something I have picked up though from other (Hobby related) forii is that periodic back ups and Archiving of all old posts seems to make a big difference to the efficiency of the site and keeping within forum bandwidth/traffic limits

Well done the team getting us back up and running and a big thumbs down to our previous hosts for making life so difficult

ps there are a couple of forums(ii) that I am aware of that own their own servers that might be worth considering at some point in the future even if some of the members here have to club together and buy it

The V Bulletin Message Boards are the way to go at the moment. These PHBB boards are becoming way out of date at a rapid rate of knots.

A few mates of mine run V Bulletin boards, one has over 10,000 hits and posts a day, it's as solid as anything and has no downtime at all.

Maybe it's time to move over to something that is keeping up with the internets needs?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:49 pm 

grandad wrote:
It's great to be back. My fingers had just about siezed up. :mrgreen:

Poor Mrs Grandad :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:27 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I bet with no access to TDO he was finally able to get around to those jobs about the house she's been nagging him to do :lol:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:43 am 

edders23 wrote:

Indeed the TDO housekeeping could be improved, and it was the move to a dedicated server (or at least something between that and a shared one #-o) that the former host said would be necessary, but someone who knows more than site's admin about such matters suggested that the more advanced (and expensive) packaged wouldn't be required.

And as I said 'the team' weren't in fact responsible for getting the site up and running again - which was primarily down to a third party's expertise and knowledge - even though they spent a considerable time doing little more than pulling hair out, hitting their heads against a brick wall and generally getting knowhere fast :oops:

I'm sure we've all been there with such things - you spend twenty minutes pondering something that someone with the proper skills can overcome in a few seconds. Multiply that by a thousand and there's a lot of time and frustration involved #-o ](*,)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:50 am 

Nidge2 wrote:
The V Bulletin Message Boards are the way to go at the moment. These PHBB boards are becoming way out of date at a rapid rate of knots.

A few mates of mine run V Bulletin boards, one has over 10,000 hits and posts a day, it's as solid as anything and has no downtime at all.

Maybe it's time to move over to something that is keeping up with the internets needs?

Indeed Nidge, but it's always easier to stick with what you have and know, and it's always easier to use the familiar as well.

The vBulletin board that I use I'm not too impressed with to be honest, but as I said that's perhaps more becausse it's phpBB that I'm most familiar with, and of course we're all more comfortable with what we know best. And obviously all these things have their individual pros and cons.

And any problems with the forum lately have been primarily due to hosting issues rather than down to phpBB.