Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:11 am 
Andy7 wrote:
Hmmmmmm. Yes. :?

If PH became incognito, then I suppose we would go back to arguing about foriegn Taxis picking up in "our" area. Just like the good old days.

Perhaps, if we went single-tier, delimited, national legislation, then we should also get rid of zones, so an out of area Hackney could be flagged anywhere? But could only use ranks in his local area? :wink: After all, buses are not limited to a specific zone or area. They can trade anywhere.

no Andy they cannot, they are licensed for thier region and they can cross boundaries for only 15 miles and only then if they start a new route on the boundary.

as someone who lives by a bus regional boundary we get this all the time
First Manchester can manage to get a bus into our station on these rules Alas First calderdale cannot get a bus into Manchester station

tut tut Andy.

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:38 am 

Andy7 wrote:
Perhaps, if we went single-tier, delimited, national legislation, then we should also get rid of zones, so an out of area Hackney could be flagged anywhere? But could only use ranks in his local area? :wink: After all, buses are not limited to a specific zone or area. They can trade anywhere.

Well I'm up for that Andy7.

As soon as I get my HC Skoda, up to the West End of the smoke, or Heathrow I shall go. :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:38 pm 

I'm led to believe that touting is to become a recordable offense (I can't work out why it isn't now :? ), so perhaps those that try it on and give others a poxy name, will have to think twice.

And if they don't, well bang them up.

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:23 pm 

Wharfie wrote:
Andy7 wrote:

If PH became incognito, then I suppose we would go back to arguing about foriegn Taxis picking up in "our" area. Just like the good old days.

no Andy they cannot, they are licensed for thier region and they can cross boundaries for only 15 miles and only then if they start a new route on the boundary.

First Manchester can manage to get a bus into our station on these rules Alas First calderdale cannot get a bus into Manchester station

tut tut Andy.

Wharfie

Wow Wharfie, your rules up there are totally different to ours!

If we want to start a bus route, we just register it then start operating it. There is no such thing as a 15 mile rule around here.

While we can operate a route into London, we cant operate "within" London, so-to-speak. As such, I presume you are in a PTA area?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:10 am 
Andy7 wrote:
Wharfie wrote:
Andy7 wrote:

tut tut Andy.

Wharfie

If we want to start a bus route, we just register it then start operating it. There is no such thing as a 15 mile rule around here.

While we can operate a route into London, we cant operate "within" London, so-to-speak. As such, I presume you are in a PTA area?

its in the 85 transport act matey, the bus must be registered with the traffic commission only for thier region then you run the route not more than 15 miles but when thats up you can run another route and so on.

but when you hit a commissioners boundary thats it or at least another 15 miles. if you do the cps you are told this and do excersises on 15 miles it beccomes a ball ache.

perhaps Andy youve never studied this living in the centre of a region its never been your concern?

but take it from me cross boundary is very thorney.

incidentaly the coaches are something else they aint busses but excersions.

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:37 am 
Wharfie wrote:
Alex wrote:
Cruisin' Cabby wrote:
The regulations are being set down in London to make all licensed LPH vehicles easily identifiable
Cruisin' Cabby

What easy identification do you think the Cab trade will accept Cruisin?

Perhaps a ten foot high sign with the words 'TOUT' on. :wink:

Alex

another one taking the [edited by admin].

Wharfie

Of course they are taking the [edited by admin] Wharfie.
The more Cruisin puts a point that confounds them the more will come these sorts of replies, then will come the abuse.

You remeber the old forums. This was the form.

Claude :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:04 am 

Wharfie wrote:
Andy7 wrote:
Wharfie wrote:
Andy7 wrote:

tut tut Andy.

Wharfie

its in the 85 transport act matey, the bus must be registered with the traffic commission only for thier region then you run the route not more than 15 miles but when thats up you can run another route and so on.

but when you hit a commissioners boundary thats it or at least another 15 miles. if you do the cps you are told this and do excersises on 15 miles it beccomes a ball ache.

perhaps Andy youve never studied this living in the centre of a region its never been your concern?

but take it from me cross boundary is very thorney.

incidentaly the coaches are something else they aint busses but excersions.

Wharfie

Aha, yes. I see now exactly what you mean Wharfie. You are indeed correct in that the London example I gave is a "coach or express bus" service as it doesnt have multiple stopping places outside our area when heading into london, and again, as you suggest, other than London-bound we can go nearly 150 miles before we get into another region. The truth is, the only boundary we have ever crossed is London.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:10 pm 

Where do you operate from then Andy7, Siberia? :D

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:58 pm 

Alex wrote:
Where do you operate from then Andy7, Siberia? :D

Alex

Mid Essex, Alex. Not quite Siberia. But our LA is Cambridge, and the Eatern Traffic area goes right up to the Midlands and beyond up the East Coast. Eastern Traffic is a big boundary free area. Totally unlike where Wharfie is with his Metropolitan districts and PTAs and LA boundaries all crossing each other, and, apparently tripping over each other, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:30 pm 

Anyone read the article in CTN about TfL's possible U-turn??

The T&G don't seem too impressed by the Transport Research Laboratory (TRL) report which said that U-turns were dangerous.

The author makes a big noise about the fact that the TRL report shows that only 4.6% of cabs were involved in U-turn accidents, as compared to 9.4% involved in right turn accidents.

But how many right turns does a cab do compared to U-turns? They will probably do a maximum of one U-turn per trip, as compared to several right turns, let's say five per trip??

Even if half of all journeys involved a U-turn, then for each U-turn peformed the driver will do around 10 right turns.

So if right turns were to be as dangerous as U-turns almost 50% of all cabs would have to be involved in right turn accidents, as compared to the quoted figure of less than 10%.

Dusty :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:46 pm 

The CTN report also states:

"Observations by a GPS satellite, that only worked part-time and apparently kept breaking down, came to the unbelievable conclusion that a London cab driver does a U-turn only once in every four days. This has brought forth hoots of derision from the trade."

Not quite.

Cab Direct's press release announcing legal action against TfL said:

The TRL...survey...found that the taxi driver made use of a tight turning circle (ie more than 80% of the available steering lock) approximately once every four days.

Not quite the same, is it? No wonder there's 'hoots of derision' from the trade.

Dusty :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:09 am 
Jesus! I think they should ban right turns if they are that dangerous!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:06 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:
Anyone read the article in CTN about TfL's possible U-turn which said that U-turns were dangerous.

But why should the T&G allow the truth to get in the way of a good story (or maybe not), in CTN.

U-turns are dangerous, ask anyone with a brain, or the insurance companies. The only ones promoting them, are those that should be protecting us.

But don't. :( :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12