Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:41 am 

sasha wrote:
So basically you're wanting to legalise what is currently illegal plying for hire ?

Illegal in what way?

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:55 am 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
sasha wrote:
So basically you're wanting to legalise what is currently illegal plying for hire ?

Illegal in what way?

Plying on a 'street' parked up not on a rank.

100% illegal.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:23 pm 
sasha wrote:
Doom wrote:
I'm talking of the ability to sit opp a good pub or club where there isn't a rank.

We seem to have the opposite happening round here, HC already park outside every busy venue whether there's a rank there or not and the PH tend to sit and wait for bookings in side streets. I'm not going to say that some PH don't take walk-ups but it's so negligible that it's not a problem round here.

My argument was that if you're going to change the rules so that it benefits one side of the trade, possibly to the detriment of the other, then there should be a change in the rules to BOTH sides. You've said that PH have no right to expect anything other than pre booking custom, which is true, but what happens to those bookings from pubs, clubs, shops and other busy areas if hacks were allowed to park outside the front door ?

You quite rightly get angry when you see a line of PH outside a venue making themselves available for hire, but on the other side of the fence how would you feel if, as a PH, you knew you will never get a booking from the busiest venue in town because there is always half a dozen HC parked outside ranking illegaly ?

I have actually been there Sasha, I was a PH OD for 11 years, it was PH offices that drove me to the other side with their badass ways of re-directing and favouring, and I am aware of the dummy who books and then flags as well so I understand the frustration of that, for many years I always turned a blind eye to a PH doing the street hire because back then it in one way helped a bit and there were such a small % of drivers who would take the risk, but today it's every immigrant who thinks it's his right to ply for hire publicly, and a few British ones as well and it's got to the stage where there simply isn't enough to go around, I liken them in their manner to a pickpocket whose found his mark and is waiting for the ideal moment to fleece the victim.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:32 pm 

Hey Doom answer all the question not half of it :wink:

Sasha wrote:
You quite rightly get angry when you see a line of PH outside a venue making themselves available for hire, but on the other side of the fence how would you feel if, as a PH, you knew you will never get a booking from the busiest venue in town because there is always half a dozen HC parked outside ranking illegaly ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:56 pm 
toots wrote:
Hey Doom answer all the question not half of it :wink:

Sasha wrote:

Ok sorry mum please forgive me and don't put me in that cupboard for 12 hours again, I really am sorry :lol:

Well the HC maybe ranked illegally and that is why I wrote this thread, but if they aren't there the PH moves in, or at least locally it does anyway, I nearly had fistles a few years ago with 3 of them, I came out of an unsighted club and said to one having a good thieve are we, he got all up about it, so I said show me the data head then, got refused and by this time 2 more had joined him, one being a PH office manager who tried the old don't you know who we are and who we work for, well see his face when I told him I was fighting with his bosses many moons ago and they were my mates anyway (we used to kill downtime practicing on each other in the back room, I know it looks bad but it's the sort of thing one does when your in your 20's for a laugh) as they both have a (justified) rep for being a bit half tasty this made the turds move instantly, all 3 were off in seconds, asshole trouble y'see, no bottle even at 3-1 against a bloke who'd been on the lash all night

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:07 pm 

Well we have the opposite problem here so much so the licensing have sent out a letter, with among other things, that stated "Ranking in West Kirby & Oxton Village. A number of complaints have been received regarding hackney carriages parking outside licensed premises in both West Kirby and Oxton Village waiting for a fare. Please be aware that this practice is causing a nuisance to residents. Drivers must make their way to the nearest available rank and observe the road markings". Unfortunately for them they didn't request much by way of ranks in the outlaying areas of the Wirral, in fact I think they had some removed so they wouldn't show on the SUD but those areas are now very popular at the weekends. Cake and eat it springs to mind :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:48 pm 

Doom wrote:
Well the HC maybe ranked illegally and that is why I wrote this thread, but if they aren't there the PH moves in

Maybe the PH are parked there because if they don't the HC move in ! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:17 am 
sasha wrote:
Doom wrote:
Well the HC maybe ranked illegally and that is why I wrote this thread, but if they aren't there the PH moves in

Maybe the PH are parked there because if they don't the HC move in ! :wink:

Well if thatys the case who has more right, the instant public gratification mob or someone who shouldn't be there full stop,

Make no mistake Sasha PH is supposed to run to furnish the wanting ringing customer, it's not there to intercept hack ranks is it,

FWIW when I was PH I used to dream of breaking free from the office, I used to suggest the same stupid things other PHD's suggest, it wasn't until I bought a plate I realised how wrong I'd been, and without wishing to upset you from my angle I realised I had been some little man trying to be one of the proper boys, as I bought in all my proper aspirations became reality, basically PH is a service that runs when finger clicked to, Hacks isn't, it's a proper agreement between driver and punter conducted in a proper manner most times, PH with it's silly discount cards etc is seen by the punter as something to p[oke and prod, where Hacks is do you want to go or not, i.e we don't have a master telling you to do a job that swallows 55% of the profits, I think if anything needs to change in this job it's the master slave combo of PH, I'm all for letting every PHC have it's own ops licence so those who provide a real service can break away from an office, as long as they adhere to the proper rules.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:46 am 

Doom wrote:
sasha wrote:
basically PH is a service that runs when finger clicked to, Hacks isn't, it's a proper agreement between driver and punter conducted in a proper manner most times, PH with it's silly discount cards etc is seen by the punter as something to p[oke and prod, where Hacks is do you want to go or not,

You do talk some tosh.

Only you could say a properly logged booking isn't a proper agreement, yet some pi** head falling into the first cab on the rank is. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:59 pm 
Sussex wrote:
Doom wrote:
sasha wrote:
basically PH is a service that runs when finger clicked to, Hacks isn't, it's a proper agreement between driver and punter conducted in a proper manner most times, PH with it's silly discount cards etc is seen by the punter as something to p[oke and prod, where Hacks is do you want to go or not,

You do talk some tosh.

Only you could say a properly logged booking isn't a proper agreement, yet some pi** head falling into the first cab on the rank is. :lol:

Properly logged on a booking isn't a problem, sitting outside a busy pub unallocated is though, simples innit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:12 pm 

Doom wrote:
Properly logged on a booking isn't a problem, sitting outside a busy pub unallocated is though, simples innit.

You're quite right Doom but neither is sitting outside a pub when it isn't a rank is just as bad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:19 pm 
toots wrote:
Doom wrote:

You're quite right Doom but neither is sitting outside a pub when it isn't a rank is just as bad

It is as the law stands Toots, but tell me what better way to get rid of the not honest PHC than to have a Hack sat there already, and also not have ranks that are overanked, unless the council decides to extend and make new ranks there isn't enough space to go around,

I mentioned the shutting of a rank soon, the reason is because 3 abreast PH touts are blocking the only road in and out, also hacks over rank there as well despite being asked not to, but the main reason the hacks are stacked up is because of two reasons, the PH nicking the jobs and the drivers who are not British fleecing the public, it's been boom time for the other PH firm located nearby, a lot of the custom walks to their office now, and this firm tends to not have the touting issues the other one does.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:17 pm 

Doom wrote:
It is as the law stands Toots, but tell me what better way to get rid of the not honest PHC than to have a Hack sat there already, and also not have ranks that are overanked, unless the council decides to extend and make new ranks there isn't enough space to go around,

I'm sorry Doom but I can't condone illegalities regardless of whom or why they are so. Two wrongs don't make a right etc etc etc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:38 pm 

Doom wrote:

What you can't grasp, or choose to ignore, is that PH can sit where they like (other than a rank, and adhering to road markings), whilst your lot can't.

Just accept your limitations and move on. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:05 pm 

Doom wrote:
unless the council decides to extend and make new ranks there isn't enough space to go around,

Then the solution is to reduce the number of HC until there is ! (just trying to wind you up :wink: )

We seem to have gone from Doom's suggestion in his original post about allowing HC to park wherever they want to the reasons why he wants to do so. The problem seems to be that both PH and HC are breaking laws of different types, some in order to prevent the others from breaking the law. This requires more and better enforcement by the relevant authority.

However until we all live in this Utopian world where PH don't pick up without bookings and HC don't rank where they shouldn't we should all remember that as drivers when we were first issued a licence we agreed to abide by a set of rules, we shouldn't then complain about these rules after the fact, or disregard them and do whatever we please. Sadly we don't live in such a world and we can moan and complain all we like, but what's the solution - keep going the route of gradually ignoring more and more laws until we end up with a free for all or something else ?

Is all this really just down to a shortage of rank space ?!?!? Will all these problems be solved if more ranks are created, or indeed HC could rank wherever they liked, which from the sound of it they already do :?: