Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: TX4 or the Vito?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:03 pm 

GBC wrote:
46K miles covered.

Lazy bar-steward :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:54 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
GBC wrote:
46K miles covered.

Lazy? Nah, GBC just doesn't need to do the extra miles chasing around to make up for giving a discount. :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:32 pm 

grandad wrote:
skippy41 wrote:
GBC wrote:
46K miles covered.

Lazy? Nah, GBC just doesn't need to do the extra miles chasing around to make up for giving a discount. :wink: :mrgreen:

Ouch =D> =D>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:57 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:01 pm 

GBC wrote:
The mass air flow sensor decided to shut the engine down to half power last week.

I couldn't be arsed calling S&B to book it in again, so I used the Merc 24 call out.

Within an hour they were out, sensor re-callibrated on the laptop, and the air flow mechanism cleaned out.

Must remember them if it happens again, its free for the first 3 years.

Mercedes Vito 109 cdi converted by Bernard Mansell, Ecu Remap, use miller,s two stroke oil in diesel.

The good new's is 100.000 miles clocked up yesterday never broken down or been off the road through waiting for spares

service around £250 spares used set of pads, two window regulators,rear wiper motor, rear wheel speed sensor at last service £20.

Compared too my associates with E7. and Renault Traffic :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

Now that ive given it the kiss of death what to come injector,s fuel pump ??? wallet busting according to honest john,s web site

Merry Xmas to all and prosperous new year :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:52 pm 

Got a nice Christmas present from S&B Mercedes at welham green through the post today.

A bill for £259 for calling out Mercedes 24 re my last post.

This is even though it's under warranty, was a mechanical fault and it has a merc service package.

Not happy. :evil:

The air filter was minging which caused the engine management light, and half power mode to activate.

This was meant to have been replaced, and has been ticked as being replaced at its last 2 spanner service, 5000 miles ago!

I'll be in to see them next week.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:21 am 

GBC wrote:
Had its annual inspection today and passed with flying colours.

Cost me new pads x 4pr, two tyres, a 4 wheel alignment (feels lovely to drive now) a headlamp check with an MOT garage, and some deep cleaning by yours truely.

All in all, under £500 which I'm more than happy with.

Thats probably this ones last plate as I'll be looking for a new one next year, lets see whats on the market by then.

Is it true that you have gone through 2 new turbos and been back on 17 occasions to get the RWS sorted on your Vito taxi?

thank you

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:25 am 

Nope.

1 EGR replaced, RWS repaired by KPM 8 times, fixed again by S&B back in the spring and its been good since.

What are you driving now? Metro again?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:50 pm 

GBC wrote:
Nope.

1 EGR replaced, RWS repaired by KPM 8 times, fixed again by S&B back in the spring and its been good since.

What are you driving now? Metro again?

Glad you got the steering issue resolved, any idea what the final fix actually entailed?

I must confess that I am somewhat suprised to say the least that the issue was not a recall issued by either ltph or vosa, perhaps ltph have not been made aware of the remaining issue?....I mean, for vito drivers to come forward and inform them of the problem would be akin to a Turkey voting for Christmas :lol:

Yep, I still have a Metrocab right now, a ttt this time, been a fairly reliable cab so far with just the battery, alternator & exhaust needing replacing this year. Does the job whilst keeping the business overheads to a minimum though I conceed that it is heavy on fuel, 20-22 extra urban and 30-33mpg on motorways, doing a bit @ flers and a bit in town returns about 24mpg on average.
I still have 5 plates remaining on this steed but am always open to suitable alternatives as & when they may or may not arise.

How are you finding the fuel return from the vito & is it an e4 or 5?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:13 pm 

GBC wrote:
The mass air flow sensor decided to shut the engine down to half power last week.

I couldn't be arsed calling S&B to book it in again, so I used the Merc 24 call out.

Within an hour they were out, sensor re-callibrated on the laptop, and the air flow mechanism cleaned out.

Must remember them if it happens again, its free for the first 3 years.

IF it happens again when out of warranty (if you keep it that long) then you can disconnect a battery terminal (pref earth) which will reset fault codes and take engine out of 'limp home mode', then spray the hot wire in the Mafi (air flow sensor) with a quick blast of electrical contact spray.

I am uncertain if this works on a vito to be honest but I know for sure it does work with other cars, the Mafi should not need recalibrating via a laptop as the parameters are set within the ecu and not changeable.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:09 pm 

RWS went again last night.

Luckily it re centered itself and enabled me to disconnect it and carry on working.

Another trip to KPMs coming up.

The t***s at SandB insisted a few leafs in the air filter were the cause of the shutdown before Xmas, I spoke with the 2 former head Merc mechanics at Kpm who just laughed.
it seems the mass air flow sensors are a big problem, so I'll be fighting the £250 charge even if it involves using the legal side of my driver representative body.

I'm now pinning all hopes on this Nissan NV conversion, I'm giving up on Allied and their promises to take in the PCO. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:12 pm 

And to answer Eze, I reckon about 26 - 28 ish.

Not great, but the Euro 5 is meant to be better.

Here's hoping the NV lives up to our expectations.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:30 pm 

S&B at Hatfield decided to waive the charge and agreed it was a warranty job.

Just got to get the RWS done for the 67th time now.

Had its best mpg trip ever to Edinburgh yesterday, herts to here for £55 in derv. That's good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:02 am 

Had to get Western Mercedes out from Boroxburn whilst up in Scotland last night.

Air flow sensor activated EML again. Mechanic told me Edinburgh cabs are also having problems with this.

Its a quick repair, but it's getting tiresome now. :sad:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:59 am 

GBC wrote:
Had to get Western Mercedes out from Boroxburn whilst up in Scotland last night.

Air flow sensor activated EML again. Mechanic told me Edinburgh cabs are also having problems with this.

Its a quick repair, but it's getting tiresome now. :sad:

It's that duff air north of the border mate.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next