Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:10 pm 
gusmac wrote:
Doom wrote:
[

You have 51 that know about it, once word gets out there will be more than 51 I assure you,

Plus lets look at this own car routine

Car - £125pw based on a cheaper WAV over 5 years
Insurance - £40pw based on a mature man with little or no bonus in a good postcode
Repairs - £20pw based on a vehicle that only needs servicing, brakes and tyres
Licence - £10pw based on road tax and council vehicle licence

£195pw before fuel,

You could say this can increase by £60pw depending on the insurance and if the cab is reliable or not, with a turbo being £1000, a clutch being £800 etc it only takes a few fails to see your margin walk out the door,

Locally a 24/7 car is anything from £200 - £270 depending on what it is and how desperate the owner is to have a bum in the seat, so from my point of view being able to own my own cab at those sort of figures would make me think no thanks, and that's before you factor in more mouths = less work, so you effectively whammy yourself creating a smaller plate to eat from.

Well to listen to this, you'd think the guys renting cabs out were doing it for charitable purposes.
By your figures, they can't be making much :shock:

I can't be arsed picking your figures apart, but new cabs can be had for far less than £125 a week and the deals are usually 4 years, not 5.
http://www.thetaxicentre.com/viewCars.asp?ID=23 and that's for WAVs. Saloons are less.
And that's assuming they even buy a new cab...

Fuel is irrelevant, since the renter pays for that too

Ring them up Gus, what they print isn't what you end up paying, my mate has just bought an NX8, the advert said £22k, he paid £25k for it in the end and it's well over £30k by the time the interest is added, just break down the 25k over 5 years and you are talking £100pw, add the interest and it's the £125pw I listed and do it over 4 years and it's up around £160pw, I'm not making it up it's the fact of the matter, another trick is £19k, but go with cash and see the deal die and become £25k,

You won't be allowed a saloon under new licences it will have to be a WAV and normally brand new as well,

Fact is the rent is market driven, if the driver can take £1000pw it's going to be higher than an area where you can only take £400pw, if you get the chance go for it, and I'll sit back and watch you go bankrupt (not with any pleasure I may add) but that will be the end result, I've experienced this free market thing before, fleet almost doubled before ppl started having to hand the car back as a bad debt, then it got turned over and we went regulated again, now who is more likely to know the real truth, me whose been there, or you who desires to go there, think about it mate. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:16 pm 

Doom wrote:
gusmac wrote:
Doom wrote:
[

You have 51 that know about it, once word gets out there will be more than 51 I assure you,

Plus lets look at this own car routine

Car - £125pw based on a cheaper WAV over 5 years
Insurance - £40pw based on a mature man with little or no bonus in a good postcode
Repairs - £20pw based on a vehicle that only needs servicing, brakes and tyres
Licence - £10pw based on road tax and council vehicle licence

£195pw before fuel,

You could say this can increase by £60pw depending on the insurance and if the cab is reliable or not, with a turbo being £1000, a clutch being £800 etc it only takes a few fails to see your margin walk out the door,

Locally a 24/7 car is anything from £200 - £270 depending on what it is and how desperate the owner is to have a bum in the seat, so from my point of view being able to own my own cab at those sort of figures would make me think no thanks, and that's before you factor in more mouths = less work, so you effectively whammy yourself creating a smaller plate to eat from.

Well to listen to this, you'd think the guys renting cabs out were doing it for charitable purposes.
By your figures, they can't be making much :shock:

I can't be arsed picking your figures apart, but new cabs can be had for far less than £125 a week and the deals are usually 4 years, not 5.
http://www.thetaxicentre.com/viewCars.asp?ID=23 and that's for WAVs. Saloons are less.
And that's assuming they even buy a new cab...

Fuel is irrelevant, since the renter pays for that too

Ring them up Gus, what they print isn't what you end up paying, my mate has just bought an NX8, the advert said £22k, he paid £25k for it in the end and it's well over £30k by the time the interest is added, just break down the 25k over 5 years and you are talking £100pw, add the interest and it's the £125pw I listed and do it over 4 years and it's up around £160pw, I'm not making it up it's the fact of the matter, another trick is £19k, but go with cash and see the deal die and become £25k,

You won't be allowed a saloon under new licences it will have to be a WAV and normally brand new as well,

Fact is the rent is market driven, if the driver can take £1000pw it's going to be higher than an area where you can only take £400pw, if you get the chance go for it, and I'll sit back and watch you go bankrupt (not with any pleasure I may add) but that will be the end result, I've experienced this free market thing before, fleet almost doubled before ppl started having to hand the car back as a bad debt, then it got turned over and we went regulated again, now who is more likely to know the real truth, me whose been there, or you who desires to go there, think about it mate. :wink:

I've been an owner driver for 14 years Doom. Do try to keep up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:17 pm 

Quote:

Didn't read that in the article, did you?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:33 pm 
How can you be an owner of 14 years and want to de-regulate your area, I'm sorry Gus I don't believe you,

As for the article, no I didn't tbh, and if I did it'd be flawed anyway, if you can have a saloon all you will end up with is a fleet of £3k bangers driven by £3 drivers,

Anyway I'll leave it there as it's going nowhere as usual, have a great day at the county court some time soon matey.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:57 pm 

Feck me a owner driver who want dereg ? Do you mean ph owner ? The vast majority here who would swap over is ph end of fact.Its never been as cheap on days or nights to rent.Ive heard very few hackney drivers who wNt derestriction,they dont wNt to run their own vehicles thats why they rent.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:11 pm 

Doom wrote:
How can you be an owner of 14 years and want to de-regulate your area, I'm sorry Gus I don't believe you,
We've been delimited here for most of that time and frankly, I don't give a schecht what you believe.
It may be deregulation where you are, but here they don't dish out badges along with the leaflets in 20 odd languages telling folks how to apply for a council house. It takes time and effort to get a badge here - Taxi or PH because the standard is the same.
If your lot had worked for decent driver standards, your manor might not be populated out with drivers who will work stupid long hours for stupid little money and pay inflated rent to lazy parasitic barstewards who like to talk for the drivers but in reality protect their own little investments.

Quote:
have a great day at the county court some time soon matey.

We don't have those here or bailiffs either. You'll just have to enthral me with your own experiences. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:16 pm 

blackpool wrote:
Feck me a owner driver who want dereg ? Do you mean ph owner ?

Nope, I mean taxi owner and driver.
(Taxi is defined in the Civic Government Scotland Act of 1982 and is the equivalent of your HC)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:33 pm 
Wrong again Gus, deregulated in 1990 because of a man just like yourself who wanted to baron a fleet of WAV's and even employed a council official to make it happen until he had what he wanted, so no 18 hr drivers back then, that lasted until 1997 when the federation said enough is enough, since then you've seen 5 seaters become 8 seaters which in turn = 2 in 1 car,

Driver standards eh, do tell me how you enforce to a licencing office, the licencing office tells you how it's going to be and when I enquired about a few things the reply was European legislation and we can't do feck all about it, so be thankful your LO has taken a sensible stand, but I do believe soon that will be removed and anyone with 2 arms and legs and 200 quid will be eligible, nice thought eh, welcome to my world,

Why does reading you look like Sussex wrote it? are you another of his secret ego's telling the world how it is or should be, I'll show you how it is, watch the Hunt for Red October film and take note of the scene near the end where the Russian sub commander gets told by the crew.....you urganass you've killed us, as their own torpedo slams into the boat, anyway I was getting to think you could be conversed with sensibly, sadly I got it wrong and you can't, and you'd make a fine double agent imo.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:04 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Are there many plate barons in Newcastle under Lyme?

Not any more.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:06 pm 

Doom wrote:
Why does reading you look like Sussex wrote it?

Because you are thick.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:13 pm 

Quote:
Driver standards eh, do tell me how you enforce to a licencing office, the licencing office tells you how it's going to be and when I enquired about a few things the reply was European legislation and we can't do feck all about it, so be thankful your LO has taken a sensible stand, but I do believe soon that will be removed and anyone with 2 arms and legs and 200 quid will be eligible, nice thought eh, welcome to my world,

The LO is the monkey. You should have gone to the organ grinder, instead of swallowing a load of pish about non existent European legislation.
Now tell the truth. The driver standards were non-existent because it suited the plate holders to have a big pool of cheap mugs. When the lid came off, you were all royally screwed.

Doom wrote:
Why does reading you look like Sussex wrote it? are you another of his secret ego's telling the world how it is or should be, I'll show you how it is, watch the Hunt for Red October film and take note of the scene near the end where the Russian sub commander gets told by the crew.....you urganass you've killed us, as their own torpedo slams into the boat, anyway I was getting to think you could be conversed with sensibly, sadly I got it wrong and you can't, and you'd make a fine double agent imo.

Do you think every [edited by admin] who doesn't agree with you is Sussex? Maybe Skull is right about you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:05 pm 

gusmac wrote:
Wanna bet the 51 applicants all currently rent from the 51 existing licence holders? And the members of Newcastle Hackney Carriage Association are mostly the existing licence holders?

I'd like to see that waiting list......51 plates 51 on a waiting list?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:08 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Not any more.

maybe not, but those PH barons with circuits will be rubbing their filthy paws

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:27 pm 

captain cab wrote:
maybe not, but those PH barons with circuits will be rubbing their filthy paws

Maybe not, as PH drivers and owners now have other options available.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:43 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Maybe not, as PH drivers and owners now have other options available.

I'm not as sure as a maybe......in fact NUL is so sh*te I'd expect all vehicles would need radio circuits to survive post dereg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next