Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:55 am 

roythebus wrote:
Yes, you seem to be right there. I have a similar mindset to the gent from Blueline in some ways, challenging laws (that isn't going to cost me £50k :shock: ), but as you say, it appears he didn't learn from the earlier skirmish.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the Blueline case, merely stating what I had heard at a meeting at which he was present.

The laws need to be changed to get up to date with technology!

I heard a little story that Blueline stated in 1958 as a taxi company with 10 vehicles - the chap that started them got rid of the taxis and went minicab - which was unlicensed in those days.

Now, the thing about all of this is - people tell me that technology has changed things - but in my relatively short time in the trade - I have seen over the past 3 - 4 decades taxi and private hire companies embrace all manner of new fangled things from two way radios - to iphone apps - to say that the trades havent embraced technology (and i know you havent said that) is a myth put about by some.

Additionally, if people are citing old or bad legislation - they should consider how much certain companies have grown - as I stated earlier, the company we mention started with 10 cabs - it now has many fold that.

The fundemental principle behind private hire is the private hire operator - the law dictates that all three PH licenses should match and the area where the call is received should be the area of license.

It appears to me - what some PH operators want is a base in a large City where they can source vehicles and drivers with different licenses from different areas.

The above scenario is ridiculous from the point of view of the public - if a complaint is made enquiries could transgress many differing licensing regimes - and cost time and money.

A driver could commit an offence in Liverpool, whilst doing work for an operator licensed in Manchester, whilst driving a vehicle from Rossendale with a Preston drivers license.

If the job was passed on to another operator, the above scenario is even more confusing.

People cite London as working perfectly well - I think those people should ask the London cab trade about how well the system works in London.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:57 pm 

roythebus wrote:

What kind of technology is being stopped from being used under the current system?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:01 pm 

Sussex wrote:
What kind of technology is being stopped from being used under the current system?

Carrier pigeon? :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:43 pm 

Personally I think Technology is being used as an excuse for 'I want a bigger pool of drivers and more money'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:14 pm 

Sussex wrote:
roythebus wrote:

That's not what I said. Please re- read what I wrote. Bookings can be made by computer; the receiving computer could be in Abu Dhabi for all you know; by mobile phone to a mobile phone that could be anywhere; by 0845 phone number, which again could be anywhere. The law does not take these into account.

I'm not defending Mr.Blueline, Mr.Addison lee and the likes, or indeed the big bus companies which I've tangled with in the past on the other side of my business.

the customer/passenger, call them what you will, wants to get from A to B safely, is taxed and insured, the driver is licenced, is there when he wants to go, and at reasonable cost. He doesn't usually give a damn where the car is licenced, whether it is p/h or taxi, just that it's going to meet the above criteria.

Too many small taxi and ph operators in my area ONLY have mobile numbers on their cars and business cards, so if something goes wrong, there is virtually no way of tracing them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:02 pm 

roythebus wrote:
Bookings can be made by computer; the receiving computer could be in Abu Dhabi for all you know; by mobile phone to a mobile phone that could be anywhere; by 0845 phone number, which again could be anywhere. The law does not take these into account.

I think the law does take that into account, and it's illegal.

I agree with what the judge said about local accountability. Someone somewhere has got to ensure the operator is acting within the law.

The law might seem very antiquated to some, but it's not. Where the call is answered is where the licenses should located. Plain and simple.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:07 pm 

How would this apply to a 100% HC company taking telephone bookings?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:12 pm 

cabbyman wrote:

There's no PH operators license for taxi companies.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:29 pm 

cabbyman wrote:

As the Captain says at present it doesn't, but if ever a time came it did I would assume as long as the bookings are taken within the district then no problem.